Is Gold solid as numero uno with USFS? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is Gold solid as numero uno with USFS?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
especialy with her lack of USFSA love and support (for whatever reason) she now gets.

Repeat after me: MIRAI GOT SKATE AMERICA.

Can we quit with the "USFSA hates Mirai" rubbish now please?

flutzy13

On the Ice
I think there is a good chance of Polina being on top this season (or deserving to be, anyway). She is more musical than Gracie and already very competitive technically. She also definitely seems like the kind of person who improves quickly and would learn from her Olympic/Worlds experiences. If she has worked on adding more speed and projection into her skating, then watch out.

I'm so glad someone finally said this. I'm so tired of people underselling Polina because they're annoyed she dared to beat Mirai. And I don't agree with the argument that she came into Nationals with no pressure, she may have come in with no media hope but read the piece from 2010 where they talk to her mother and her coach about their goals for her. The internal pressure on that kid was undoubtedly huge. It might not have been the fans' or the media's plan for Polina to be in Sochi but her team was definitely gunning for it so I do think there was pressure especially after she found herself in second after the short with two bigger names trailing her.

I won't be the least bit surprised if she makes the GPF and/or wins Nationals. That said I think the main one to get in Gracie's way will be Gracie herself.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Repeat after me: MIRAI GOT SKATE AMERICA.

Can we quit with the "USFSA hates Mirai" rubbish now please?

I agree with this... Mirai's issues have to do with her, not USFSA. Plus, after the outpouring of support for her after last year's Nationals, the USFSA would stupid NOT to support her, hence the Skate America assignment. We all want Mirai to be successful and show off her oodles of talent, but she needs to want the same thing for herself. We shall see...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Gracie needs to step up her consistency, otherwise Polina can overtake her (especially given Polina's higher difficulty). I think on an off-day for Gracie, Wagner can certainly beat her -- after all, she would have beaten Gracie at Worlds if she had attempted a 3F+2T in her SP, instead of the 3F+3T<<.

Another thing is Gracie has only had two 190+ performances, and is showing some technical decline (lower jumps, wonky axel, a fall in every FS). I think she'll get it together over the summer and cement herself as the US #1, but right now, there's no clear-without-a-doubt US favourite. If there were a competition right now, I'd actually wager on Polina to put out the cleanest performance... once Polina's speed improves, the judges will have to raise her PCS (or at least close the PCS gap between Polina and Wagner/Gold), and with her technical difficulty she is the US skater to watch.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Polina isn't as blazing fast as Gracie, but she isn't a snail either. I'd say she's above average and she has pretty good skating skills/ice coverage. That's my impression having seen her in-person.

She needs more development in the choreography department, but others say she does have some musicality.

smarts1

On the Ice
I think she will stay #1 for atleast another season. After that who knows. I could easily see Edmunds overtaking her before too long. I wouldn't write off Hicks for the future just yet, and some new talents will emerge. I also would be surprised to see her head into 2018 as still U.S #1 but we will see.

Edmunds is still somewhat of a question mark since we don't know what'll happen once she fills out more. Just 2 seasons ago she was a chronic underrotator and fixed a lot of that this season. Hicks is also a question. She has the jumps but her polish, neatness, and artistry are just :slink: and :eek:. I don't think she'll ever develop enough in those areas to become the top US lady. We have some promising juniors coming up and it'll be interesting what they'll do on the senior scene (my personal favorite is Karen Chen-- she has the spins to equal Lipnitskaia and her jumps are better, but injuries might be an issue for her).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina isn't as blazing fast as Gracie, but she isn't a snail either. I'd say she's above average and she has pretty good skating skills/ice coverage. That's my impression having seen her in-person.

She needs more development in the choreography department, but others say she does have some musicality.

