Project Runway Season 13 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Project Runway Season 13

I expected that we would run in to trouble with Sandhya but not this soon. She is not really adaptable: her agenda is to show her viewpoint and her heritage, and this doesn't always fit with either a team task or some of the unconventional challenges. And this one was both! I feel bad for her. The producers so often choose one or two (or more) designers who are so off the beaten path that they can't really do what's demanded for a show like this, either because of time management problems or a lack of technical grounding or because they don't think like mainstream designers.

I liked the winning dress. As it was being made, I didn't think much of it, but golly, it worked out well! In fact, quite a few dresses ended up being pretty splendid. That one with the green cellophane and the letters on top had a huge wow factor.

louisa05

Final Flight
I expected that we would run in to trouble with Sandhya but not this soon. She is not really adaptable: her agenda is to show her viewpoint and her heritage, and this doesn't always fit with either a team task or some of the unconventional challenges. And this one was both! I feel bad for her. The producers so often choose one or two (or more) designers who are so off the beaten path that they can't really do what's demanded for a show like this, either because of time management problems or a lack of technical grounding or because they don't think like mainstream designers.

I liked the winning dress. As it was being made, I didn't think much of it, but golly, it worked out well! In fact, quite a few dresses ended up being pretty splendid. That one with the green cellophane and the letters on top had a huge wow factor.

I didn't like Amanda's. But Amanda rubs me the wrong way. Don't know why. She did on her original season, too. I thought the one with the cellophane should have been the winner. Amanda just draped stuff over muslin.

I wish we could have seen more of the judges comments about the groups not top or bottom.

Sandhya is talented, but needs to get herself together. Unless there was something much nastier that we did not see, the arguments between her and the other two were not to the level that she needed to go crying to Tim. At least not at the point we saw it happen. Perhaps it was worse or her going to Tim happened after Hernan went all dictator on them. Carrie was more than immature. I have to wonder how long her arguing with the judges actually went on. Those critiques, in real time, are sometimes a couple of hours. Nina's strong reaction ("I'm angry" and when she said they don't have to justify themselves) made me think it all went on much, much longer and was much worse than what we saw. She kind of buried herself. If she had shut up, I think Hernan may have ended up going once they knew from Tim that the design was essentially all his.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
The winning dress grabbed me right away -- even before the runway show -- which surprised me because my taste is very classic for the most part. I also liked the other dresses in the top 3.

The "auf" also surprised me although I won't miss Carrie. Agree that she may have done herself in when she kept arguing during the critique. Of the 3 in that group, Hernan's design looked the best to me but my bet was on him for the loss because he more or less strong-armed Carrie and Sandhya into using the film to produce a more unified look.

My sense is that Sandyha was putting tremendous pressure on herself after having won the first challenge. IIRC, many of the designers didn't think she deserved the win, which must have felt horrible. She impresses me as sort of a people-pleaser who really needs to be liked, so may have been feeling she had to justify the win. Grain of salt: this is just my opinion and I may be reading too much into things.

Sandyhya and Angela both seem to crack easily under pressure, so I wonder if they have the grit to keep going when more people are weeded out and the competition gets even tougher.

louisa05

Final Flight
The winning dress grabbed me right away -- even before the runway show -- which surprised me because my taste is very classic for the most part. I also liked the other dresses in the top 3.

The "auf" also surprised me although I won't miss Carrie. Agree that she may have done herself in when she kept arguing during the critique. Of the 3 in that group, Hernan's design looked the best to me but my bet was on him for the loss because he more or less strong-armed Carrie and Sandhya into using the film to produce a more unified look.

My sense is that Sandyha was putting tremendous pressure on herself after having won the first challenge. IIRC, many of the designers didn't think she deserved the win, which must have felt horrible. She impresses me as sort of a people-pleaser who really needs to be liked, so may have been feeling she had to justify the win. Grain of salt: this is just my opinion and I may be reading too much into things.

Sandyhya and Angela both seem to crack easily under pressure, so I wonder if they have the grit to keep going when more people are weeded out and the competition gets even tougher.

Seconded on Angela for sure. Saw a lot of moaning on another forum that the judges are unfairly going after Angela and, obviously, the producers hate her and want her off. Not buying that at all. First of all, if you truly believe the producers are only after drama and are controlling every single thing for that purpose, they aren't going to force out someone who has a breakdown every five minutes. Secondly, I have read more than once that the judges often comment on "safe" designs before everyone is sent off. We just don't normally see it. I think they edited that particular comment in for the sake of letting us see how much they liked what the rest of her team did. As for Angela, I don't think she will last much longer. She can't handle any criticism whatsoever. It is one thing to be so upset by the judges, but she can't even handle a constructive suggestion from Tim. And it seems she cannot design on demand at all. That is not necessarily a horrible fault as I doubt Zac Posen, were he honest with us, has ever had to sketch, shop, then construct something in a given style or parameter from start to finish in 24 hours with interruptions for television.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That was, for the most part, uncomfortable to watch. The judging is getting vicious, which I don't find particularly entertaining. Admittedly, Carrie does seem immature and someone should tell Hernan to come down a little honey, you're not Karl Lagerfeld. Still, the judges all seemed to relish unsheathing their claws. Ah well, that's entertainment...

None of the teams--as teams--particularly grabbed me. I liked several of the individual looks--Samantha's in particular, and Sean's coat dress (though it rather did reference that test tube dress from a few seasons back, wasn't quite as good, and lacked shape). Of the winning team, I preferred the marquee dress (can't remember the designer's name) to Amanda's, which looked like a more finished version of Emilio Sosa's infamous string and washers bikini. And The Mitchell was a pleasant surprise, both the design and the fact that he seems to be a much more compassionate person than first appeared. And I absolutely did not get the venom directed at Angela's dress. It was basic, yes, but very pretty, and much more cohesive with Sean's straw dress than fade's overdesigned dress. Very strange judging, especially for so early in the season.

Really, though, it's already becoming Project Dysfunction and Tears. What's next? Design a pretty straitjacket with fabric from Mood (how appropos!)...

On an up note, Hot Makeup Daddy is back, so there is something to look forward to.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WA, you have so many of the designers names down...good for you. I don't so here's a list of them.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-13/designers

Carrie Sleutskaya stood by her design. I wonder if she's related to Irina (I know the names are spelled differently but you can always work a figure skater into the conversation :laugh:)

I too agree that the judges are being a little too vicious as when Nina says....why do we have to explain our decision.

Sorry but Angela is getting on my nerves. I don't think the judges had to say anything to her about bringing the team down. That was mean. I thought her dress was OK.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-13/rate-the-runway/episode-2#id=7

This looks so blahhhh!!!!

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-13/rate-the-runway/episode-2#id=4

in comparison to this

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-13/rate-the-runway/episode-2#id=14

or even this

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-13/rate-the-runway/episode-2#id=15

I feel that Zac Posen frequently sounds rather cruel. Michael Kors could criticize someone's design and somehow give it a bit of warmth, but Posen comes across as the cool guy looking down his nose at the lowest of the low. It doesn't hit me right, somehow.

I was fascinated by Carrie's hair! I will be sorry to see it go. And I always feel bad for someone let go very early, because there's no time to get to know that person.

louisa05

Final Flight
I feel that Zac Posen frequently sounds rather cruel. Michael Kors could criticize someone's design and somehow give it a bit of warmth, but Posen comes across as the cool guy looking down his nose at the lowest of the low. It doesn't hit me right, somehow.

I was fascinated by Carrie's hair! I will be sorry to see it go. And I always feel bad for someone let go very early, because there's no time to get to know that person.

I don't know how much we can judge the tone of the judges, though, given that we see ten minutes edited out of hours of critiques. Nina's "I'm angry" comment and Zac basically saying shut up seemed so over the top and harsh in the context of what we saw, but I suspect that Carrie's arguing had gone on so long that everyone reached a boiling point. I also think that PR likes to set up a a designers vs. judges sort of conflict and social media feedback is clear that the audience enjoys being able to come down on the side of the designers--so it is edited as such.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't know how much we can judge the tone of the judges, though, given that we see ten minutes edited out of hours of critiques. Nina's "I'm angry" comment and Zac basically saying shut up seemed so over the top and harsh in the context of what we saw, but I suspect that Carrie's arguing had gone on so long that everyone reached a boiling point. I also think that PR likes to set up a a designers vs. judges sort of conflict and social media feedback is clear that the audience enjoys being able to come down on the side of the designers--so it is edited as such.

True, but the editing does seem to be emphasizing it this year. And frankly, there was no need for Heidi to gleefully point out that Sean/fade/Angela didn't win because Angela dragged down their scores. I know she's done that in the past, but there seemed to me to be a whole different tone to the way it was done this time.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
True, but the editing does seem to be emphasizing it this year. And frankly, there was no need for Heidi to gleefully point out that Sean/fade/Angela didn't win because Angela dragged down their scores. I know she's done that in the past, but there seemed to me to be a whole different tone to the way it was done this time.

I think the key word there is "gleeful" and another one that comes to mind is "smug." Not very nice and completely uncalled-for.

Did anyone watch last night? I don't want to be a spoiler so will only say that: (a) the decision made me sad for the person going home even though it seemed like the correct call; and (b) the person who almost went home is really lucky b/c that design was just flat-out ugly. JMO.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I watched and I didn't feel sorry for Angela at all. She is living in la-la land. She didn't want to hear a word they said...she still thinks she's a good designer.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I watched and I didn't feel sorry for Angela at all. She is living in la-la land. She didn't want to hear a word they said...she still thinks she's a good designer.

Remember what Tim said to her? That she's very talented but PR just wasn't the right arena for her? I liked the pieces she showed at her audition b/c of their simplicity. She may do very well designing high-end career separates although probably won't make it in couture. The reason I feel bad for her is that I think unless she develops a thicker skin and more self-confidence, she's going to get eaten alive in the fashion world.

Having said that, what she did this week seemed mediocre to me at best. It didn't fit well and seemed to lack conviction. Still, her project last week didn't seem that awful to me -- I thought some of the others were much worse.

I pretty much agree, Skatedreamer. I feel bad for Angela because she's probably always been hardworking and in control of her life and has received well-deserved praise for her efforts in other areas. This must have been like getting drenched with ice water every week. As with many of the self-taught or inexperienced designers who end up on PR on the strength of their audition, she did not thrive in the high-pressure arena of such a show.

My favorite outfit was that jumpsuit with the cloak over it. What beautiful workmanship and sleek lines! I'd wear that in a heartbeat. I wasn't fond of Sandhya's winning garment, with those rather bulky tube things on the shoulders. Like boa constrictors, I thought.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Remember what Tim said to her? That she's very talented but PR just wasn't the right arena for her?

Yes, that statement in my opinion was uncalled for. It wasn't so much her design or lack of ...it was her behavior that bothered me.

louisa05

Final Flight
Remember what Tim said to her? That she's very talented but PR just wasn't the right arena for her? I liked the pieces she showed at her audition b/c of their simplicity. She may do very well designing high-end career separates although probably won't make it in couture. The reason I feel bad for her is that I think unless she develops a thicker skin and more self-confidence, she's going to get eaten alive in the fashion world.

Having said that, what she did this week seemed mediocre to me at best. It didn't fit well and seemed to lack conviction. Still, her project last week didn't seem that awful to me -- I thought some of the others were much worse.

Her audition pieces were good. Not everyone is going to be able to handle the design-on-demand environment. Think about it--they have to produce something in certain parameters, with certain inspirations usually in 24 hours (which is heavily disrupted by production matters). We aren't all inspired by the same things on such short timetables. I'm not sure there has ever been a winner who didn't have at least one horrible challenge that landed them in the bottom. Not in my memory, anyway.

I didn't dislike Angela and her designs weren't awful, but I was relieved that they cut her. Keeping her just seemed like it would have been torturing her.

The jumpsuit was done a few years ago by wretched Gretchen for a Marie Claire challenge. I'm thinking that's why Nina was not impressed. Scroll down for photos:
http://www.fashionmefabulous.com/2010/08/project-runway-s8-ep2-top-model-edition.html

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Olympia, you've hit the nail on the head as you so often do. Truth to tell, I've been in Angela's shoes a few times myself which is probably why I feel for her. :cry:

That jumpsuit/cloak combination really was a knockout, wasn't it? :love: Absolutely agree re: Sandhya's design. I didn't get it at all -- to me the tube things looked purely gratuitous and didn't seem to have any relation to the rest of the dress. The length was off, too, IMO. It might have worked in a shorter version but as a mini, it also could have ended up looking like a leftover from a '60s go-go dancer... :biggrin:

Alba

Record Breaker
The drama frustrates the daylights out of me, too. If there's going to be drama, I want it to come from the sewing machines (as in gorgeous clothes), not the designers' petty squabbles!

The americans are ok. You should see the italian version. They are all bitches, women and men included. :slink::laugh:

Is Heidi still saying 'Auf Wiedersehen'? I hate that. :eek:hwell:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think the key word there is "gleeful" and another one that comes to mind is "smug." Not very nice and completely uncalled-for.

Did anyone watch last night? I don't want to be a spoiler so will only say that: (a) the decision made me sad for the person going home even though it seemed like the correct call; and (b) the person who almost went home is really lucky b/c that design was just flat-out ugly. JMO.

The americans are ok. You should see the italian version. They are all bitches, women and men included. :slink::laugh:

Is Heidi still saying 'Auf Wiedersehen'? I hate that. :eek:hwell:

I think people tend to forget that even during the first few seasons of PR, there was drama aplenty. Just think of Morganza~the model from hell, Wendy Pepper, "it's a m-fing walkoff," did Jeffrey cheat with his final collection or not, etc etc etc. The difference is, it never felt like the drama was producer-manipulated-and-manufactured like it has for the last umpteenth season.

As far as Angela, I said before that I really liked her audition rack. There will always be a space for good, clean, well-designed separates (you might even say that's a hallmark of some of the best American fashion design). But PR is a game show that creates a highly artificial pressure cooker. She might be smarter to go the Chloe route--establish a small boutique where you can design to your heart's content and make a decent living.

Oh yes, "Auf Wiedersehen" is alive as is "Make it work." It wouldn't be the American PR without them.

Haven't watched the latest episode yet, but I did look at the designs on the Lifetime website. Apparently the future looks very much like today. And black. Very black.

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh yes, "Auf Wiedersehen" is alive as is "Make it work." It wouldn't be the American PR without them.

:laugh: Oh god, how a woman can say that for 13 years and not be bored. :biggrin: I love Tim though. :love:

I haven't seen all seasons, especially the last ones, but I like PR USA.
It has rhythm, there are good ideas, it's entertaining and there are many good&talented people among the competitors.