Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Gold solid as numero uno with USFS?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Mark the date and the time - I'm actually agreeing with everything pantongfan said in the last post!!!!

Totally agree about Polina but I'm reminded at how young she is. I think this coming Nationals will be a turning point for her - one way or another. It's relatively easy to skate your best when there isn't any pressure on you and no one has expectations for you. That will all change this year.

I wish the best for Mirai but am placing her under the same category as Sasha Cohen. It's titled "if only......."
    Sasha atleast had a wonderful career though with many world medals, a grand prix final title (which is almost like a world title), an Olympic silver. Not what could have been, but still outstanding. Mirai sadly will almost certainly never come even close to those heights. In fact no matter how hard she tries at this point, her best days are probably behind her, especialy with her lack of USFSA love and support (for whatever reason) she now gets. I am not sure what she could ever do to make her a favorite of theirs with so many younger U.S skaters on the rise, and no real strong international results in forever.

Her real window was 2010-2012. That is when she needed to step it up and deliver. 2010 worlds was the biggest blown opportunity, along with probably 2011 Nationals. Had she established herself then it would probably make her a top skater stilil now. Unfortunately now her skating has declined even on a good day, and she isn't rewarded even that well even when she skates well as she isn't really in favor either in the U.S or out of it at this point, with so long passed not living up to hopes/expectations, and all the new skaters to emerge in the interim.

Custom Title
    I think if Gracie is clean or nearly clean, she'll stay on top. If she struggles, Ashley could overtake her. Ashley is still pretty solid, I think.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Sasha atleast had a wonderful career though with many world medals, a grand prix final title (which is almost like a world title), an Olympic silver. Not what could have been, but still outstanding. Mirai sadly will almost certainly never come even close to those heights. In fact no matter how hard she tries at this point, her best days are probably behind her, especialy with her lack of USFSA love and support (for whatever reason) she now gets. I am not sure what she could ever do to make her a favorite of theirs with so many younger U.S skaters on the rise, and no real strong international results in forever.

Her real window was 2010-2012. That is when she needed to step it up and deliver. 2010 worlds was the biggest blown opportunity, along with probably 2011 Nationals. Had she established herself then it would probably make her a top skater stilil now. Unfortunately now her skating has declined even on a good day, and she isn't rewarded even that well even when she skates well as she isn't really in favor either in the U.S or out of it at this point, with so long passed not living up to hopes/expectations, and all the new skaters to emerge in the interim.
    Yeah, I put Cohen closer to Kostner, minus the longevity--very very talented, won many medals, but wasn't necessarily able to deliver on the HUGE HUGE potential there.

Mirai is a classic "what could have been" situation. She had the talent to succeed but she blew too many opportunities and for whatever reason rumors about her work ethic abounded. These two factors, plus her split from Frank, prevented her from reaching her full potential. Ah well. I'd still like to see her skate solidly even though I don't think she'll ever be an international threat.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Mark the date and the time - I'm actually agreeing with everything pantongfan said in the last post!!!!

Totally agree about Polina but I'm reminded at how young she is. I think this coming Nationals will be a turning point for her - one way or another. It's relatively easy to skate your best when there isn't any pressure on you and no one has expectations for you. That will all change this year.

I wish the best for Mirai but am placing her under the same category as Sasha Cohen. It's titled "if only......."
    I think Gracie is the one to beat right now. I like Marai but think she will have to coach up before the federation gives her any due. I don't care for Ashley and she tends to struggle at Nats, but she does score well internationally. Polina is young and time will tell what will happen to her as her body changes. She could be great or she could implode like Kimmy Meisner.

Shoe Diva
    I think that because its a question, we should all assume there is no USFSA "favorite." Good, bad, or indifferent, the USFSA doesn't seem comfortable holding any skater up simply because of reputation. After last year's Nationals and the lack of individual medals at the Olympics, I see the USFSA putting the responsibility on the skaters to show up this season, esp at Nationals, and putting together two solid skates and earning that top spot.

This tends to happen after an Olympic cycle when the youngsters are given the opportunity to shine and the older skaters reaffirm their hold. Its always an interesting time and I for one am looking forward to this next cycle as I've been underwhelmed with the US ladies and men. But I'm a skating fan and we are an optimistic bunch...right until we have reason to be cynical....

Custom Title
    especialy with her lack of USFSA love and support (for whatever reason) she now gets.
    Repeat after me: MIRAI GOT SKATE AMERICA.