You know...watching her WC FS earlier today I noticed that the choreo is there and she has nice balletic concepts but where she loses me is the commitment to it. With how crisp and convincing she delivers her technical arsenal, I want to see the same level of commitment to the story or feeling of her programs. The little nuances act like accents do in music but if you don't commit, it almost has a negative effect. Once she gets a better delivery in terms of her choreo I fully expect a thread "Is Polina solid as número UNO with USFS" :yes:

The truly amazing thing is how calm she skated at Worlds not having skated the Senior GP and with such limited experience. :bow:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You know...watching her WC FS earlier today I noticed that the choreo is there and she has nice balletic concepts but where she loses me is the commitment to it. With how crisp and convincing she delivers her technical arsenal, I want is to see the same level of commitment to the story or feeling of her programs. The little nuances act like accents do in music but if you don't commit, it almost has a negative effect. Once she gets a better delivery in terms of her choreo I fully expect a thread "Is Polina solid as número UNO with USFS" :yes:

The truly amazing thing is how calm she skated at Worlds not having skated the Senior GP and with such limited experience. :bow:

That's my take with her too. I actually was sort of bored by her FS after she did the big jumping passes in the beginning. But I agree that will improve with time.

At least with Ashley, even though she messed up big time, she still tried to commit to the choreography.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I actually was sort of bored by her FS after she did the big jumping passes in the beginning.

I agree. She doesn't have that spark that we saw from Michelle or Sasha. Even more technical skaters like Tonya, Midori, and Irina had an energy to their performances that made you want to watch until the end. When all of the top competitors are doing 3-3's a skater needs more to stand out.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yeah, I put Cohen closer to Kostner, minus the longevity--very very talented, won many medals, but wasn't necessarily able to deliver on the HUGE HUGE potential there.
At least Kostner did win WC in 2012, while Cohen never. :slink: And without the controversy at Sochi, Kostner could have had a silver or even Gold (according to some people), not just bronze since she was so clean.

gold12345

Medalist
That's my take with her too. I actually was sort of bored by her FS after she did the big jumping passes in the beginning. But I agree that will improve with time.

At least with Ashley, even though she messed up big time, she still tried to commit to the choreography.

Agreed. Polina's presentation will hopefully mature with time, but I feel like she's on the right track.

Yes, Polina does seem to be a really confident person. And it helps that she had nothing to lose this year. It's a whole lot different than Gracie who went into Worlds expecting herself to seriously challenge for a medal (she also has dealt with being the so-called "great US ladies hope" since she entered the Sr ranks).

Nothing seemed to faze Polina this year, but that could definitely change as she spends a lot more time on the Sr level. All these skaters are human, and none of them will be calm and collected in competition every time. Polina also has to get though puberty, and hopefully any body changes won't throw her off too much and rattle her in the middle of a competition season. Her jump technique seems pretty sound though, so that might help her make any necessary adjustments.

noskates

Record Breaker
I still say that Polina was under NO pressure this year and that makes a world of difference in competition. I also wonder how Jason is going to handle expectations next year after his successes of this year.

Polina is 16 years old. I imagine puberty isn't an issue anymore. I also think her body isn't going to change that much anymore. If she were 2 or 3 years younger, perhaps! But I do think she'll have to deal with the fact that she very well could win Nationals and in some camps will be expected to do just that. That's different than going to Nats your first year in seniors just for the experience, winning a silver medal and skating in the Olympics. She's probably still pinching herself!!!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Polina is at that age where she might not get any taller but her body will now change for the next year or two and that could change eveything.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Mark the date and the time - I'm actually agreeing with everything pantongfan said in the last post!!!!

Totally agree about Polina but I'm reminded at how young she is. I think this coming Nationals will be a turning point for her - one way or another. It's relatively easy to skate your best when there isn't any pressure on you and no one has expectations for you. That will all change this year.

I wish the best for Mirai but am placing her under the same category as Sasha Cohen. It's titled "if only......."

I love Mirai but she can't be in the same category as an Olympic and Worlds medallist - which Sasha is.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I love Mirai but she can't be in the same category as an Olympic and Worlds medallist - which Sasha is.

Never say never. Carolina Kostner has been written off so many times. Mirai has all the goods and I love her programs. She could surprise this year.

Amei

Record Breaker
Never say never. Carolina Kostner has been written off so many times. Mirai has all the goods and I love her programs. She could surprise this year.

Carolina had the advantage of skating in a country with very little competition for her.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

My issue with Mirai is that in order to skate cleanly she has to resort to slashing her choreo. Kostner has been written off for inconsistency but her artistry and commitment to her program/content is always there. I'm hoping Mirai turns a corner next season though.

NMURA

Medalist
Kostner was the queen of Europe for 7-8 years. At big competitions, she usually could expect favors from the judges, as the only hope to save medals for Europe. Plus she had the strong backing from Cinquanta.