Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is Gold solid as numero uno with USFS?

Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnsaneLily87 View Post
    Yeah, I put Cohen closer to Kostner, minus the longevity--very very talented, won many medals, but wasn't necessarily able to deliver on the HUGE HUGE potential there.
    At least Kostner did win WC in 2012, while Cohen never. And without the controversy at Sochi, Kostner could have had a silver or even Gold (according to some people), not just bronze since she was so clean.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    That's my take with her too. I actually was sort of bored by her FS after she did the big jumping passes in the beginning. But I agree that will improve with time.

At least with Ashley, even though she messed up big time, she still tried to commit to the choreography.
    Agreed. Polina's presentation will hopefully mature with time, but I feel like she's on the right track.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    The truly amazing thing is how calm she skated at Worlds not having skated the Senior GP and with such limited experience.
    Yes, Polina does seem to be a really confident person. And it helps that she had nothing to lose this year. It's a whole lot different than Gracie who went into Worlds expecting herself to seriously challenge for a medal (she also has dealt with being the so-called "great US ladies hope" since she entered the Sr ranks).

Nothing seemed to faze Polina this year, but that could definitely change as she spends a lot more time on the Sr level. All these skaters are human, and none of them will be calm and collected in competition every time. Polina also has to get though puberty, and hopefully any body changes won't throw her off too much and rattle her in the middle of a competition season. Her jump technique seems pretty sound though, so that might help her make any necessary adjustments.

Custom Title
    I still say that Polina was under NO pressure this year and that makes a world of difference in competition. I also wonder how Jason is going to handle expectations next year after his successes of this year.

Polina is 16 years old. I imagine puberty isn't an issue anymore. I also think her body isn't going to change that much anymore. If she were 2 or 3 years younger, perhaps! But I do think she'll have to deal with the fact that she very well could win Nationals and in some camps will be expected to do just that. That's different than going to Nats your first year in seniors just for the experience, winning a silver medal and skating in the Olympics. She's probably still pinching herself!!!

Custom Title
    Polina is at that age where she might not get any taller but her body will now change for the next year or two and that could change eveything.

Rinkside

Amber Glenn?

Looks pretty solid to me. Any chance she could surprise people at Nationals?

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Mark the date and the time - I'm actually agreeing with everything pantongfan said in the last post!!!!

Totally agree about Polina but I'm reminded at how young she is. I think this coming Nationals will be a turning point for her - one way or another. It's relatively easy to skate your best when there isn't any pressure on you and no one has expectations for you. That will all change this year.

I wish the best for Mirai but am placing her under the same category as Sasha Cohen. It's titled "if only......."
    I love Mirai but she can't be in the same category as an Olympic and Worlds medallist - which Sasha is.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I love Mirai but she can't be in the same category as an Olympic and Worlds medallist - which Sasha is.
    Never say never. Carolina Kostner has been written off so many times. Mirai has all the goods and I love her programs. She could surprise this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MK's Winter View Post
    Never say never. Carolina Kostner has been written off so many times. Mirai has all the goods and I love her programs. She could surprise this year.
    Carolina had the advantage of skating in a country with very little competition for her.

Custom Title
    My issue with Mirai is that in order to skate cleanly she has to resort to slashing her choreo. Kostner has been written off for inconsistency but her artistry and commitment to her program/content is always there. I'm hoping Mirai turns a corner next season though.

Custom Title
    Kostner was the queen of Europe for 7-8 years. At big competitions, she usually could expect favors from the judges, as the only hope to save medals for Europe. Plus she had the strong backing from Cinquanta.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    My issue with Mirai is that in order to skate cleanly she has to resort to slashing her choreo. Kostner has been written off for inconsistency but her artistry and commitment to her program/content is always there. I'm hoping Mirai turns a corner next season though.
    Even though the programs weren't 100% I saw a lot of improvement in her programs at Broadmore . Some jumps look like they are getting re-worked,they also looked higher. Choreography is good and she emotes more. That's a lot of improvement for June. She seems to have a renewed attitude and approach for this season. If she keeps it up she could challenge. That's all.

I am also interested to see what Gracie will do for her long. I hope Lori can push her artistically. She does have the best jumps of the US ladies.

Polina is great technically as well. I would like to see her work on selling her programs more. She is young though.

I am hoping Ashley sticks with Shea Lynn for choreography. I really loved the pink Floyd program.

Banned
    Carolina was never written off from never winning a medal at worlds again. Even at her all time low in 2009-2010, everyone always knew she could recover and win atleast one world medal in the future. Mirai has never come close to a world medal, and was written off from ever getting one atleast 2 years ago. Heck people are starting to write Ashley's chances of ever getting one off, and she is in a much better place moving forward than Mirai is despite that I believe Mirai once upon a time (as in many years ago) was far more talented and had far more potential than Ashley even at her peak ever had.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    At least Kostner did win WC in 2012, while Cohen never. And without the controversy at Sochi, Kostner could have had a silver or even Gold (according to some people), not just bronze since she was so clean.
    In a fair world Kostner would unquestionably be the gold or silver medalist from Sochi. Either gold, or silver barely behind Kim. Although Mao should have beaten both ladies in the LP, she would of course be no threat to them in the overall results even with fair judging.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Carolina was never written off from never winning a medal at worlds again. Even at her all time low in 2009-2010, everyone always knew she could recover and win atleast one world medal in the future. Mirai has never come close to a world medal, and was written off from ever getting one atleast 2 years ago. Heck people are starting to write Ashley's chances of ever getting one off, and she is in a much better place moving forward than Mirai is despite that I believe Mirai once upon a time (as in many years ago) was far more talented and had far more potential than Ashley even at her peak ever had.
    That's a null and void conversation about Mirai. She's only had the opportunity to go to Sr. Worlds once (09-10) and she placed 7th. (06-07/07/08 she medalled at Jr. Worlds silver one year and bronze the other). Caro has been every year since 2002. And her results have been all over the place. One year she won a bronze then the next season at worlds landed in 12th place. She also skates for a country where she doesn't have much competition in getting to Worlds, unlike Mirai.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Well obviously they're not exactly the same. But I think their careers were similarly successful, more or less. Many world medals, a championship (kostner: worlds cohen: gpf), olympic medals. Never the absolute best but close.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast