Mishin: Plushenko may participate in Olympics 2022 as ice dancer | Golden Skate

Mishin: Plushenko may participate in Olympics 2022 as ice dancer

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
After Sochi, Mishin also said that Plushenko would be available for the Paralympics if they would add figure skating. He has a wonderful sense of humor. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's good that he might be joking. Or else I wouldn't know should I laugh or cry! :think:

Why not 2018 Olympics?

Well, he will obviously still be competing in the men's devision in 2018.

But back in the day skaters could compete in both singles and pairs at the same time. Maybe Mr. Plushenko's plan is to go for a two-fer in 2022. (And don't forget the team event.) :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Why is this news? He's clearly joking (or has gone nuts, but either way, I don't see Plushy agreeing to go into ice dance... unless they're trying to build Meoima's "We can't stop competing!" team and realized they lack ice dancers?)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh Professor, you are so funny.

AH! But some of you are perhaps a little blind, hmm? For there is another Plushenko, one who will be quite young and yet just old enough for his first Olympics in 2022... ;)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Oh Professor, you are so funny.

AH! But some of you are perhaps a little blind, hmm? For there is another Plushenko, one who will be quite young and yet just old enough for his first Olympics in 2022... ;)

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Plushy and one (or both) of his sons ended up competing in the same Olympics. :slink:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Plushy and one (or both) of his sons ended up competing in the same Olympics. :slink:
His first son's last name isn't Plushenko though. :)

Plushy says he doesn't want his sons to compete in figure skating... but I guess you didn't say they'd be competing in the same sport. (Has this ever happened before--a parent and child, regardless of which sports, competing in the same Olympics? I assume it can happen if the parent does shooting.)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
His first son's last name isn't Plushenko though. :)

Plushy says he doesn't want his sons to compete in figure skating... but I guess you didn't say they'd be competing in the same sport. (Has this ever happened before--a parent and child, regardless of which sports, competing in the same Olympics? I assume it can happen if the parent does shooting.)

Equestrian events, too; riders compete into their 60s and possibly beyond. Britain's Princess Anne, who rode w/ the British equestrian team in 2012, was 62 at the time. IIRC, she even medaled.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
*sigh* Sports are, sadly, not made equal. A 62-year-old rider can medal, but a 39-year-old ice dancer would be the height of madness. :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
*sigh* Sports are, sadly, not made equal. A 62-year-old rider can medal, but a 39-year-old ice dancer would be the height of madness. :)

True, that. Still, it's better than women's gymnastics, where you're pretty much over the hill even before you're out of your teens. It just ain't fair... :disapp:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

I recently looked up the oldest figure skaters to ever compete at the Olympics (just wondering where Plushy would stand, lol). Joseph Savage competed in pairs at the 1932 Olympics at the age of 52. They came in last, but...

"Savage later switched disciplines to ice dance and teamed with Marjorie Parker to win the first official United States championship in 1936. After he and Parker won a silver medal at the 1937 nationals, he joined forces with partner Katherine Durbrow to win another silver in 1938. The following year, he and Nettie Prantell finished second at the U.S. Championships. He later re-teamed with Parker, and the duo won a silver medal at the 1943 Nationals, at which time Savage was 63."