Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Baiul loses lawsuit against NBC

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This is disheartening to read. This woman seems not to be able to gain a steady footing in life. Clearly for her it's not just the ice that's slippery.
    It's stories like her's that makes me wish all these skaters who struggle for years explore life outside of skating, like going to college to build the skill set needed for a career. Oksana won all the big prizes but has nothing to fall back on. Medalists like Tim Goebel and Sarah Hughes went to school and are now thriving in careers outside the sport.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panpie View Post
    I haven't read about Oksana's lawsuit yet, but frivolous suits are brought quite a bit, despite the ethical standards that attorneys in every state are supposed to uphold. Also, all law students have to take a course in legal ethics, at least it was so back in the '80s. I'm assuming that hasn't changed. Furthermore, any lawyer can be brought up on malpractice charges, whether the charges have merit is another story.

Edited to Add: Oksana's attorneys probably need to be on their guard. Since the lawsuit did not go her way, she may try to sue them.

It's so very sad to see what her life has come to.
    Sad, indeed. In a way, almost as tragic as Tonya Harding -- so incredibly gifted as a skater but short-changed in so many other aspects of life. As another post pointed out, it's especially unfortunate that she couldn't/wouldn't learn from the guidance of people who seemed to have her best interests at heart. Hope she doesn't start with any more legal action -- IMO, a waste of time, money & energy.

Custom Title
    I do feel badly for Oksana, it is so necessary to surround yourself with good people that you can rely on to be honest and watch your back.

It makes you wonder what if? What if Kristi had decided to defend her title in 1994? What if Oksana won silver instead, would she have continued on towards 1998? Then again if Kristi did come back would there ever have been the Nancy/Tonia saga? Would the sport popularity exploded without the knee whack? Oh the figure skating drama.

I hope Oksana can rebound and enjoy her life.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NYscorp6 View Post
    It makes you wonder what if? What if Kristi had decided to defend her title in 1994? What if Oksana won silver instead, would she have continued on towards 1998? Then again if Kristi did come back would there ever have been the Nancy/Tonia saga? Would the sport popularity exploded without the knee whack? Oh the figure skating drama.
    Skating would be so different. Kristi was willing to stay until 1994 had Ito won gold. Her technical level was miles ahead of what Oksana showed in 1993 and 1994, and I think with Kristi around Tonya may have been more disciplined in her training. Nancy would not have been the victim of the attack because Tonya would have still not been the best American most likely.

Custom Title
    This is a story of a little girl who went from zero to hero so fast and had little stability to guide her through. She did need a Viktor and wife or someone to keep her grounded. I remember her in that fairly ridiculous pink costume with feathers. And frankly Nancy did beat her on technical ability but Oksana had such heart and everyone was sick of the Tonya/Nancy thing. Oksana was a Tonya with a Ukranian accent. It's just her antics came later with alcohol and then bizarre behavior. But, at some point, you have to stop feeling sorry for her and tell her that she needs to take responsibility. I guess that's what she'll have to do now with $35,000 bill in the mail. I don't blame NBC. That kind of action (suing frivolously) is wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2