No more “cute factor” for Canada’s Nam Nguyen | Golden Skate

No more “cute factor” for Canada’s Nam Nguyen

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada’s Nam Nguyen will be kicking off his season at Thornhill Summer Skate in order to get the momentum going. More...

Meoima

Match Penalty
I still see him as a cute boy, though. Cause he looks like my co-worker's son, who has also turned 16 this year. :laugh: Anyways, I will root for him no matter what. Between him and Pitkeev, I will choose Nam. I see him as a better performer. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still see him as a cute boy, though. Cause he looks like my co-worker's son, who has also turned 16 this year. :laugh: Anyways, I will root for him no matter what. Between him and Pitkeev, I will choose Nam. I see him as a better performer. :)
I see Nathan Chen passing them both up soon.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Nathan is still 1m50. He needs a lot of growing for the next 2 years. For now I see the rivalry between Nam and Pitkeev.
As for Nathan, if we are talking about a more engaging performer, Shoma Uno of Japan is the match for him.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
While it's good to hear from Orser that Nam isn't a cute boy anymore, what I hope for most is programs he can actually interpret well. Whether he skates something young or adult. Jeff Buttle choreography sounds promising. Interesting he's doing the quad salchow. Is the salchow more comfortable than the toe for him?

So... I guess I have no choice but to back Pitkeev next season, so that we can have a mini just-out-of-juniors war. :biggrin: The battle lines are drawn...

Meoima

Match Penalty
So... I guess I have no choice but to back Pitkeev next season, so that we can have a mini just-out-of-juniors war. :biggrin: The battle lines are drawn...
Frankly In my vision I see that Nam will get better PCS while Pitkeev will get better TES. It's easy to guess, though.
I think Nam has better spins, while Pitkeev has better jumps. :) I root for Nam cause he really looks like the child that I meet almost every week! :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Better situation for Nam then. PCS is constant (even with mistakes, at a certain point). TES still requires you to land the jumps. But I'll be pulling for Pitkeev anyway, just to wage new-seniors-war er, I mean, since I think he can perform well with the right program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Speaking of Nathan, he's staying junior one more year? He's old enough to move up...guess he wants all the titles. Still he's young enough. He's a year younger than Nam.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Speaking of Nathan, he's staying junior one more year? He's old enough to move up...guess he wants all the titles. Still he's young enough. He's a year younger than Nam.
I think it's better for him to stay junior for 2 more years. I hope he will grow more 10 cm, though. 1m50 is still too short for a senior men, in my humble opinion.

jimeonji

Final Flight

His 3A is still inconsistent, and it would be hard for him to make a dent in the US men's field with Max, Jason, Josh, Adam, etc. It would be good for him to stay in juniors at least one more year and grow a bit and get his axel consistent again before moving up.

jimeonji

Final Flight
His short music is quite interesting, a song with vocals. His long, La Strada, I'm a bit apprehensive about - it will be difficult to get Takahashi's long from 2009-2010 out of my mind.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nam Nguyen: "I have an equal chance to win" Nationals

Patrick Chan’s absence opens door for Nam Nguyen at figure skating nationals
The Canadian Press
Published: October 16, 2014, 1:53 pm

.... “I want to win nationals this year,” Nguyen said. “Patrick’s not here (Chan is taking the season off) and it’s an open target for everybody, I have an equal chance to win. . . I’m going to work really hard and I feel if I work hard enough the rest of the season leading up to nationals, I will have a solid chance at winning.” .....

He also mastered a quadruple jump over the summer.

“I’ve got it now, yes,” he said. “It was hard with my (triple) Axels, took two years, I was growing. Now with my quad it took me one summer, one summer and I have it now. It’s exciting to have it.” ....

http://o.canada.com/sports/patrick-...or-for-nam-nguyen-at-figure-skating-nationals

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
One hopes that Reynolds will rebound from boot problems though. I think heneeds a good stylisht and choreography (oh no does he have the infamous Joanne McLeod - I am not sure what is the problem but her skaters always seem to fall short) Nam does seem to have the package but I am not sure he has the physical strength to really do the triple axel and quad toe. Still he has some good basics ; he too at times looks coltish (kind of awkward and spindly.

unico

Final Flight
Orser's quad squad is mutually beneficial for everyone, but I think especially for Nguyen. He's really developing consistency and confidence (but not over-confidence), which will help him get past a lot of the men in the current field. And with Reynolds unfortunately bogged down by his boot problems which have been going on since last season, I think Nguyen has a really good chance to go for that title.

I hope he continues trending upwards this season!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Don't get me wrong ... I have no problem with anything Nguyen said.

I thought the article was noteworthy as perhaps the first time that he has come right out and said that he feels he will have a solid chance of winning Nats?? If I am mistaken, my apologies.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan’s absence opens door for Nam Nguyen at figure skating nationals
The Canadian Press
Published: October 16, 2014, 1:53 pm

.... “I want to win nationals this year,” Nguyen said. “Patrick’s not here (Chan is taking the season off) and it’s an open target for everybody, I have an equal chance to win. . . I’m going to work really hard and I feel if I work hard enough the rest of the season leading up to nationals, I will have a solid chance at winning.” .....

He also mastered a quadruple jump over the summer.

“I’ve got it now, yes,” he said. “It was hard with my (triple) Axels, took two years, I was growing. Now with my quad it took me one summer, one summer and I have it now. It’s exciting to have it.” ....

http://o.canada.com/sports/patrick-...or-for-nam-nguyen-at-figure-skating-nationals

Thanks for the link golden411! Wonderful article, as we catch glimpses of Nam's personality. I like reading that he enjoys, rather than being fazed, by the media attention and skating before big audiences. He also has the confidence to put out there his goal to win the coming Canadian nationals. (Earlier, Nam had also stated he wants to win gold at Pyeongchang.) As Kurt Browning once said (I'm paraphrasing and not using his exact words), you can't become World and Olympic champion unless you believe you can.

kresslia

Medalist
I think he will win Nationals. He's got a fire in him. Seems like he's being positioned by the media as Canada's next big thing in terms of figure skating.