Project Runway Season 13 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Project Runway Season 13

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's the old debate..is it a design competition or Project Seamstress?

Really, it's such a lackluster season so far, it's hard to get that emotionally invested in any of the designs or designers.

Tom & Lorenzo nailed what is currently wrong with PR: the producers are looking for ways to create unnecessary drama and to make the designers send out crappy designs to give them more--if you will pardon the expression--material to work with:
http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/08/project-runway-theres-something-about-amanda/

But the Amanda & fade therapy sessions were cute.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Really, it's such a lackluster season so far, it's hard to get that emotionally invested in any of the designs or designers.

It's getting worse and worse. Thursday's episode was so frustrating for me that I may stop watching if things don't start looking up very soon. :scowl: Sean's white top was lovely but would it have turned out that well if he'd sewn it himself? The bodice of Kini's dress didn't fit that well, IMO -- maybe he should have spent less time helping Sean and more on refining his own look.

I took a look at some of the designs from a few years ago. Some of the ones that have won this season would have gotten a pass @ best and very possibly an auf. And why still no love for fade? :disapp:

They need to bring TLo in as guest judges! :biggrin:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In your opinion Skatedreamer who should have won??

heyang

Record Breaker
Note: can't blame the judges since they only know what's brought to light on the runway. Tim isn't supposed to say anything about what's happening in the work room; so, he wouldn't have mentioned the cumberbund. and I guess Kini didn't want to throw Sean under the bus by saying that he executed the top.

I do agree that this season is lacking in the Wow factor.

I don't get the point in having returning designer Amanda. Never felt she was that great. However, as with skating, she's being judged same as everyone else and it's not as though she's won all the challenges. I don't think the other contestants should view her prior experience as an advantage as this point.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
In your opinion Skatedreamer who should have won??

Geez. I was about to say Kini b/c he did most of the work but could make an argument for Sean as well since his blouse was arguably the most eye-catching. IMO, Kini may have shot himself in the foot by helping Sean instead of paying more attention to the details on his own garment. To my eye, the ruffle was too big and the skirt was too long -- that's on top of the bodice not fitting properly. This is a design competition, not a sewing competition.

I might have felt better if Sean had given credit to Kini for sewing the blouse and to Tim for suggesting the cummerbund. That way, @ least the judges would have had a fuller picture of who did what.

If this hadn't been a team challenge, I think I would have given the win to fade for creating such an interesting fabric.

OK, Dee, fair is fair -- who would you have picked? :biggrin:

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, Dee, fair is fair -- who would you have picked? :biggrin:

In my most humble opinion :)laugh:), I thought it was between Kini and Fade. I thought both designs were spectacular. I did like Sean's designs but it was a pair of slacks and a top, very nice but........

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The first episode of the season I not only enjoyed (Tough Love Tim is the BEST--they should really let him go to town like that every episode; far more entertaining than hearing the designers snipe at each other or proclaim they are going to win win win), but there were actually two really good designs for me this ep: Sean's royalty gown (love the silhouette and the velvet trim), and Karima's coat and dress. I suspect she's been saving that coat design for a challenge, but even the dress underneath was tres chic.

Next week, a rainway? Oh PR, the more gimmicky you get, the more you are announcing to the world, Yes We Are Desperate For Ratings...

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't get saving Char Glover; I didn't get Tim's comment ...if it were later I would save you in a minute? Then he saves her...I didn't get it at all.

louisa05

Final Flight
I didn't get saving Char Glover; I didn't get Tim's comment ...if it were later I would save you in a minute? Then he saves her...I didn't get it at all.

I assume he feels like he needs to save the save for late so that someone who probably deserves to be in the final 3 doesn't get cut on a fluke. There is no way that it wasn't his decision and his real emotion, though. I've been expecting to see "the producers made him" online. No way. If you've seen The Smurfs movies or his cameo on How I Met Your Mother, you would know that Tim CANNOT ACT. Love him. But he just can't act.

And, again, because this is a competition, producers can manipulate the challenges, manipulate the footage, but the ways in which they can manipulate the judging decisions are VERY limited. I also will never, ever understand all the "it was so pure and about design on Bravo". Whatever, people. Bravo brought us the drama and hideous design of Wendy Pepper and landed her in the finale.

heyang

Record Breaker
Ok peeps - would you have chosen Kini or Sean for this week's Rainway challenge?

I was hoping Kini would get the win. His outfit was stunning.

Sean's made an impact too, but if you just look at the dress after the show, it's a nice enough dress, but not as avant garde as Kini's IMHO.....

Also, I don't get the judges' love of Sandhya's work. I usually think she's won't be safe. She's not the worst designer, but it seems like she sticks coils of metallic materials on her designs. I guess it fulfilled the 'techno' and editorial part of the challenge, but I just can't see myself ever wearing any of her stuff.

I wish Tim had still had his save for Fade. I agree that he didn't fulfil the challenge this week, but I've really liked his work compared to others like Char, Sandhya and some of the others.

For me, Sean and Kini should be in the final 3.... not sure who I'd pick for the 3rd....

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I was rooting for Kini, too, but according to Tom & Lorenzo, that type of look has been done a fair amount in the past, most notably by Alexander McQueen. There's no doubt that Sean's dress created a stunning effect on the "rainway" and I liked it a lot. Overall, though, the win seemed like a farce to me (trying not to spoil anything for those who haven't watched).

Sandhya is losing me, too -- her stuff just doesn't compute in my brain but that's just me. I sort of think she should have been sent home a couple of weeks ago for those gold "snakes" or more recently when she created that look in Big Bird yellow (when Char was auf'd).

Agree that Tim should have saved his save. Fade's work was really beginning to grow on me; IMO his pieces have the kind of sophistication and chic that would be at home in places like Saks or Bergdorf. Char is a sweetheart but she hasn't made anything noteworthy since week 1, sorry to say. I don't understand why Tim used the save on her

My bottom line: getting excited about PR is becoming a real...er...challenge for me. :slink:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hey skatedreamer, no need to hide. Many many of us are feeling the same away about Project Goaway. I mean Product Runway. I mean Sponsorship Rainway. Oh you know what I mean--that informercial show that occasionally features clothing design. Even Tom & Lorenzo ripped the show a new one. And it is FULLY deserved.

I think if Sean had put in another line of dye it would have been more amazing. Avant garde doesn't necessarily have only to do with silhouette. I'd say that technique certainly qualifies as avant garde. I like Kini, but he's very derivative. That top half was superbly constructed, but fiercely Christan Siriano, etc. He's a genius at construction problem-solving. Actually I think Sean & Kini should seriously consider working together on a line. They have complementary talents.

Sorry to see fade go, but really he's this season's Patricia: wonderful textile design, but relatively unsophisticated clothing design. Still, Tim should have saved his save for him and not wasted it on Char (funny and warm and A Lovely Human Being she may be).

I had to laugh my head off about Heidi pretending she actually knows ANYTHING about the NY subway system.

louisa05

Final Flight
Hey skatedreamer, no need to hide. Many many of us are feeling the same away about Project Goaway. I mean Product Runway. I mean Sponsorship Rainway. Oh you know what I mean--that informercial show that occasionally features clothing design. Even Tom & Lorenzo ripped the show a new one. And it is FULLY deserved.

I think if Sean had put in another line of dye it would have been more amazing. Avant garde doesn't necessarily have only to do with silhouette. I'd say that technique certainly qualifies as avant garde. I like Kini, but he's very derivative. That top half was superbly constructed, but fiercely Christan Siriano, etc. He's a genius at construction problem-solving. Actually I think Sean & Kini should seriously consider working together on a line. They have complementary talents.

Sorry to see fade go, but really he's this season's Patricia: wonderful textile design, but relatively unsophisticated clothing design. Still, Tim should have saved his save for him and not wasted it on Char (funny and warm and A Lovely Human Being she may be).

