Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Predict the (skating) future

The land of the free and the home of le Flutz

Predict the (skating) future

A lot of us skating fans like to think about what the future of figure skating will be like. Will the IJS be expelled after yet another legendary scandal? Which juniors or even novices are the Olympic champions of 2030-somethign? Which of today's stars are tomorrow's commentators, choreographers, or top coaches? This is the Crazy Future Predictions thread on a plausible level. Anything from the 2022 Olympic ice dance podium to who ends up together (well, I won't make that call, but some of you might want to!) goes, as long as it's actually possible. (Plushenko landing quad axels at 70 and POTO being banned are both not examples). Have fun and let the games begin!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Plushenko landing quad axels at 70 is possible, who knows what exciting new cybernetics will be developed. I bet Plushenko conveniently has the right kind of body for accepting cyborg implant. He won't ever go away. He will jump into our eyes and hearts and minds, forever and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Plushenko landing quad axels at 70 is possible, who knows what exciting new cybernetics will be developed. I bet Plushenko conveniently has the right kind of body for accepting cyborg implant. He won't ever go away. He will jump into our eyes and hearts and minds, forever and forever.
    True...but for now, such technology does not exist, so I am currently not considering it a possibility.

Also, the age limit for the Olympics is 60.

Akiko coach and coreographer
    Mao Coach
    Elena Radionova Actress
    Yuna coach
    Denis Ten president of ISU
    Marin Honda and Wakaba figure skaters stars at olympics 2022.
    At 2030 jumps, spins, SS and transitions will be evaluated with a computational software , so judges can focus on the interpretation, coreography and execution and we all still won't be agree with scores

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Akiko coach and coreographer
    Mao Coach
    Elena Radionova Actress
    Yuna coach
    Denis Ten president of ISU
    Marin Honda and Wakaba figure skaters stars at olympics 2022.
    At 2030 jumps, spins, SS and transitions will be evaluated with a computational software , so judges can focus on the interpretation, coreography and execution and we all still won't be agree with scores
    I can see Mao as a coach but somehow not Yuna. I can see her having a high position with the ISU or on an Olympic committee but not as a coach. I could be completely off base though. +1 to Akiko as a choreographer.

Wakaba winning an OGM sometime in the future.
    Karen Chen having an amazing senior debut.
    Soyoun's PCS improves next year.
    Tuk lands a triple axel in both a SP and FS.

Can I call Wakaba Higuchi as the next OGM now?

Not a fan of putting undue pressure on young skaters (and that's not what I'm trying to do here) but OGM winners tend to surprise everyone (except for Yuna in 2010) and by 2018 I think many of the top Russian ladies will be in contention, but Higuchi will surprise everyone.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I also don't see Yuna as a coach, but I do think she will be very important to the sport in some capacity.
    I predict Javi will win the GPF in his home country.
    Kavaguti and Smirnov never reach the level of success they one did.
    Russian ladies who will not make another world team: Anna Pogorilaya, Alena Leonova, and Adelina Sotnikova (I know, that one is a bold statement).
    Ashley and Gracie are 4 and 5 at Worlds in Boston

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layback11 View Post
    A lot of us skating fans like to think about what the future of figure skating will be like. Will the IJS be expelled after yet another legendary scandal? Which juniors or even novices are the Olympic champions of 2030-somethign?
    2030 is 15 years away. I bet that some of the singles and pair girls who will be contending for medals that year haven't yet set foot on the ice or are still toddling around, nowhere near novice or junior level yet.

Good point. The 2020's may be more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by desertskates View Post
    I also don't see Yuna as a coach, but I do think she will be very important to the sport in some capacity.
    I predict Javi will win the GPF in his home country.
    Kavaguti and Smirnov never reach the level of success they one did.
    Russian ladies who will not make another world team: Anna Pogorilaya, Alena Leonova, and Adelina Sotnikova (I know, that one is a bold statement).
    Ashley and Gracie are 4 and 5 at Worlds in Boston
    Well yes. . . but what order? There's the drama

I think Yuzuru will win again in 2018.
    Bjou will become a coach and finally win this olympic medal in 2020.
    I hope and think Daisuke will be a choreographer. I don't see him becoming a coach though. Maybe he could be part of a coaching duo (with his wife Mao, one can dream).
    I don't see Yuna becoming a coach. I think she is done with skating. I think she will continue the All that skate company and do business/sport management. Or maybe something in diplomacy like Michelle Kwan, given her statute in Korea and her work with Unicef. I just see her as someone really ambitious (and really pushed by her entourage).

Oh also Volosozhar/Trankov would be an awesome coaching team. Listening to Maxim's commentary shows he is really knowledgeable and passionate about pair skating and also has a very clear vision of what he thinks pair skating should be.
    Last but not least, Denis Ten will become ISU president. Take note that in 30 years on this forum I'll be like "I called that. I told you so".

Quads will become even more the norm in the men's competition. Multiple quads programs will be the norm
    We will see more 3axels in the ladie's event
    In a near future, Tuk will land a quad in competition, and we might see her do a 3 axel combo
    Last edited by dress; 05-16-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Custom Title
    This is for the US Ladies:
    Ashley and Gracie will be 4 and 5 in Boston. A new skater will come up. She will be 4th in 2017 and 5th in 2018. Then it will be time for the Olympics, where she will come in 6th in the Olympics. Don't worry, though. Another skater will be on the way, and she and her friend will be 4th, 5th or 6th every year until 2022.

NBC will drop figure skating coverage, except for the Olympics and an afternoon showing of the Nationals in between football and infomercials.

Custom Title
    Polina stalking her jumps less. And possibly edging someone (read: Gracie or Ashley) out for a spot on the worlds team.

=|

I hope someone emerges as a top contender.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast