Brian Joubert to compete in Pairs with Katrina Gerboldt for Russia | Golden Skate

Brian Joubert to compete in Pairs with Katrina Gerboldt for Russia

anyanka

Record Breaker
I wonder if this has any effect at all on the Savchenko/Massot partnership. If the French want a champion pair, they have Brian but perhaps the Russians would release Katya? It's going to be a very difficult field in Russia to break through to the top. Unless of course it Brian will have no problems getting citizenship (if they want to go for 2018) and the funding is not an issue (since Brian is a marquee name in skating). Unless of course the French decided they will back up Aljona & Bruno (instead of or in addition to Germany) and sponsorship is an issue ...

Thanks for posting!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just don't get these skaters who are past their prime now like Brian and Valentina deciding to try another discipline that takes pairs skaters years to master.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I love Gerard Depardieu actually got involved on this. It's the part that I couldn't have scripted.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I don't think they can accomplish too much together since both of them are a little advanced in age in the world of figure skating, maybe he wants to try pairs so he can teach it or something. I looked at their heights, 178cm vs 163cm seems a little insuffcient to me. I hope whatever they do they remain injury free.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Yes, the height difference is not enough, and to choose to compete for Russia in Pairs doesn't strike me as common sense: do they hope to become good enough for Russia's standard in Pairs? It all makes sense when you read that Joubert is following Depardieu's advice, for the guy hasn't been sober for decades.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I hope she's a fan of the The Matrix :rofl:

Funny enough, I heard that music this morning on something I was watching, and all I could think of was Brian! :laugh:

You know, when a brand new member posted this photo in the Vale/Ondrej thread as their first post, I thought it was a wind up. I was about to reply with something along the lines of:

"For goodness sake, this is getting ridiculous! Can 2 people not mess about while they are on the ice any more without somebody turning it into a story?!"

So when I saw this thread, I was ready to explode. But then I read the post, and realised there might be something in it, I was shocked.

I have always been a massive Brian fan. I like Katarina too. But, I just do not understand the motivation behind this development.

Although there has been chopping and changing in the Pairs fields in both France and Russia, it will take time for Brian to learn the ropes in Pairs skating. By which stage, all the experienced Pairs skaters will have got used to their new partners, and will beat Joubert/Gerboldt in Nationals.

Admittedly, France might have been an easier option for them than Russia, but it would still be very difficult to get selected no matter which country they opted for.

Yes, we (might) have a similar situation in Italy with Marchei and Hotarek. BUT, there is not the same depth of field in Italy. So, Marchei/Hotarek have a good chance of getting selected. Plus, they do not have to go through all the bureaucracy, as Ondrej got Italian citizenship a long time ago. So they can hit the ground running (or should that be "hit the ice skating"...?)

For me, Brian would have been better pairing up with Daria Popova, competing for France. That way, they could have got straight to business without having to worry about all the red tape.

And as for Katarina, well there was no shortage of good male Russian Pairs skaters that were left without partners with all the chopping and changing that has been going on...!

So, whilst I should be pleased that they are both continuing, I am not sure about this at all.

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I just don't get these skaters who are past their prime now like Brian and Valentina deciding to try another discipline that takes pairs skaters years to master.

Why not, if one have the love for skating/competing/trying something new + motivation and money :yay: And mocking his friends calling him crazy :thumbsup:

I hope she's a fan of the The Matrix :rofl:

Mercy me, this is the weirdest post-Olympic season I can recall.

:laugh:

Depardieu though :confused:

Lota

Record Breaker
Well this is certainly an interesting development :popcorn: But, like Katarina commented on her Instagram photo, a talented man is talented in everything, so hopefully he pulls through. Actually, I think he'd work great in pairs.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I have no problem with him in pairs. In fact, I thought he'd be quite good at pairs.
But Russia? Really? Any other country would be an easier field to be in for pairs than Russia!