Can we quit with the "USFSA hates Mirai" rubbish now please?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I think there is a good chance of Polina being on top this season (or deserving to be, anyway). She is more musical than Gracie and already very competitive technically. She also definitely seems like the kind of person who improves quickly and would learn from her Olympic/Worlds experiences. If she has worked on adding more speed and projection into her skating, then watch out.
    I'm so glad someone finally said this. I'm so tired of people underselling Polina because they're annoyed she dared to beat Mirai. And I don't agree with the argument that she came into Nationals with no pressure, she may have come in with no media hope but read the piece from 2010 where they talk to her mother and her coach about their goals for her. The internal pressure on that kid was undoubtedly huge. It might not have been the fans' or the media's plan for Polina to be in Sochi but her team was definitely gunning for it so I do think there was pressure especially after she found herself in second after the short with two bigger names trailing her.

I won't be the least bit surprised if she makes the GPF and/or wins Nationals. That said I think the main one to get in Gracie's way will be Gracie herself.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    ... Is Christina still competing this year? ...
    Yes, Christina Gao is competing this year. Cup of China and NHK are her GP assignments.

Shoe Diva
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Repeat after me: MIRAI GOT SKATE AMERICA.

Can we quit with the "USFSA hates Mirai" rubbish now please?
    I agree with this... Mirai's issues have to do with her, not USFSA. Plus, after the outpouring of support for her after last year's Nationals, the USFSA would stupid NOT to support her, hence the Skate America assignment. We all want Mirai to be successful and show off her oodles of talent, but she needs to want the same thing for herself. We shall see...

Custom Title
    Gracie needs to step up her consistency, otherwise Polina can overtake her (especially given Polina's higher difficulty). I think on an off-day for Gracie, Wagner can certainly beat her -- after all, she would have beaten Gracie at Worlds if she had attempted a 3F+2T in her SP, instead of the 3F+3T<<.

Another thing is Gracie has only had two 190+ performances, and is showing some technical decline (lower jumps, wonky axel, a fall in every FS). I think she'll get it together over the summer and cement herself as the US #1, but right now, there's no clear-without-a-doubt US favourite. If there were a competition right now, I'd actually wager on Polina to put out the cleanest performance... once Polina's speed improves, the judges will have to raise her PCS (or at least close the PCS gap between Polina and Wagner/Gold), and with her technical difficulty she is the US skater to watch.

skating philosopher
    Polina isn't as blazing fast as Gracie, but she isn't a snail either. I'd say she's above average and she has pretty good skating skills/ice coverage. That's my impression having seen her in-person.

She needs more development in the choreography department, but others say she does have some musicality.

Rinkside
    I think she will stay #1 for atleast another season. After that who knows. I could easily see Edmunds overtaking her before too long. I wouldn't write off Hicks for the future just yet, and some new talents will emerge. I also would be surprised to see her head into 2018 as still U.S #1 but we will see.
    Edmunds is still somewhat of a question mark since we don't know what'll happen once she fills out more. Just 2 seasons ago she was a chronic underrotator and fixed a lot of that this season. Hicks is also a question. She has the jumps but her polish, neatness, and artistry are just and . I don't think she'll ever develop enough in those areas to become the top US lady. We have some promising juniors coming up and it'll be interesting what they'll do on the senior scene (my personal favorite is Karen Chen-- she has the spins to equal Lipnitskaia and her jumps are better, but injuries might be an issue for her).

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Polina isn't as blazing fast as Gracie, but she isn't a snail either. I'd say she's above average and she has pretty good skating skills/ice coverage. That's my impression having seen her in-person.

She needs more development in the choreography department, but others say she does have some musicality.
    You know...watching her WC FS earlier today I noticed that the choreo is there and she has nice balletic concepts but where she loses me is the commitment to it. With how crisp and convincing she delivers her technical arsenal, I want to see the same level of commitment to the story or feeling of her programs. The little nuances act like accents do in music but if you don't commit, it almost has a negative effect. Once she gets a better delivery in terms of her choreo I fully expect a thread "Is Polina solid as número UNO with USFS"

The truly amazing thing is how calm she skated at Worlds not having skated the Senior GP and with such limited experience.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    You know...watching her WC FS earlier today I noticed that the choreo is there and she has nice balletic concepts but where she loses me is the commitment to it. With how crisp and convincing she delivers her technical arsenal, I want is to see the same level of commitment to the story or feeling of her programs. The little nuances act like accents do in music but if you don't commit, it almost has a negative effect. Once she gets a better delivery in terms of her choreo I fully expect a thread "Is Polina solid as número UNO with USFS"

The truly amazing thing is how calm she skated at Worlds not having skated the Senior GP and with such limited experience.
    That's my take with her too. I actually was sort of bored by her FS after she did the big jumping passes in the beginning. But I agree that will improve with time.

At least with Ashley, even though she messed up big time, she still tried to commit to the choreography.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I actually was sort of bored by her FS after she did the big jumping passes in the beginning.
    I agree. She doesn't have that spark that we saw from Michelle or Sasha. Even more technical skaters like Tonya, Midori, and Irina had an energy to their performances that made you want to watch until the end. When all of the top competitors are doing 3-3's a skater needs more to stand out.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast