Can skaters use music like hip-hop? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can skaters use music like hip-hop?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
More generational issues; I always thought of "Rappers Delight", as, well, rap. :laugh: *Everyone* knew Rappers Delight when I was in college. Like (and completely completely OT) Mayor Michael Nutter of Philadelphia, who went to the college I did at the same time I did. A completely straitlaced guy, performing Rappers Delight with Philadelphia's own the Roots at his inauguration. He didn't just learn this, or these moves, for the inauguration, he was doing it back in the day.
http://vimeo.com/35208737

Back on topic, like the Parsons' siblings attempt. I think the ShibSibs would do great with something a little more edgy than MJ...

YMMV, I suppose, but rap and hip-hop are closely related, I would argue. :)

The Roots are definitely Hip-Hop....so....he did have that going from him.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I love Daisuke's Swan Lake -- but I always thought it was more electronic than hip-hop. That's why some called it his CyberSwan. Can anyone explain why you think it's considered hip-hop?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
YMMV, I suppose, but rap and hip-hop are closely related, I would argue. :)

The Roots are definitely Hip-Hop....so....he did have that going from him.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear ... I agree with you that it is hip hop I didn't know that. :p Then again, if it's after the early 80s, my knowledge is intermittent, and then after early 90's, non-existent!

I agree with you about CyberSwan. How is this anything but Swan Lake set to an electronic drumbeat? Nobody back in my day would have called "A Fifth of Beethoven" Rock n roll. Looove the performance, however, and the Johnny Weir-esq costume. Did Johnny design it?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Hip-hop is a dance style as well as a music style. They tend to overlap for obvious reasons, but one could theoretically skate around to hip-hop music without doing any hip-hop choreo, per se. I would consider the Swan Lake music hip-hop because of the percussive sampled beats, but Dai also does some hip-hop choreo.

I'm grossly oversimplifying here, but hip-hop music can be electronic (either sample-based or with music created by synthesizers or whatever apps/programs the kids have these days), or (rarely) created by live instruments, as is the case with The Roots.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Back to the topic: There are certain hip-hop songs that could work competitively because they sample sounds that would work in a skating program. Like for example Lupe Fiasco's "I Gotcha" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64EwEc96Y24) There's a clear rhythm with the piano melody line and a strong drum beat. And the song is about a man's confidence and swagger. I think someone could pull it off.

Also, there's hip-hop that's more lyrical and slow that could work. This is a song from a Korean hip-hop group called Epik High called "Fool:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh73MDoUfYw

Mrs. P, how do you know Epik High?! I'm a big fan of theirs, after spending a year living in Korea. They're a great example of a group that integrates other styles into their music.

I also think their song "One" would work well for a program, especially for a pairs or ice dance couple who want something high energy but with lyrical qualities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeSWfTD0l9o

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hip-hop is a dance style as well as a music style. They tend to overlap for obvious reasons, but one could theoretically skate around to hip-hop music without doing any hip-hop choreo, per se. I would consider the Swan Lake music hip-hop because of the percussive sampled beats, but Dai also does some hip-hop choreo.

I'm grossly oversimplifying here, but hip-hop music can be electronic (either sample-based or with music created by synthesizers or whatever apps/programs the kids have these days), or (rarely) created by live instruments, as is the case with The Roots.

I guess I took the question as whether if you could skate to hip-hop as the music style. I agree there's quite a diversity in hip-hop music. And I do think there's still more of a blur between electronic (house/trance) and hip-hop.

Mrs. P, how do you know Epik High?! I'm a big fan of theirs, after spending a year living in Korea. They're a great example of a group that integrates other styles into their music.

I also think their song "One" would work well for a program, especially for a pairs or ice dance couple who want something high energy but with lyrical qualities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeSWfTD0l9o

Hello! I started listening to K-Pop a few years ago (actually I stumbled upon a Wonder Girls video while looking for a Yuna Kim video, LOL) and then just got exposed more to other types of music in Korea including hip-hop and indie. :) Love Epik High, Supreme Team, Dynamic Duo, etc.

One would be a good song for a competitive program.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I'm not a fan of hip-hop. I don't ever want to see another program to "Sexyback" (3 of them in exhibition @ 2007 Skate America, even though I heart Tanith & Ben to pieces)!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nobody back in my day would have called "A Fifth of Beethoven" Rock n roll. Looove the performance, however, and the Johnny Weir-esq costume. Did Johnny design it?

Aaagh! I don't know from hip-hop and remember "A Fifth of Beethoven" all too well. (Shakes rapidly-graying head... :slink:) Thanks for the links, Mrs. P & everyone; will try to educate myself. :biggrin:

Scovies

Final Flight
My first thought was Daisuke, but does anyone remember this gem of a program from the 2006 U.S. nationals? Stephanie Rosenthal wasn't a great jumper, but she sure could dance. Her long program was really interesting, too. Love that footwork sequence.

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't know if I consider Cyber Swan to be hip hop. You can clearly hear Swan Lake and effects were essentially added. I don't think it's pure hip hop.

I'd also consider Rock-It more Techno than hip hop. and it is one of my favorite Ilia programs.

Virtue and Moir did try a hip hop routine one year - can't recall the music.

I agree that hip hop works better for exhibitions because the movements aren't as gliding as other types of music.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't know if I consider Cyber Swan to be hip hop. You can clearly hear Swan Lake and effects were essentially added. I don't think it's pure hip hop.

I'd also consider Rock-It more Techno than hip hop. and it is one of my favorite Ilia programs.

Virtue and Moir did try a hip hop routine one year - can't recall the music.

I agree that hip hop works better for exhibitions because the movements aren't as gliding as other types of music.

Sorry, I can be convinced on the others, but not on Herbie Hancock. Rockit may use scratching, but Rockit is not hip hop.

And, despite how good the routine is, what is that God awful version of the music that Ilia used, 'cause it ain't Herbie. OT, but does it cost that much to use the original?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's not hip hop either but for some reason I was reminded immediately of Sandhu's EX to Justin Timberlake.

If D/S can skate to Aboriginal dance... anything is possible. :laugh: