Thread: Plushenko asked to skate for another country

Hybrid View

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Plushenko asked to skate for another country

It makes sense. With the retirement of Davis and White Plushenko could realize his dream of competing in ice dance by switching to the USA.

Custom Title
    Note that he doesn't say "USFSA," but "people from the States." It could have been anyone, even a group of fans.

Custom Title
    Yeah right lets ask a skater who can barely compete more then once a season skate for the US that makes sense.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Even if Plushy was taking this seriously (and it doesn't sound as if he is), would the Russian fed ever consider releasing him? Or is that not an issue?

well.. he should skate for south korea for the men's team..especially the next olympics will be held there..and maybe mentor the men's team.. ala viktor ahn.. lol.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yeah right lets ask a skater who can barely compete more then once a season skate for the US that makes sense.
    Um, take a look at the US men at the Olympics.

The national champion: a total headcase, horrifically inconsistent, sometimes seems to just give up on the ice.

The young rookie: not fully consistent yet, not a lot of international rep, not a full technical arsenal yet.

It's not hard to see how, if someone had ingested perhaps a little too much of the local wine, after the team event, a man who has a full technical arsenal, is monumentally consistent, has an amazing competition head and an iron will, always gives his all and has excellent international rep with the judges might be an attractive prospect.

In all seriousness, I imagine someone was actually joking when they said this, but perhaps cultural differences/accent differences means that Plushy didn't quite pick up on the joke. It's all moot anyway: there's not a chance in hell the RuFed would ever release Plushy to skate for someone else - let alone the US!

I remember a few years ago he was asked to move to Japan and be Hanyu's coach, while still skating for Russia.

Custom Title
    Why are there all these random, obviously joking/impossible/crazy stories about Plushy running amok on the forums this week? I mean, not that I mind, but . It could've been a random fan from the States who asked him. And like Karne said, it's all moot: Plushy won't skate for any country but Russia, and won't get released even if he wants to leave.