I had to laugh my head off about Heidi pretending she actually knows ANYTHING about the NY subway system.

Heidi was not born famous. When she first began modeling in the U.S. in her early 20s, she lived in NYC and struggled to get jobs for quite some time before she got Victoria's Secret and made it big. I bet she used the subways regularly then.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Heidi was not born famous. When she first began modeling in the U.S. in her early 20s, she lived in NYC and struggled to get jobs for quite some time before she got Victoria's Secret and made it big. I bet she used the subways regularly then.

I stand corrected (well actually I sit corrected because it was a busy day of chores). :)

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Sean had put in another line of dye it would have been more amazing.

To be real honest here, I didn't see anything amazing about the dress or the dye, I felt that it was gimmicky - if that's a word. Don't get me wrong, I thought is was a nice surprise but to use the word "Amazing" was a little too far fetched for me. Would it still be a great dress if it didn't get wet?? I was surprised at the reaction from the judges.

WA said:
Actually I think Sean & Kini should seriously consider working together on a line. They have complementary talents.

That could be a great team as long as Kini got some recognition.

WA said:
Sorry to see fade go, but really he's this season's Patricia: wonderful textile design, but relatively unsophisticated clothing design.

....and most of the other designers designs aren't??? I loved Patricia's designs, not everyone is as good as Amanda, Char, and the rest of the PR designers this season.

I was sorry to see Fade go, I would have loved to see his collection.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Once again, Sandhya is a big *** for me. I felt especially let down this time around because her sketch at the beginning of the episode actually looked promising :scowl:

heyang

Record Breaker
To be real honest here, I didn't see anything amazing about the dress or the dye, I felt that it was gimmicky - if that's a word. Don't get me wrong, I thought is was a nice surprise but to use the word "Amazing" was a little too far fetched for me. Would it still be a great dress if it didn't get wet?? I was surprised at the reaction from the judges.

That could be a great team as long as Kini got some recognition.

....and most of the other designers designs aren't??? I loved Patricia's designs, not everyone is as good as Amanda, Char, and the rest of the PR designers this season.

I was sorry to see Fade go, I would have loved to see his collection.

I agree 100%.

Without the dye, Sean's dress was just a simple white dress. After the rain and the dress dried, it was a pretty color ful dress. The wow was in the moment only.

Most designers are influenced by the work that has come before them.....

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I agree 100%.

Without the dye, Sean's dress was just a simple white dress. After the rain and the dress dried, it was a pretty color ful dress. The wow was in the moment only.

Most designers are influenced by the work that has come before them.....

But avant garde doesn't only have to deal with the silhouette; the idea of a dress itself as a performance piece IS avant garde. Could he have designed a more radical silhouette? Sure. But given the fact they were given a limited time for this and he was trying something that he had no idea would work on not, I don't think it was necessarily a bad idea to go with a simple silhouette. How many designers have been sent home this season for shoddy craftsmanship? Look, it's no Christian/Chris orgy of organza or Jillian's fab coat, but then this has been a pretty mediocre season so far. I thought all in all, the tie was an equitable decision.

Kini should get recognition for having a real talent for solving construction issues. Those gloved sleeves were impeccable. And unfortunately, that kind of ability to solve nitty-gritty issues of construction is never given enough credit: it's not flashy. I just tend to find his actual designs not particularly innovative or interesting. It's like he has ideas that are almost there, but often feel a bit too derivative, like the top half of this very interesting umbrella dress. And again, is it Project Runway or Project Seamstress?

Actually it's Runaway Product Endorsement, but that's another matter entirely... Loved that "spontaneous" gushing over the fridge, boys. :rolleye:

To me, the umbrella dress was the clear winner. The only thing that would have made it better is if the hat were bigger and bolder.

I didn't care so much for the top part of the dye dress. It didn't seem to drape right on the model.