So Youn Park -- The next queen of figure skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

So Youn Park -- The next queen of figure skating?

bmcc102

Rinkside
I like her a lot! She's actually a lot more appealing to me than Yuna ever was (sorry to say!).

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I hear that she is training in United States and we can assume that Yuna is helping her. But do you guys actually know who her official coach is?
According to the Worlds performance her coach is Hyun Jung Chi which I am assuming is the woman to the right in the K&C with her because on her left that's Ko Sunghee, a judge from the ISU, I remember her from Kim Yuna's Ice Dancing show in Korea. So Youn was in LA getting choreography and I believe Yuna went with her, I think they're back in Korea now.

Lebron

Spectator
Umm..Huge potential and perfect technic but I don't think she can be on top anyway though I think she can be a medal contender like Joannie.
Her speed and flow is not as good as young Yuna(and this directly affecting PCS and GOE)
Improving that element is really hard to my eyes.

Figureskaterr

Rinkside
This girl is very promising! She is still very young, I hope she keeps on developing and improving. I'm happy to hear that Yuna is helping her.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Call her the next "Queen" is too much but I agree she has potential to become a contender for podium in future, just not exactly the top. Korean don't care about FS anymore so she won't have much pressure I believe, no Korean expect her to become the "next Yuna" or anything close to that.

Her talent and building consistent alone can keep her somewhat A level in future, but she is seriously lack reputation, personality and hype to be "the one", Korea is not the powerhouse in this sport, come from "the Yuna Kim's nation" is not helping her.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
She has a lot of potential... but I'd hate to see it crushed under the weight of certain fans' hopes... that she will simply step into Kim's shoes, and become the next "queen".

I think very few people can withstand the kind of pressure that Kim was under, and yet still skate at top level with her consistency. It would be quite something if So Youn Park turned out to be another such person... but realistically, I think it's pretty unlikely.

Consequently (and I know how mean this must seem)... I think it might actually be good for her to have a poor season this year. Because it might bring certain people back to reality at this crucial early stage... so they might be more supportive and encouraging her to improve... rather than placing a weight of expectation on her shoulders.

And then maybe she can develop without too much pressure, and reach her full potential.

Don't know if that makes any sense. And maybe I'm being overly pessimistic. It's just that having seen the pressure and weight of expectation that Kim was under over the years... and the kind of near-religious fantacism that she inspired... I'm worried for So Youn Park... :-/

nguyenghita

On the Ice
She has a lot of potential... but I'd hate to see it crushed under the weight of certain fans' hopes... that she will simply step into Kim's shoes, and become the next "queen".

I think very few people can withstand the kind of pressure that Kim was under, and yet still skate at top level with her consistency. It would be quite something if So Youn Park turned out to be another such person... but realistically, I think it's pretty unlikely.
Totally agree

Consequently (and I know how mean this must seem)... I think it might actually be good for her to have a poor season this year. Because it might bring certain people back to reality at this crucial early stage... so they might be more supportive and encouraging her to improve... rather than placing a weight of expectation on her shoulders.

And then maybe she can develop without too much pressure, and reach her full potential.
Poor season debut is also a poor idea, that can totally destroy her potential/reputation in judges's eyes.

Don't know if that makes any sense. And maybe I'm being overly pessimistic. It's just that having seen the pressure and weight of expectation that Kim was under over the years... and the kind of near-religious fantacism that she inspired... I'm worried for So Youn Park... :-/
May I ask, why do you worry about these things? The pressure part I can understand, but the worship part is not a thing anyone can dream for, someone as position as Yuna right now can enjoy the rest of their life full in love, respect, fame and money, not a thing I feel worried about.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
The problem is she has yet to prove consistency.

I hope she's not another Zijun Li... :bang: Still hoping for her to come back though :p

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
She is very talented I was really surprised when i saw her in competition. And not only me the commentator also praised her.

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
Hi I'm new here. Of all the young Korean ladies, I like So Youn best, and I'm glad for her as she's getting so much love and support from here! I think it's hard to predict her future in 4 years or even further, but at least she has great potential. Let's hope she'll mature even more in terms of artistry, and, most importantly, find her stability.:)

Hi I'm new here. Of all the young Korean ladies, I like So Youn best, and I'm glad for her as she's getting so much love and support from here! I think it's hard to predict her future in 4 years or even further, but at least she has great potential. Let's hope she'll mature even more in terms of artistry, and, most importantly, find her stability.:)

Welcome, Sofia!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her jumps doesn't look fluid to me. She seems to slowdown before she vaults.

I wouldn't go as far to say that they are not fluid because when she lands them :love: I do agree with you about how she slows down or has tempo issues at times right before take off and it seems most noticeable on long set-ups.

smarts1

On the Ice
I wouldn't go as far to say that they are not fluid because when she lands them :love: I do agree with you about how she slows down or has tempo issues at times right before take off and it seems most noticeable on long set-ups.

Yep, the other thing is her flip technique is a bit :scratch:, especially with the clenched fists going in... But there is some promise there. We'll have to see how she develops.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Thank you for posting this thread, I will really enjoy watching her career blossom. She has very confident jumps, no hesitation. Very solid and graceful. I wasn't crazy about the music, felt it needed more but she is certainly on her way. Very exciting.

Is it October yet? I am ready for the season to begin!

elee63

Final Flight
She has potential. If she can consistently skate like this, there's not much to pick at in terms of her elements. My only issue is: I don't feel like she captured the variances in the music in this particular performance. The faster tempo in the beginning, and the slower tempo in the middle, were skated about the same way.

Best wishes to her next season, but it's too early to tell. I hope Korea doesn't put too much pressure on her. I'd love it if Korea became a mainstay in FS, at least for the women's discipline.

Sadly, I believe that except for her, Korea will be off the map for a while. The facilities and resources are STILL in quite pitiful shape, and true prodigies don't come about that often. And I've really wondered if Yuna Kim would have been able to reach such heights if she hadn't gone to Canada and had the coaches she's had. That's not to say that the Korean coaches aren't doing their job, but it's true to say that they're spread thin over a large number of skaters, as well as the fact that things like "pointed toes" and "extensions" just don't seem to be part of the criteria that they emphasize.

elee63

Final Flight
Her jumps doesn't look fluid to me. She seems to slowdown before she vaults.

Agreed. She has fairly big jumps, but the slowing down right before jumping trend seems to be common in Korean skaters (excluding Yuna), from what I've seen of practice vids. Really irks me

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I'm sad to hear the facilities and coaching still suck. I was really hoping, after Yuna's success, that Korea would decide to invest more in figure skating. I'm sure Yuna has inspired many youngsters in her country to take up skating--it's a shame if they get to a decent level, but they realize there aren't enough resources to push them further.