Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Brian Joubert to compete in Pairs with Katrina Gerboldt for Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Agree with all of this, but: Ice Dancing SD should be Johnny Weir + Evan Lysacek (Johnny recently tweeted that he tried a quad for the first time in a long time...). No quads in ice dance, so these two will be perfect (and Plushy will be very, very amused).
    Totally agree! Or Johnny Weir and Lysack can do the FD since we haven't found the partner for Daisuke. any idea for Dai's partner?

Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Totally agree! Or Johnny Weir and Lysack can do the FD since we haven't found the partner for Daisuke. any idea for Dai's partner?
    Dai and Akiko Suzuki were actually talking (jokingly, I assume, but who knows) about forming an ice dance team recently.

Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    Dai and Akiko Suzuki were actually talking (jokingly, I assume, but who knows) about forming an ice dance team recently.
    You killed me! they could be the perfect ice dancing pair! Oh so our dream of "We can't stop competing" team is not that unrealistic at all!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I am worried that people don't understand the difference between facts and opinions. What you wrote are opinions, not facts.
    You're right. I should clarify what I meant. The skill set needed to be a great singles skater, which is very good skating skills and strong jumps, are quite different from the skill set needed to be a great pairs skater. Whereas in singles he has 3 or 7 jumping passes to accrue points, he has far fewer opportunity to get points from jumps in pairs, so everything else has to be strong. That is a fact. My view on his overall skating and musicality is, of course, my opinion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gallavich View Post
    Wouldn't that be stupendous?

I doubt these days, with the new lifts, that two skaters so similar in height could flourish even in ice dance, but on Planet Olympia that wouldn't be an issue. Start gathering the music!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I'm glad Brian's going to continue, but choosing Russia over France is so odd. More red tape and more competition. But anyhow, best wishes to him. Lol, "All my friends say I'm crazy." (Anyone interested in seeing the whole article translated, or has Google been sufficient?)

Agree with all of this, but: Ice Dancing SD should be Johnny Weir + Evan Lysacek (Johnny recently tweeted that he tried a quad for the first time in a long time...). No quads in ice dance, so these two will be perfect (and Plushy will be very, very amused).

@Anyanka
    Why not? Maybe Viktor Petrenko can coach them.

Custom Title
    The expiration date for this is just around the corner imo. Nice fantasy.

a cat watching figure skating alebi's Avatar
    I don't understand why skating for Russia. France has only J/C right now, who are already good, and with S/M in the future they can gain 3 spots at least in European Champs. They could have an open door if they're ACTUALLY planning to have an international career.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by alebi View Post
    I don't understand why skating for Russia. France has only J/C right now, who are already good, and with S/M in the future they can gain 3 spots at least in European Champs. They could have an open door if they're ACTUALLY planning to have an international career.
    Maybe because Joubert does not really intend to be seen in public doing pairs?

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Maybe because Joubert does not really intend to be seen in public doing pairs?
    We live in the internet Era, I doubt he can escape the big YT eye

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by alebi View Post
    We live in the internet Era, I doubt he can escape the big YT eye
    What I meant was that maybe he does not wish to compete in an international competition. All he needs is to learn the pairs skills, but why spoiling his reputation? Competing for Russia actually helps - they perhaps place at the nationals somewhere around 7-10th place, they won't be sent out of Russia to compete, so all his competitions will be internally (if it gets to competition stage at all) and his reputation will be intact. whereas if he wanted to compete for France, they could actually want to send him to Europeans/Worlds!

P/B Appreciation Squad fleeting's Avatar
    Maybe he just wants to avoid dealing with the French federation? I can understand if that's the case, it's a bunch of nutcases running that show.

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    What I meant was that maybe he does not wish to compete in an international competition. All he needs is to learn the pairs skills, but why spoiling his reputation? Competing for Russia actually helps - they perhaps place at the nationals somewhere around 7-10th place, they won't be sent out of Russia to compete, so all his competitions will be internally (if it gets to competition stage at all) and his reputation will be intact. whereas if he wanted to compete for France, they could actually want to send him to Europeans/Worlds!
    This can be true. I remember Joubert said in an interview he wanted to coach after retirement. If he want to learn more then Russia is the right place. He can also join a training group, go on doing shows... he has plenty of opportunities there.

I also support the idea that he doesn't want to deal with the French fed anymore, looking at how many difficulties he had last years.

umm...
    Is it some kind of joke? I don't get it.. or is it real news?

Rinkside
    Alebi, I believe Brian said that Katrina wouldn't be able to get French citizenship in time for the next Olympics. I guess it would be easier for him to get Russian citizenship. I'd rather see them skate for France, but am ecstatic that we may be able to watch Brian compete for 4 more years!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast