Carolina Kostner: "I had to go back to my roots to find peace in my skating" | Golden Skate

Carolina Kostner: "I had to go back to my roots to find peace in my skating"

Alba

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner: "I had to go back to my roots to find peace in my skating"

Carolina, this was definitely a dream season for you: a sensational short program, probably your best ever when it comes to conveying your emotions to the audience, that gorgeous Bolero and an Olympic bronze medal atop of that (and I’m not mentioning the European and World medals, you already have many of those…). Could you lead me please into the greatest moments of the 2013-2014 season?

Carolina Kostner: It’s so hard to say which were the best moments of this season. I had a very rough start: physical problems and feeling pressure from all sides. I felt like I would never be and do enough to be worth an Olympic medal. Thanks to my staff, my family and friends I improved my health condition step by step and began to work on believing in my dreams more and more. My primary goal was not to win, but to be happy. I love skating and the results should not be the reason for happiness or not.

The rest of the interview here: http://www.insideskating.net/2014/0...-back-to-my-roots-to-find-peace-in-my-skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's pretty incredible to think someone like her, who almost never was able to put two solid programs together in a competition, was able to find her peak form in many big events over the last 3 seasons. I was particularly impressed that after not being able to do a lutz jumps for a few years, it became one of her most consistent jumps.

alebi

Medalist
A touching interview. She had to hear so many bulls*** during her career and never said a word in revenge because she has so clear now that everything depends only on you and people can say what they want but at the end you are the one who wins or loses. Her sensitivity has always been her best characteristic but also her worst enemy and she needed time to control it. Thanks God Sochi was the perfect moment!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Carolina for all she's achieved. :clap: Her accomplishments are so much greater because she took so many years to reach them. It takes talent and focus to come in for a few years, win everything, and disappear, but it takes dedication, courage, and fortitude to stay in for so long and finally have your dream skates on the biggest stage.

Nice to see her pay tribute to Michelle, even though 2005 Worlds was a major ouch moment for me.

I would love to help promoting figure skating in Italy. I have enjoyed seeing the Italian skating community expand and seeing our small but charming and strong national team grow year by year. I’d love to see more ice rinks in the future. I’d like to share my experience with young skaters and support them to follow their dreams. I guess figure skating won’t get rid of me that soon!
Best of luck to her, and I hope she's able to help skating in Italy. It's interesting that they actually beat Japan in the Team Event, due to having more consistency across disciplines.

BusyMom

Medalist
My primary goal was not to win, but to be happy. I love skating and the results should not be the reason for happiness or not.
That's the reason why she is one of the best, not to mention her skills. I love her Opera on Ice. Can't wait for this year events.

She's beautiful inside and out. It shines through. What a class act.
:agree::clap:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Out of all the top ladies in the last quad, Caro is the only one I can say I truly admire (sory Yuna and Mao). I hope all the best for her.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I confess that I wasn’t particularly crazy about Caro’s skating not till I was watching Sochi’s team event and saw that look she gave to the Heaven above when she hit a final pose in sp, I just could not help but cry and be converted! Yes, it was part of choreography but also so personal, sincere & moving, you could see that after all her Olympic struggles she was so grateful to be able to do a clean program. Another favourite moment of Sochi is when she finished her LP and Lori cried to her: NOW you BELIEVE in yourself! Such a shame she didn’t take silver or gold after putting together back to back 3 clean beautiful skates. And most of all she is such amazing person, a real aristocrat in figure skating!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I agree with all of the lovely posts about Caro, she is Special. Great interview from the "Godess on Ice".
Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Great interview from Carolina. Have to admit that it took some time for me to come around and appreciate her skating, but really have enjoyed seeing her come into her own the last few years. :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
a real aristocrat in figure skating!

Well said! What a lovely interview with a lovely person -- she's a class act through and through. Wonderful role model for younger skaters because she's exceptionally mature and well-grounded. For that matter, a role model for people of any age. Not just skaters, either! ;)

Although I've admired many aspects of her skating over the years, I had more or less given up on Caro b/c she so often seemed to choke when it counted. Watching "Ave Maria" @ Europeans, though, I felt as if a whole new person was on the ice. :love: The program gave me chills, and I've never even liked that music! So happy for her that she was able to deliver those beautiful performances in Sochi after her earlier disappointments @ the Olympics, and so happy for all of us that we got to see them.

Wishing her well in her future endeavors!

nguyenghita

On the Ice
It takes talent and focus to come in for a few years, win everything, and disappear, but it takes dedication, courage, and fortitude to stay in for so long and finally have your dream skates on the biggest stage.
Hm, it will be much better if you didn't include the first part which is obviously not a praise for the only woman "who won everything in a few year then disappear" out there :unsure:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Hm, it will be much better if you didn't include the first part which is obviously not a praise for the only woman "who won everything in a few year then disappear" out there :unsure:
Tara Lipninski, does that ring any bell? Don't be oversensitive. ;)

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
What a wonderful article. Carolina is such a classy lady. I really loved Ave Maria, one of her best short programs. I found Bolero to be such a delight this year and was so glad she was on the podium in Sochi!

daphna

On the Ice
Carolina is the finest class act of her era. No one has accepted the highs and lows more gracioucly. She has matured beautifully, inside and out throughout the years, and her olympic medal winning skates were the calmination. There will never be another Carolina, IMO.

I didn't know she won EVERYTHING :laugh:

National championship, Grand Prix championship, World championship, Olympic championship.

Anyway, Sandpiper was not referring to any particular skater. Almost all great champions zoomed to the top, won a bunch of titles in a few years, then retired from competition. Sandpiper was praising Carolina for persevering through thick and thin, overcoming setbacks, and handling adversity with grace and aplomb throughout a long and ultimately successful career.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
National championship, Grand Prix championship, World championship, Olympic championship.

Anyway, Sandpiper was not referring to any particular skater. Almost all great champions zoomed to the top, won a bunch of titles in a few years, then retired from competition. Sandpiper was praising Carolina for persevering through thick and thin, overcoming setbacks, and handling adversity with grace and aplomb throughout a long and ultimately successful career.
I don't have any problem with his/her praising, I just feel a little "huh?" with the comparison, well, maybe I am oversensitive :p