Brian Joubert to compete in Pairs with Katrina Gerboldt for Russia | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert to compete in Pairs with Katrina Gerboldt for Russia

Meoima

Match Penalty
I have to agree that this post season has been VERY weird....as well as entertaining.
I know this is a sport but this off season has been like a really whacky reality tv show....very entertaining....now i need that
Popcorn eating smiley :biggrin:
:popcorn:
There we go.
We have all the splits and drama in ice dancing and pairs. Then we have all the veterans who can't stop competing because they simply love competition. They can make a team for the next olympic. :laugh:

noskates

Record Breaker
Meoima really summed it up!!! For example, I think Jeremy Abbott would be history had he not had that great long program skate at the Olympics. It's like a reminder that he CAN do it ....he forgets that he rarely DOES it.

Somehow I don't see Brian Joubert giving up his French citizenship and becoming Russian in order to skate pairs in a country that is overloaded with GREAT pairs that have been together for awhile and are re-emerging with their dominance. Sure he can't even imagine medaling at their Nationals!!!!! If he was going to skate shows, etc, then I could understand that - maybe! There really aren't many male figure skaters that I could see transitioning to pairs from singles but Brian has always appeared to be strong and is built somewhat like a pairs skater. If nothing else it would be interesting to see him skate pairs. I just don't see it being for Russia.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Next Olympics line-up for the team competition, team "We can't stop competing"
- Men SP: Jeremy Abbott
- Lady SP: Carolina
- Pair SP: Jourbert and his new partner
- Ice dancing SD: Daisuke and...whoever you guys can think of, I don't follow ice dancing that much
- Men LP: Plushy (in case you guys haven't known yet, he intends to go for the 5th Olympics)
- Lady LP: Mao (in case she wants to continue)
- Pair Lp: Aliona and her new partner
- Ice dancing FD: Daisuke and his new partner.

Any different ideas?

anyanka

Record Breaker
- Ice dancing SD: Daisuke and...whoever you guys can think of, I don't follow ice dancing that much
- Men LP: Plushy (in case you guys haven't known yet, he intends to go for the 5th Olympics)

Any different ideas?

We need to make this happen. They'll compete as ... the Unified Team, under the Olympic flag. Is it 1992 again?

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I'm glad Brian's going to continue, but choosing Russia over France is so odd. More red tape and more competition. But anyhow, best wishes to him. Lol, "All my friends say I'm crazy." (Anyone interested in seeing the whole article translated, or has Google been sufficient?)

Any different ideas?
Agree with all of this, but: Ice Dancing SD should be Johnny Weir + Evan Lysacek (Johnny recently tweeted that he tried a quad for the first time in a long time...). No quads in ice dance, so these two will be perfect (and Plushy will be very, very amused). :biggrin:

@Anyanka
Why not? Maybe Viktor Petrenko can coach them. :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Agree with all of this, but: Ice Dancing SD should be Johnny Weir + Evan Lysacek (Johnny recently tweeted that he tried a quad for the first time in a long time...). No quads in ice dance, so these two will be perfect (and Plushy will be very, very amused). :biggrin:
Totally agree! Or Johnny Weir and Lysack can do the FD since we haven't found the partner for Daisuke. :laugh: any idea for Dai's partner?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Totally agree! Or Johnny Weir and Lysack can do the FD since we haven't found the partner for Daisuke. :laugh: any idea for Dai's partner?

Dai and Akiko Suzuki were actually talking (jokingly, I assume, but who knows) about forming an ice dance team recently.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Dai and Akiko Suzuki were actually talking (jokingly, I assume, but who knows) about forming an ice dance team recently.
You killed me! :love: they could be the perfect ice dancing pair! Oh so our dream of "We can't stop competing" team is not that unrealistic at all!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am worried that people don't understand the difference between facts and opinions. What you wrote are opinions, not facts.

You're right. I should clarify what I meant. The skill set needed to be a great singles skater, which is very good skating skills and strong jumps, are quite different from the skill set needed to be a great pairs skater. Whereas in singles he has 3 or 7 jumping passes to accrue points, he has far fewer opportunity to get points from jumps in pairs, so everything else has to be strong. That is a fact. My view on his overall skating and musicality is, of course, my opinion.

Wouldn't that be stupendous?

I doubt these days, with the new lifts, that two skaters so similar in height could flourish even in ice dance, but on Planet Olympia that wouldn't be an issue. Start gathering the music!

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm glad Brian's going to continue, but choosing Russia over France is so odd. More red tape and more competition. But anyhow, best wishes to him. Lol, "All my friends say I'm crazy." (Anyone interested in seeing the whole article translated, or has Google been sufficient?)

@Anyanka
Why not? Maybe Viktor Petrenko can coach them. :laugh:

:agree:

Icey

Record Breaker
The expiration date for this is just around the corner imo. Nice fantasy.

alebi

Medalist
I don't understand why skating for Russia. France has only J/C right now, who are already good, and with S/M in the future they can gain 3 spots at least in European Champs. They could have an open door if they're ACTUALLY planning to have an international career.

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't understand why skating for Russia. France has only J/C right now, who are already good, and with S/M in the future they can gain 3 spots at least in European Champs. They could have an open door if they're ACTUALLY planning to have an international career.

Maybe because Joubert does not really intend to be seen in public doing pairs? :p

hanca

Record Breaker
We live in the internet Era, I doubt he can escape the big YT eye :laugh:

What I meant was that maybe he does not wish to compete in an international competition. All he needs is to learn the pairs skills, but why spoiling his reputation? Competing for Russia actually helps - they perhaps place at the nationals somewhere around 7-10th place, they won't be sent out of Russia to compete, so all his competitions will be internally (if it gets to competition stage at all) and his reputation will be intact. :agree: whereas if he wanted to compete for France, they could actually want to send him to Europeans/Worlds! :eek:

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
Maybe he just wants to avoid dealing with the French federation? I can understand if that's the case, it's a bunch of nutcases running that show.

alebi

Medalist
What I meant was that maybe he does not wish to compete in an international competition. All he needs is to learn the pairs skills, but why spoiling his reputation? Competing for Russia actually helps - they perhaps place at the nationals somewhere around 7-10th place, they won't be sent out of Russia to compete, so all his competitions will be internally (if it gets to competition stage at all) and his reputation will be intact. :agree: whereas if he wanted to compete for France, they could actually want to send him to Europeans/Worlds! :eek:

This can be true. I remember Joubert said in an interview he wanted to coach after retirement. If he want to learn more then Russia is the right place. He can also join a training group, go on doing shows... he has plenty of opportunities there.

I also support the idea that he doesn't want to deal with the French fed anymore, looking at how many difficulties he had last years.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Is it some kind of joke? I don't get it.. or is it real news? :disapp:

Joubabe

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Alebi, I believe Brian said that Katrina wouldn't be able to get French citizenship in time for the next Olympics. I guess it would be easier for him to get Russian citizenship. I'd rather see them skate for France, but am ecstatic that we may be able to watch Brian compete for 4 more years!