Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Programs You'd Love To See On Current Competitive Skaters

Custom Title

Old Programs You'd Love To See On Current Competitive Skaters

I've been thinking a lot about skaters that many posters feel don't have good material this season, or have never found material that best suits them. Sometimes you can tell when a choreographer is really inspired by a skater, for instance Lori Nichol with Michelle, Carolina or Denis to name a few and yet when her a great skater and a great choreographer don't click it can feel like a wasted opportunity, or you see a skater who just hasn't found the right material yet.

SO in the spirit of going back to favorite programs of the past, but also looking at skaters of today, I thought it might be fun to see what skates (competitive or exhibition) from the past that you think could work really well on a skater today, or might be offer the opportunity to explore untapped talent. Of course I know this would never actually happen for many reasons, but it would be fun to think about!

For instance I think it would be interesting to see Gracie skate to one of Nicole Bobek's old programs. I feel they move across the ice in a very similar way, and both have powerful, springy jumps, and the sort of fast, exciting energy in most of Nicole's programs could be an exciting realm for her to explore, but still be true to what Frank and Lori like to do.

I think Bobek's '95 Short would push her performance skills but also play up her sunny personality.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfcohSFIOE

Also Bobek's '98 long feels very much like the directions Frank and Lori want to take her, but is chock full of speed and I think could push her.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FblGVzjzxO0

For Mirai, I would love to see her try Michelle's Romanza. On Golden Pond is reminiscent of the quiet opening here, and it would be great to see her do a program that really uses her spirals to their fullest potential, and also the personality and speed of the flamenco in the footwork would be a great vehicle for her I think.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1imuQWeIi4Q

For Samantha, Chen Lu's Adios Nonino could be great. Sandra Bezic created a first class vehicle here and I think it's a style Samantha already connects to, she just hasn't gotten to do something this sophisticated yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxER4UaFxNA

I'm gonna start with just those ideas. Later on I'll try to add some non-US skaters/teams but I think this is a good start and hopefully it will inspire other folks to contribute their own program revivals they'd love to see!

Yulia ¨O¨ Akiko
    Gracie ¨Wonderland¨ Irina S.
    Elena R. ¨Czardas¨ Mao

Machida: Lambiel's Four seasons
    Denis: Lambiel's La traviata

Custom Title
    Sasha Cohen's 2006 Olympic SP for Adelina, since the Russian excels at these Spanish/Gypsy type programs. Maybe Ito's 1990 Sheherazhade (sp?) for Adelina's LP.
    Lyra Angelina for Julia. I know her skating is still a bit immature but I think a program like that would help her focus on more refined movement and not do too much as far as pointless transitions are concerned.

Rinkside
    Radionova, Wagner, or Tuktamysheva skating to Kwan's The Feeling Begins, though more Arabian/Middle Eastern themed programs for Tuktamysheva may not the best direction for her.

Gold skating to Kim's Dance Macabre. Heavy eye makeup and a subtle lip.

go figure
    I'd love for a fast skater/pair/couple to bring back Night on the Bald Mountain(?). Khokhlova and Novitski were unforgettable, and the music was so catchy. It hasn't been used in such a long time, at least in big international competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Elena R. ¨Czardas¨ Mao
    That would be awesome.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Sasha Cohen's 2006 Olympic SP for Adelina, since the Russian excels at these Spanish/Gypsy type programs. Maybe Ito's 1990 Sheherazhade (sp?) for Adelina's LP.
    Lyra Angelina for Julia. I know her skating is still a bit immature but I think a program like that would help her focus on more refined movement and not do too much as far as pointless transitions are concerned.
    This is a product of gaining points for the system - can't fault a skater for playing the point game.

Custom Title
    I've criticized Gracie a lot for her packaging, because I think she's trying hard to be a lyrical/balletic skater when something a bit more powerful would suit her so much better. Basically, she should be trying the types of programs that Ashley Wagner prefers. But if I had to pick one for her to do, it would be Jenny Kirk's Chicago SP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLM9jRlM6P4. Gracie already has a great "All That Jazz" EX, so I know she could slay with a program like that.

Tripping on the Podium
    Gracie Gold to skate to Irina Slutskaya's Totentanz SP. I think she will be much more interesting and real in the energetic routine to showcase big jumps than being the Disney Princess.
    Julia Lip to aim for Michelle Kwan's Red Violin - I believe she can carry off those dark themes.

Couple of programme music I love but impossible to find any "young" skaters to carry it off - Maria Butyrskaya's Melodii Beloj Nochi (SP 2001?), Kwan's Lyra Anjelica, Kostner's Ave Maria. Takes a certain maturity to carry off these.

Custom Title
    I would like to see either Elena Radionova or Tuktamysheva do Asada's 'Czardas' LP- should set a fire and I would love to see who can carry that vibe and showmanship.

I would LOVE to see Gracie Gold tackle something like Asada's original Liebestraum or Kim's Lark Ascending...just because it would be interesting. That would be the TRUE test of grace and lyricism on the ice. Pretty sure she would fail and that should open up Frank's eyes to NOT try and shape her into either one of these girls. THEN, ultimately give her Jenny Kirk's Chicago program.

I've always loved Yamaguchi's Malaguena- maybe give that to someone with sass.
    Last edited by TheCzar; 12-01-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Custom Title
    I would love to see Javi doing Yagudin's Winter and Yuzuru doing his MITIM or Gladiator
    Last edited by HanDomi; 12-01-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Ashley Wagner doing Irina's Totentanz!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    This is a product of gaining points for the system - can't fault a skater for playing the point game.
    I understand, I guess transitions was the wrong word, rather pointless arms movements. V&T and Chan pack their programs with a ton of transitions but they are integrated into the choreography very well. These skaters look like they're doing choreography, whereas most of the ladies look like they are doing transitions to music.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Yulia ¨O¨ Akiko
    Gracie ¨Wonderland¨ Irina S.
    Elena R. ¨Czardas¨ Mao
    Yes to the suggestions for Gracie and Elena. I think Elena in particular would rock that program.

I think Yulia would absolutely butcher that beautiful program. Akiko skated with a joy that Julia seems utterly incapable of showcasing.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I like the suggestions for Adelina. She could also try Sasha's Malaguena program from Worlds 2004 that is fiery, just like her Carmen from Sochi, which was a great program.

Again, not a good suggestion for Yulia IMO. She can't do programs like that! It takes a rare artistic talent to pull Lyra Angelica off... Carolina could have done it. I think Satoko could give it a shot.

Additional suggestions:
    Tara Lipinski's "The Rainbow": Elena Radionova
    Michelle Kwan's "Dream of Desdemona": Yulia Lipnitskaia
    Michelle Kwan's "Salome": Adelina Sotnikova
    Shizuka Arakawa's "Turandot": Satoko Miyahara
    Chen Lu's "Butterfly Lovers": Li Zijun (very stereotypical I know...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast