The Ice 2014 - Japan | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The Ice 2014 - Japan

jimeonji

Final Flight
Thanks! I've seen most of the programs from dailymotion (with some hiccups aka black screen/too many adds in the middle of the video, etc) but I understood it is more skating than that...maybe I am wrong
oh, the broadcast is definitely missing Kovtun's programs (which are a few pages back if you haven't watched them) but I'm not sure about other skaters. And at different shows a few skaters did different programs I think? Like Jeremy and Patrick. There are two more broadcasts that should have different stuff: August 3 at 15:00 JST, Chukyo TV (short broadcast); August 17 at 2:00 JST, Chukyo TV (full broadcast).

gotoschool

Medalist
Today's performances (which I still remember):

Honda Miyu: THE ICE is inviting one "star of the future" to perform in each show. Today it was Honda Miyu who opened the individual performances. I am impressed by how fast she grew. I remember a few months back when she visited Plushenko's place and received special training, she was still struggling a bit with 3 Salchow. However today she was doing a 3 Flip, at the age of 10. It will be so interesting to watch her and her elder sister Honda Marin (who is consistently doing 3Lz-3T in ice shows recent months) grow in the next few years.

Miyahara Satoko: Miss Saigon, I agree with previous reply that she is getting more confidence. She landed the difficult jumps and I think she delivered "Miss Saigon" to me.

Murakami Kanako: "Think of Me" from the Phantom of the Opera. Something was wrong with her right skating shoe today. She landed the 2 jumps beautifully, then popped a Salchow. After the popping she figured out something's wrong with her shoe and stopped for a while. But the music went on, so she skated to the music without jumping, but still did the spins. Applause for her.

Gracie Gold: "Let it go", Popped, fell, done. I can tell she must have gained a lot of weight during off-season. But well, let it go.

Adelina Sotnikova: "Je Suis Malade" ("I am sick", Plushenko's 11-12 ex program). Gorgeous 2A, fell on the 3Lz and beautiful 3T (I think it was a T). I really, really like her interpretation. Actually I hated her after what happened in Sochi, but I was stunned by her Swan Lake in Stars on Ice this April and appreciated her a lot more. Today I was stunned again by her performance, really really well delivered. BTW she did the flying camel spin with the extremely difficult position again which I still couldn't figure out how her legs could have done it, if anyone knows which spin I am talking about...

Asada Mao: Same old, same old. I hate to say but I couldn't even remember any details...

Maxim Kovtun: Showing off his sexiness to first row audience all the time... But seriously? 3A then 2A and that's it?

Jeremy Abbott: Latch, nothing new, but clean. Always a pleasure to watch him skate.

Mura Takahito: His new SP but I forgot the name. Tremendous 4T and 3A which made the audience "wow", but fell on the 3Lz. I always cheer for someone who does quads in ice shows, needless to say such a huge 4T. In the grand finale he landed a 3Lz successfully, but judging from the preparation entering the jump and the height and rotation speed he made, I doubt if he was actually trying a 4Lz, which he landed 2-footed in Tomoya FaOI.

Patrick Chan: Standing ovation, twice!! Beautiful Tango with beautifully landed 2A, 3T and 3F, but the skating just made the audience hold their breathe. Especially unlike other typical ex performances, it was full of transitions, highly competitive steps... just a wow. And Elegie together with Jeff was just like a fantasy.

Jeff: Love you, love you, love you XDDDDDDD

D/W: Standing ovation for Scheherazade. I am not an Ice Dance fan at all so I shall not comment, but it was really beautiful.

I appreciate you detailed anaylsis of The Ice. However, your comments about Mao's performance as "same old, same old" suggests that her performance was lackluster here just like her earlier performances have been in the past, which I totally disagree with. This seems quite dismissive and critical of someone who has achieved so much in the sport, especially since it is her show. Were her performances in the LP at Sochi and the World Championships 2014 also the "same old, same old," since these are older performances?
Personally, I thought her performance was full of intricate and artistic steps and magnetic energy, though I would have liked a little more technical content.

The same could be said of Gracie Gold. She's quite talented and she certainly doesn't look big to me. I just wish the efforts of skaters of such high caliber could be shown a little more respect or the criticisms could be a little more diplomatic and thoughtful by mentioning at least some positives, which Asada and Gold have in abundance.

mich2

Match Penalty
@pandaatlarge, thank you so much for your report. I am so glad you enjoyed Adelina. Its even more valuable when this comes from an ex-hater as you used to be, if I understood you right. Its really very important to see skaters LIVE.
Dai was in pink shorts? Really? It must have been really cool! ;)

minze

Medalist
I appreciate you detailed anaylsis of The Ice. However, your comments about Mao's performance as "same old, same old" suggests that her performance was lackluster here just like her earlier performances have been in the past, which I totally disagree with. This seems quite dismissive and critical of someone who has achieved so much in the sport, especially since it is her show. Were her performances in the LP at Sochi and the World Championships 2014 also the "same old, same old," since these are older performances?
Personally, I thought her performance was full of intricate and artistic steps and magnetic energy, though I would have liked a little more technical content.

The same could be said of Gracie Gold. She's quite talented and she certainly doesn't look big to me. I just wish the efforts of skaters of such high caliber could be shown a little more respect or the criticisms could be a little more diplomatic and thoughtful by mentioning at least some positives, which Asada and Gold have in abundance.

I agree very dismissive comment about Mao. Sorry did the others walk on water. Otherwise, everyone does the same in exhibitions.šŸ˜

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I agree very dismissive comment about Mao. Sorry did the others walk on water. Otherwise, everyone does the same in exhibitions.šŸ˜

I get where the poster is coming from. Is does seem to me that her exhbitions from last year and TLLOM are very similar in the mood.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Well, it's not like pandaatlarge downright insulted Mao's honor or something. It was an opinion--they didn't feel particularly excited about her performance. What's wrong with that? It's not an "insult" you should take personally because someone didn't feel particularly affected by Mao's skating... :think:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie could use a few pounds put on since she was much skinnier last season then just the year before. Guaranteed Frank will get her in shape by the start of the season. I don't think she's really done much work for next season yet and it's almost August but i think she even said after how stressful last season was with getting a new coach and the Olympics so she's going to enjoy herself more this summer.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Gracie could use a few pounds put on since she was much skinnier last season then just the year before. Guaranteed Frank will get her in shape by the start of the season. I don't think she's really done much work for next season yet and it's almost August but i think she even said after how stressful last season was with getting a new coach and the Olympics so she's going to enjoy herself more this summer.

She didĀ“t look that much bigger to me.

minze

Medalist
Well, it's not like pandaatlarge downright insulted Mao's honor or something. It was an opinion--they didn't feel particularly excited about her performance. What's wrong with that? It's not an "insult" you should take personally because someone didn't feel particularly affected by Mao's skating... :think:

Ouch!!! Look at this way, I gave my opinion of her comment. I never said she insulted MaošŸ˜Ÿ.

minze

Medalist
I get where the poster is coming from. Is does seem to me that her exhbitions from last year and TLLOM are very similar in the mood.

Really? I dont see how Smile is the same mood as a gospel song. She did an exhibition with her signature moves and spins like all skaters do.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I watched a performance of This Little Light of Mine on dailymotion and I thought Mao looked fine. I prefer to see her skate to things like Ballade and Jupiter BUT I think choosing to skate to TLLOM is great b/c it seems to reflect where she is in her life. After the disappointment of Sochi it's great to see that she appears to be in a good place (I'm sure that 3rd world title helped ;)). I love seeing happy, vibrant, fun Mao. I enjoyed her performance. Is it anything amazingly special? IMO, no. But I still thought it was a lively and fun performance.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Really? I dont see how Smile is the same mood as a gospel song. She did an exhibition with her signature moves and spins like all skaters do.

Both try to said the same thing. She is happy, and thatĀ“s fine. But we are talking about programs and if a poster doesnĀ“t like a program and thinks is the same, and I agree, not seeing any disrespect.

TLLOM even if it is original was a gospel, the interpretation here is that she is happy where she is now, same as Smile, so as the poster said "same old, same old"

minze

Medalist
Both try to said the same thing. She is happy, and thatĀ“s fine. But we are talking about programs and if a poster doesnĀ“t like a program and thinks is the same, and I agree, not seeing any disrespect.

TLLOM even if it is original was a gospel, the interpretation here is that she is happy where she is now, same as Smile, so as the poster said "same old, same old"

I found the comment dissmissive JMO... The poster can like what and whoever they want, and I have the right to comment about his or her review. Right? I never claimed disrespect.

Barb

Record Breaker
Gracie, Adelina, Ashley and the most of the women never have great ex, but Mao has several memorables ex, so is logical people have high expectations with her.

mich2

Match Penalty
Gracie, Adelina, Ashley and the most of the women never have great ex, but Mao has several memorables ex, so is logical people have high expectations with her.
I actually find both Adelina' LO EX rather great.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I actually find both Adelina' LO EX rather great.

I find Adelina and Ashley to be memorable. Both are excellent performers and know how to play to a crowd. I really liked Adelina's Black Swan ex from 2011 and her Hernando's Hideaway from 2012; I also like her Swan Lake Ex this season too. Ashley has had some nice exhibitions too. I really liked her Young and Beautiful Ex from last season.

I don't really find Gracie's exhibitions all that memorable but she's not really that great of a performer yet.

gotoschool

Medalist

The reason I said the comment was dismissive is because the poster didn't even mention Smile or exhibitions at all in the comments. It seemed to be a general assessment of Mao's skating, exhibitions or otherwise. The last exhibition I saw Mao skate to on youtube was Chopin's Ballade from Dennis Ten and Friends, which was certainly far different in mood and execution. Precision in description is significant otherwise the meaning of a person's assertion is ambiguous and subject to a multitude of interpretations. I do think you are correct in that the poster has every right to state what he or she wishes, just as anyone else has the right to state a contradictory opinion.

thoakun

Final Flight
I have the same opinion with pandaatlarge after watching The Ice broadcast on Fuji TV. Satoko is a revelation for me (I never liked any version of Miss Saigon before). I was also pleasantly surprised by Adelina. I was on the fence about Adelina before Sochi, disliked a bit her after Sochi but now she has proven that she's an interesting performer. She may not be the graceful ballerina type but she has big jumps, amazing flexibility and the ability to sell her programs and draw in the crowds, even when they're not really great choreographically. I get the flying camel spin you referred to. I love it but I can't figure out how she could have done that either :p.

I'm a Mao fan but I agree with your opinion of Mao's ex. I don't see anything dismissive about your "same old, same old" comment. It's nice to see her feeling great and enjoying herself on the ice but choreographically, that program is unmemorable. Lori is running out of ideas for Mao's programs, but I wish Mao would be more adventurous and branch out to other choreographers who can bring out other sides of her. Aside from Ballade and Jupiter, I also like her Por Una Cabeza and Caprice and I believe there're more in the tank than what we're seeing.

Patrick's tango and Elegie with Jeff and D/Ws Scheherazade were the highlight of the whole show for me. I only watched the clips on Dailymotion and their performances really took my breath away and they were simply at a different level. I can't imagine how breathtaking they would look if I watch them live.

Is Miyu Honda the child actress? If she takes a break from acting and focus solely on skating, I believe her skills would advance much faster.[/QUOTE]

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
To those who find my "same old, same old" comment dismissive or lack of respect, you have every right to think so, but I don't agree. Do I not respect Mao or Gracie? I don't think so. But was I disappointed by their performances in THE ICE on Sunday? Yes. And I echo chapis's opinion of "expectation" - After the Worlds this is the 5th time I watched Mao's EX live, I was really expecting something new and special, especially being the de facto curator of THE ICE, and she won't compete in the new season. However, at least TO ME, I didn't find anything amazingly special, not necessarily new and "wow", and I really expected to see something more technical. So like I said in my previous post, I hate to say so but I couldn't remember any details. The performance didn't meet MY expectation, so I was not really impressed by THIS ONE. It is totally fine if someone disagrees with my opinion, and I am also glad that someone enjoy the program much better than me.

Similar to my comment to Gracie. I think she has great potential, and since this is the first time I watched her EX live (I watched her competition before, though) I also had certain expectation. But she didn't do well at all technically on Sunday, and didn't really connect to the audience (at least TO ME), so I was disappointed as well. I kind of doubted if she is prepared entering the new season. So again, it is about my expectation.

And to answer gotoschool's question ā€œWere her performances in the LP at Sochi and the World Championships 2014 also the "same old, same old," since these are older performances? ā€ No, her Sochi LP was legendary and her Worlds SP was extraordinary (I was one of the standing ovation audience in Saitama). But I don't think this has anything to do with how I view her performance on Sunday. Or if it has anything to do, it only set my expectation higher. It seems TO ME, being one of the best single skaters in the world, if not the best, Mao's EX programs don't always match the same level of her competition programs. I am not saying she needs to do a 3A or level 4 steps, but the impressiveness (to me) of her EX programs is not always the top level, and that's where the disappointment came from.

If I may compare, although someone might disagree with this comparison, being one of the best single skaters in the world, if not the best, and not competing in the new season either, Patrick's Tango at the same day was one of the greatest EX I've seen this year, totally exceeding my expectation even towards a 3 times world champion. Not to mention how Adelina's Swan Lake and Je Suis Malade totally changed my negative thoughts about her. So I would really wish Mao's EX could be more special and memorable. If someone finds it dismissive, well then, I guess everyone can have his or her opinion which the others don't have to agree with.