Who will rise to podium in pairs and ice dance? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will rise to podium in pairs and ice dance?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I'm amazed that people think K/S are going to be a factor again. Between their age, history of freak mistakes and injuries and coming back from a major injury, I think they'll be lucky to get through the season in one piece let alone contend.

Yes I agree. They might make the Russian world team as the #3 team (key word "might") but even that will be a big challenge, and that we are even considering that possible probably just means the Russian #3 wont be a medal contender for worlds. They weren't even competitive anymore with a team like Duhamel & Radford when they last competed, and I expect D&R to only be one of many teams shooting for no higher than a bronze at worlds this year realistically.

Brenda

On the Ice
Gabriella Papadakis posted on Instagram about leaving Lyon. Seems that she is moving to Montreal. I take that to mean Papadakis/Cizeron are following Romain Haguenauer in his move to join Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon's school?

I would very much like to see Papadakis/Cizeron and Hurtado/Diaz push each other as training mates to climb the rankings so we can have a full-fledged Montreal vs. Detroit rivalry by 2018.

anyanka

Record Breaker
They are representing Isreal. A tiny federation with no power in the sport. I know one might reference Chait & Shaknovsky being so overscored in the early 2000s, but that was her mobster dad, and nothing to do with the federation IMO. The Russian fed. also wont want one of their former own doing particularly well, and as we saw in Sochi the Russian fed power is as vast and deep as ever (even if not as strong off home turf).

Er ... this is all news to me. I'm intrigued. Had no idea about Galit Chait (back then I watched the Olympics, Euros and Worlds but didn't follow the gossip). Fill me in?

Yes we did see that Russian skating fed is very powerful, and you make a good point that perhaps they won't want to let people think that they let Tkachenko go, to their detriment.

Matt K

On the Ice
Er ... this is all news to me. I'm intrigued. Had no idea about Galit Chait (back then I watched the Olympics, Euros and Worlds but didn't follow the gossip). Fill me in?

Yes we did see that Russian skating fed is very powerful, and you make a good point that perhaps they won't want to let people think that they let Tkachenko go, to their detriment.

I believe Ziggy's article spells everything there is to know about the scandal. L/A were one of the only couples to not have signed the petition against C/S as to not taint their well-deserved WC win.
http://www.oocities.org/ziggyonice/scandal.html

C/S are the couple who skates with an amazing speed but lacks the proper technique. They use toepicks insted of edges (in contrary to D/V) and because of that they gain so much speed. But their edges are not so deep as Lithuanians', they don't get down into the ice as they should.
This sounds eerily similar even now in 2014 but of a different couple:laugh:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Gabriella Papadakis posted on Instagram about leaving Lyon. Seems that she is moving to Montreal. I take that to mean Papadakis/Cizeron are following Romain Haguenauer in his move to join Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon's school?

I would very much like to see Papadakis/Cizeron and Hurtado/Diaz push each other as training mates to climb the rankings so we can have a full-fledged Montreal vs. Detroit rivalry by 2018.

Now that would be lovely. I believe that Didier has been pressuring them to go to one of the Detroit rinks, but I think that would kill their unique style. And the top French ID teams have, for quite some time, been all about a unique--if not downright eccentric--style. It is what makes them so enjoyable to watch. I would hate to see them subjected to a cookie cutter Detroit routine. And an interrink rivalry between P/C and H/D could really be interesting. Lord knows they are two of the most interesting teams currently competing.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Definitely seems they are going to Montreal: http://instagram.com/p/qUTUTwy0fI/

I agree, this is the best news I have heard about them - think Montreal will be a better fit for them than Detroit. Really hope they continue to turn out their style of creative programs.

I love P/C so. I'm thinking of making a fan fest thread for them...

slider11

Medalist
I think I'm singing "Oh, Canada!" for ice dance. I'm a big fan of Weaver and Poje and Gilles and Poirier really grew on me last year with the Hitchcock theme. I still don't quite understand if Pechalat and Bourezat are still in the competitive running. Yes? If so, they obviously have a chance at the podium and maybe the top. But Fabien seems prone to injury and Nathalie's lower lip gorws in to a pout when she doesn't win. They may be past their prime. And I suppose world champs Capellinni and Lanotte are a factor but, again, I think they bed past their apex and should enjoy the benefits of champs and go sell some pasta or skate in shows. The Russians are a mess and complete unkn owns. Such drama! Chock/Bates are good but I'd really like to see the Shibs have a come-back year. Other than the gold medalists, the pairs are another mess. I suppose this "musical chairs" of partners happens after an Olympics but it is discouraging to see good partners split. Samuelson and Bates could have been world champions this year if they had stuck it out.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I believe Ziggy's article spells everything there is to know about the scandal. L/A were one of the only couples to not have signed the petition against C/S as to not taint their well-deserved WC win.
http://www.oocities.org/ziggyonice/scandal.html

This sounds eerily similar even now in 2014 but of a different couple:laugh:

WOAH!! That is a whopper of an article I never knew about. C/S did well that season including winning bronze at worlds over D/V. Thanks for that link, had no idea how matter-of-fact even the skaters (allegedly) take all the behind-the-scenes politicking.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

I remember the days after the dance event first hearing about the petition signed by all but 2 of the teams of C&S's bronze medal win. The next couple days were even more alarming though, as there were reports of her mobster father (I never knew anything about him before this point) crashing the party and threatening to kill people. People like Alexander Zhulin did a lengthy interview talking about the scene. That is also when stories began circulating many of their questionable scores and placings since 2000 were due to him. Their rankings slid downwards the remainder of their career despite improving a lot. At the 2006 Olympics, in a field iin which every single team was below them back in 2002, they finished 9th.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think I'm singing "Oh, Canada!" for ice dance. I'm a big fan of Weaver and Poje and Gilles and Poirier really grew on me last year with the Hitchcock theme. I still don't quite understand if Pechalat and Bourezat are still in the competitive running. Yes? If so, they obviously have a chance at the podium and maybe the top. But Fabien seems prone to injury and Nathalie's lower lip gorws in to a pout when she doesn't win. They may be past their prime. And I suppose world champs Capellinni and Lanotte are a factor but, again, I think they bed past their apex and should enjoy the benefits of champs and go sell some pasta or skate in shows. The Russians are a mess and complete unkn owns. Such drama! Chock/Bates are good but I'd really like to see the Shibs have a come-back year. Other than the gold medalists, the pairs are another mess. I suppose this "musical chairs" of partners happens after an Olympics but it is discouraging to see good partners split. Samuelson and Bates could have been world champions this year if they had stuck it out.

P/B are retiring from competition so they are out of the running.