Thread: Japan’s Machida out of the shadows

News Japan’s Machida out of the shadows

Japan’s Tatsuki Machida, who has regularly been in the shadow of his famous teammates Mao Asada, Miki Ando and Daisuke Takahashi, is an interesting skater that has invariably been appreciated by knowledgeable fans.

More

Cheering Wildly from the stands
    Great article!
    Machida has improved and continues to improve his skating each time he gets on the ice.
    I thought Japan Nationals might be slightly less competitive this year, but if Mura and Machida continue strongly as the have so far, it's going to be an exciting event to watch.

Custom Title
    Great article, indeed! It's nice to know a little more about Machida--he really captivated me with his SA performance!

Thank you for the article

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What a good article!

I was particularly interested to read Machida's remarks about choreographing his new programs! I will have to go read up on symphonic ballet. IMO, Mills is an interesting choreographer and does a nice job of making programs that really fit the skater, rather than expressing some Mills-style. Good to hear he is working with Tatsuki!

This season, the literature student chose the music for both programs, using Philipp Mills as his choreographer again.

“He is the one that understands my artistic side the most,” explained Machida, who is also coached by Yoshinori Onishi. “I picked the music first and then we had a long discussion about how to construct the programs with this music, how to edit the music. It was a long process until we got to the actual choreographing.”

I'm definitely in love with his programs this year, you can really see the thoughtful approach he talks about in all the movements and in how everything is measured and carefully executed, not just "thrown there" to make impact: this is real maturity! And I love the part about being both a top athlete and a student, too

Great article, appreciated his insight on his challenges for this season and what he wants to accomplish. I always thought the FP was missing something and was glad that he sort of held back in a sense to ensure that his score is only going to keep going up.

Very nice article. I've always been a fan of the underdogs. And indeed Machida in the previous season was describably "out of the shadows" of the top-guns and over-HYPED skaters. And he is a perfect example, that if you just do good and strive harder and give your very best, you can outshine them. And that's why he's became my favorite now.

He's not in any shadows anymore. I love his programs and his 100% effort. He is a favorite for me as well.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I'm definitely in love with his programs this year, you can really see the thoughtful approach he talks about in all the movements and in how everything is measured and carefully executed, not just "thrown there" to make impact: this is real maturity!
    ITA. Every move has purpose and meaning and great that the judges see that too.

Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    And I love the part about being both a top athlete and a student, too
    Me too! And I wonder whether he's also getting top marks as a student.

Quote Originally Posted by lbc2138 View Post
    Great article, appreciated his insight on his challenges for this season and what he wants to accomplish. I always thought the FP was missing something and was glad that he sort of held back in a sense to ensure that his score is only going to keep going up.
    Yes, I also felt Tatsuki's FP in SA can soar even higher, which is not a bad thing as there is still room for improvement. He looked totally spent in the end which is uncharacteristic of him. I think with his first competition out of the way, he knows now how to "pace" himself. Looking forward to his skate in TEB!