Labral tear in hip | Golden Skate

Labral tear in hip

ausal

Rinkside
Hi,
If there are any skaters who have undergone arthroscopic repair of a labral tear, I would love to hear your experience. Please feel free to post or to email me privately!
Thank you!

Skaters_dad

Spectator
A skater my daughter trained with had tears in both hips. She had surgery done in Colorado for the first hip shortly after competing at Challenge as a Junior. She was back training on ice within 3 months. She then had the second hip done. She competed the next 2 seasons making Nationals as a Junior then Skate Canada Challenge as senior before retiring from competitive skating.

hanca

Record Breaker
I had it. Unfortunately it took a year to get diagnosed so by them time they eventually did diagnose it, I also had partially torn gluteus medius and partially torn illiopsoas! The torn bits of the cartilage were also 'floating' within the hip socket and my hip was getting stuck. The surgery went well, but it is a part of the surgery that they have to pull the hip out of hip socket a little bit. The hip never feels the same. (little tiny movement within the hip joint - not all the time, but when you least expect it). It also will be more prone to dislocation. I had to switch to ice dance; it really doesn't feel a good idea to do jumps. (I am an adult skater so I only had singles, but I can't afford to do them now).

Alissa Czisny had this injury. She got back to some competitive level and then her hip got dislocated on her first competition. After that she retired. I don't think her hip could take it any more to skate on that level.

ausal

Rinkside
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear what you have gone through. I'm glad you're back on the ice dancing. I will definitely ask what the rate of dislocation is afterwards.

hanca

Record Breaker
I personally did not have problem with dislocation but then I haven't been doing any jumps. Well, I did about 6 months after the surgery tried getting back my singles, but although it was not my landing leg, it really was not a good idea. When you land a jump, your body absorbs 4 times your body weight and if the landing is a bit rough, it is 6-8 times your body weight. So although I wasn't actually landing on the operated leg, the impact affects the whole body. You usually don't feel in on your whole body if the body is healthy, but if there is a part that is not ok, it hurts badly. So although it was the hip of my free leg, after an hour of doing jumps I nearly couldn't walk. I left it, then tried 3 months later with the same result and then I gave up on jumps. I really don't know how Alissa Czisny could get back her triple jumps! Saying that, I am average weight adult, whereas Alissa is a very slim lady, so four times my body weight will be different than four times her body weight.