Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canada's skating program without Chan, Virtue-Moir

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar

Canada's skating program without Chan, Virtue-Moir

Scott and Tessa mentoring W&P perhaps?

For nearly a decade, Weaver and Poje operated in the shadow of Virtue and Moir. Now, they're the tone-setters in ice dance and their Detroit-based camp has not been above asking the former Olympic champs for some knowledge.

That's part of why Moir was in the building.

“I think (Tessa and Scott) know everything there is to know about technique and artistry (in terms of) connection – all the things we want to improve,” Weaver said. “For either of them to see the programs and give us a little feedback would be extremely valuable. If they could do that, we would be very grateful.”

Keeping an open mind has been a common theme in Weaver and Poje's rise through the ranks. While most athletes draw a line between competitor and fan, they don't.
    http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2014/09...an-virtue-moir

Custom Title
    I had no idea Andrew Poje was this tall - 6 foot 4!

Custom Title
    Well now its time for Weaver and Poje and Reynolds to step up. Sure it won't be the same but there must be a new generation of talented skaters every number of years.

The podiums will look very interesting this year.

Cheering Wildly from the stands
    I just hope this will not lessen Canada's coverage of Figure Skating events.
    I like watching CBC coverage, but will they continue as they have before?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    Scott and Tessa mentoring W&P perhaps?

For nearly a decade, Weaver and Poje operated in the shadow of Virtue and Moir. Now, they're the tone-setters in ice dance and their Detroit-based camp has not been above asking the former Olympic champs for some knowledge.

That's part of why Moir was in the building.

“I think (Tessa and Scott) know everything there is to know about technique and artistry (in terms of) connection – all the things we want to improve,” Weaver said. “For either of them to see the programs and give us a little feedback would be extremely valuable. If they could do that, we would be very grateful.”
    http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2014/09...an-virtue-moir
    @tessavirtue
    Strange sitting in the stands at the @skatecanada HP camp, but exciting to see inspiring material from those on the ice! #teamcanada
    8:04 AM - 5 Sep 2014
    https://twitter.com/tessavirtue/stat...07211608469504

So Tessa also was/is at High Performance Camp, and I think the answer to your question would be Yes , at least to some extent. Esp. b/c Virtue/Moir have had such a long and strong friendship with Weaver/Poje.
    (Not unlike Charlie White mentoring his close friends the Shibs , although they have the advantage of proximity and prob. more "face time" for consultations.)

Anyway, I think it's great that V/M are at HP Camp. They love to give back, and I would even extrapolate that it is possible that they are providing feedback to others in addition to Weaver/Poje.

Thx for the article and thread, Alba.

#TeamAUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbiespectator View Post
    I just hope this will not lessen Canada's coverage of Figure Skating events.
    I like watching CBC coverage, but will they continue as they have before?
    It probably wont in saying that, are theystill going ahead with the cuts at cbc?

Rogue Leader
    GF2445, as far as I know, the cuts are still a go. However, I don't know how many years they bought skating rights for. It's possible the cuts won't be noticed right away if they still have a contract for another year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    So Tessa also was/is at High Performance Camp, and I think the answer to your question would be Yes , at least to some extent. Esp. b/c Virtue/Moir have had such a long and strong friendship with Weaver/Poje.
    (Not unlike Charlie White mentoring his close friends the Shibs, although they have the advantage of proximity and prob. more "face time" for consultations.)

Anyway, I think it's great that V/M are at HP Camp. They love to give back, and I would even extrapolate that it is possible that they are providing feedback to others in addition to Weaver/Poje.

Thank you for the info.

It's sad for me not to see Tessa and Scott competing.
    However, I'm glad they are going to be involved somehow and hopefully they will have their own school.

My secret desire is to see Elena and Ruslan (only them from Russia ) working with Tessa and Scott.
    I know Elena loves them, and it will be great for them (I&Z) to work with such a great ice dance couple like V&M.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles View Post
    GF2445, as far as I know, the cuts are still a go. However, I don't know how many years they bought skating rights for. It's possible the cuts won't be noticed right away if they still have a contract for another year or two.
    CBC had a five-year contract with the ISU. There's still at least one season left on that contract (maybe 2), so we'll still get coverage of the upcoming season. After that, though, we could be out of luck. When CBC announced the cut-backs after they lost hockey, they said they would no longer bid on sports that don't make a profit for them. I don't know if they make a profit, or how much of a profit, on figure skating.

An historic hat-trick for Canada at JGP in Ostrava.

Pairs: Julianne Seguin/Charlie Bilodeau (1st both in SP&LP) total score: 159,40
    Ice Dance: Mackenzie Bent/Garrett Mackeen (1st both in SD&FD) total score: 138,17
    Men: Roman Sadovsky (1st in SP, 3rd in LP) total score: 192,08

Rinkside
    Hard to imagine how it could make a profit on skating. The demographics aren't the best.

Rinkside
    Do I understand that PChan will not compete at the national championship 2015 in Kingston?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    There is definitely going to be a new roster of skaters going forward, but that is the nature of figure skating. I am looking forward to the upcoming season. I sure hope the CBC continues to broadcast figure skating, but with all the cuts it's hard to say.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by m0001 View Post
    Do I understand that PChan will not compete at the national championship 2015 in Kingston?
    I thought there was still a possibility he may skate though I thnk most of us are doubtful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast