Quadruple toe loop | Golden Skate

Quadruple toe loop

HanDomi

Record Breaker
The first person to land a ratified quadruple jump in competition was Kurt Browning at the 1988 World Championships (with three turns on the landing).

Who do you think has the best quad toe?

My vote goes for: Hanyu . His quad toe at the olympics SP was the best I have ever seen. I saw many of them on videos, and for me this is no. 1 Speed, air position, lightness on the landing and speed out of it.
He can jump it without too much speed, and with extreme sequences with 3A's.

Others that I like: Chan (very athletic looking) and Plushenko (very consistent + great combos back in his prime )

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko. Simply because of the consistency. You never fear when Plushenko takes off; 99.9% of the time, he will land it, even with screws in his back, even busted up and broken, he will land it. The others don't hold a candle to him; no-one hits it with the same success rate, and probably no-one ever will.

Alain

Match Penalty
^ Not only consistency. I find Plushenko quad much more powerful and therefore more attractive in Men. Next- Yagudin.

jace93

On the Ice
I would say Hanyu or Chan... there is something that I don't like in Plushenko jumping technique, even though I can't put a finger on it, some sort of stiffness on the landing... yagudin had amazing power, but not much flow...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would say Hanyu or Chan... there is something that I don't like in Plushenko jumping technique, even though I can't put a finger on it, some sort of stiffness on the landing... yagudin had amazing power, but not much flow...

But Plushenko DOES land it, and far more often than Hanyu or Chan, even with his busted up body. Plushenko also has a stunning ability to land it no matter how crooked or tilted in the air, which is a very unique skill - the majority of skaters, once they get off-kilter, that's the end of it.

Lambari

Final Flight
But Plushenko DOES land it, and far more often than Hanyu or Chan, even with his busted up body. Plushenko also has a stunning ability to land it no matter how crooked or tilted in the air, which is a very unique skill - the majority of skaters, once they get off-kilter, that's the end of it.

Well, the question is about 'the best quad toe' not the most consistent one, so I agree with jace93. For more aesthetically pleasant quad toe I would give it to Chan and Hanyu (Machida's quad toe is beautiful too) but for more consistent quad toe I would give to Plushenko :)

jace93

On the Ice
Well, the question is about 'the best quad toe' not the most consistent one, so I agree with jace93. For more aesthetically pleasant quad toe I would give it to Chan and Hanyu (Machida's quad toe is beautiful too) but for more consistent quad toe I would give to Plushenko :)

exhactly :biggrin:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Who has the best 4T? Chan or Hanyu, but I'm leaning towards Hanyu. His 4T's are "smooth like butter", great flow coming out in addition to really tight and good air position. Also, due to his body type his jumps when done to the standard he is capable of, looks absolutely beautiful.

Its not the question of who has the most consistent 4T, but if it were, who else would it be besides Plushenko? lol

Meoima

Match Penalty
You misunderstood the question, it seems so. :think: Plushy has the most consistent 4T, no one denies that fact. But it's not always the most beautiful. It's the same as saying Caro has the best jumping technique, but she doesn't always land it.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I'm going to let Chan edge out Hanyu because he's landed it both alone and in combination but both are as good as it gets, I like Plushenko and Yagudin's too during their peak, now Plushenko's looks more laboured to me but his consistency is amazeballs

Lambari

Final Flight
I'm going to let Chan edge out Hanyu because he's landed it both alone and in combination but both are as good as it gets, I like Plushenko and Yagudin's too during their peak, now Plushenko's looks more laboured to me but his consistency is amazeballs

But both Chan and Hanyu have landed it in combination, only if you're talking about landing it in competitions, if so then I agree, Chan landed 4T-3T quite consistently. In 2011 Hanyu had 4T-3T in his SP but never managed to land at competitions even if he landed it all the time at shows and now he does 4T-3A or 4T-3A-3A all the time at shows too. I think he just doesn't put the 4T-3T at his layout because he wants to land that 4S no matter what. I would prefer the 4T-3T because it would be light years more consistent that the 4S but well, what can we do.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Plushenko in his prime. Incredible height, speed of in-air rotation, and flow on the landings--which is what enabled him to do all those crazy combos. Even in his old age, he still lands some beautiful ones (Vancouver SP, Sheffield LP). They're just not as "consistently" beautiful as they used to be. Thankfully, they're still consistently landed. :)

For the current generation, Hanyu for his second-to-none lightness on the landings, though I give Chan credit for his beautiful 4-3 combo.

The "staying on your feet no matter the problems in the air" doesn't seem to be a Plushenko skill vs. a Chan lack. It's a 6.0 skill vs. a COP lack. Landing a jump cleanly, on one foot, was so important under 6.0 that you see skaters (Yagudin, Joubert, who tended to run into problems in the air more than Plushenko did) fighting to stay on their feet no matter how wonky the landing. That art is a bit lost in COP since you can get -GOE just for wonky landings and falls aren't too much worse.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
But both Chan and Hanyu have landed it in combination, only if you're talking about landing it in competitions, if so then I agree, Chan landed 4T-3T quite consistently. In 2011 Hanyu had 4T-3T in his SP but never managed to land at competitions even if he landed it all the time at shows and now he does 4T-3A or 4T-3A-3A all the time at shows too. I think he just doesn't put the 4T-3T at his layout because he wants to land that 4S no matter what. I would prefer the 4T-3T because it would be light years more consistent that the 4S but well, what can we do.

Yepp, I'm only talking about competition, I know that it's possible for him to put it in competition but he hasn't done it (yet). I know of his sequences in ice shows and his 3A is unrivaled for me at this point. I would rather see 4T3T from him than the 4S he kept messing up on but since it's consistent in practice I guess he was determined to keep it in his program, oh well.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would put Sandhu in the running, even though he rarely landed his. His long lines and straight-as-an-arrow air position made for a spectacular jump. Even when he fell, he looked beautiful in the air.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
You misunderstood the question, it seems so. :think: Plushy has the most consistent 4T, no one denies that fact. But it's not always the most beautiful. It's the same as saying Caro has the best jumping technique, but she doesn't always land it.

and Chan and Hanyu have always the most beautiful 4T ?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushenko in his prime. Incredible height, speed of in-air rotation, and flow on the landings--which is what enabled him to do all those crazy combos. Even in his old age, he still lands some beautiful ones (Vancouver SP, Sheffield LP). They're just not as "consistently" beautiful as they used to be. Thankfully, they're still consistently landed. :)

For the current generation, Hanyu for his second-to-none lightness on the landings, though I give Chan credit for his beautiful 4-3 combo.

The "staying on your feet no matter the problems in the air" doesn't seem to be a Plushenko skill vs. a Chan lack. It's a 6.0 skill vs. a COP lack. Landing a jump cleanly, on one foot, was so important under 6.0 that you see skaters (Yagudin, Joubert, who tended to run into problems in the air more than Plushenko did) fighting to stay on their feet no matter how wonky the landing. That art is a bit lost in COP since you can get -GOE just for wonky landings and falls aren't too much worse.

:thumbsup:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I would put Sandhu in the running, even though he rarely landed his. His long lines and straight-as-an-arrow air position made for a spectacular jump. Even when he fell, he looked beautiful in the air.
:scratch: Sandhu? The only halfway clean performance I remember from him was 03-04 GPF, and even there he got absolutely no flow out of nearly every jump. Could you link me to a beautiful 4T he's done? I, er, don't quite get the concept of a beautiful fallen 4T... in fact, that infuriates me more because I don't understand why they'd fall on something that looked perfectly fine in the air...

No. But overall I would say Timothy Goebel. Lol
Goebel had the most effortless quads, but I wouldn't say they were the most beautiful. Maybe it's just that his overall skating was so slow, but his quads aren't... I dunno, exciting? I would say he has the best quad salchow though, but imo there are better picks for the toe (I would say he's in the Top 5, for sure. Just not my #1).