Ina Bauer move | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ina Bauer move

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It seems unfair to have someone as brilliantly skilled skater like Patrick Chan's name only became known for the term 'inflation' rather than something uniquely Chan like move in this sport.

inflation is just a term invented by bitter, jealous Internet haters, and it's not how the vast majority of the skating world defines Chan or his skating. ;)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
For men, John Curry and Paul Wylie have the greatest classic Ina Bauers IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xojrWqgEcCw#t=192

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1ucqEJTiY#t=135

Curry & Wylie are 2 of my all-time favorites but in terms of Ina Bauers, I think Yuzu wins. Only for IB's, though -- otherwise, John & Paul forever! :love: (Sheesh, is this about skating or the Beatles? :laugh:)

What did knock me out in Wylie's "JFK" program was the long spread eagle sequence @ the end. When it comes to spread eagles, I always think of Brian B, but this was really wonderful. Wow!

jcoates

Medalist
Both Wylie and Curry had fabulous spread eagles, but you are right that Boitano's is most often remembered. What made all three so good was both the stretched legs and particularly the unbroken body line ( upper body, hips and lower body all in line with each other) with no rear end sticking out, but riding on long deep outside or inside edges.

Isabel_O'Reilly

Final Flight
Caroline actually coined the term "pearl spin". As for other moves recently named after skaters, there's the "Rippon Lutz" now (2 arms over the head instead of one, which would be the 'Tano Lutz, named after Brian Boitano). Have you seen Courtney Hicks' spin? I think she dubbed it the "Twicks" spin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0dBZnxfcs

Courtney's spin is really kind of cool.

Also going to echo those saying Yulia's Ina Bauer in SL is very evocative; it's adds to the feeling she weaves during that skate.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Ina Bauers are some of my favourite figure skating moves. :love: Even though it's just named after its inventor, something about the elegance of the move fits with the elegance of the name.

For women, the best is of course Shizuka Arakawa. For men, though I credit Yuzu for having a great one, I gotta give it to Paul Wylie. Even though he wasn't as flexible as Yuzuru and didn't have the same lanky frame to make those lines, his Ina Bauer just had character.

Alba

Record Breaker
I'm probably alone in this but for some reasons I do not like men doing an Ina Bauer. :slink:

I've never seen an IB by Tai/Randy & would love to -- can you post a link? Thanks!

Below is a very smudgy (obviously taped off of a pre-cable TV) but splendid pas de quatre with Tai and Randy skating with Ken Shelley and JoJo Starbuck, another American pair also coached by John Nicks. They do a four-person Ina Bauer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6l8d3FLWVA

If I'm not mistaken, the British voice sharing commentary duties is John Curry himself.

Yippee! I found a clearer version, about six years later, of the same program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU_NdqwdOuA

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Caroline actually coined the term "pearl spin". As for other moves recently named after skaters, there's the "Rippon Lutz" now (2 arms over the head instead of one, which would be the 'Tano Lutz, named after Brian Boitano). Have you seen Courtney Hicks' spin? I think she dubbed it the "Twicks" spin. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA0dBZnxfcs
Hah for some reason twicks seems to be a very fitting word for that kind of pretzel-ey position!!!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
^^ Yippee X 4 -- Olympia, you made my day. Thanks so much! :points:

The Ina Bauer was wonderful but the 4-person death spiral and the throw jumps in sync just about had me turning cartwheels. Even more amazing considering that, according to the commentary, they put the program together in around 2 hours. :jaw:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm probably alone in this but for some reasons I do not like men doing an Ina Bauer. :slink:

Nope, you have company. I don't like them so much for the guys, either, but some of the links posted upthread (Yuzu, John Curry, Paul Wylie) are quite wonderful. They're making a convert out of me! :biggrin:

Alba

Record Breaker
Nope, you have company. I don't like them so much for the guys, either, but some of the links posted upthread (Yuzu, John Curry, Paul Wylie) are quite wonderful. They're making a convert out of me! :biggrin:

Good. I feel less alone. :biggrin:
They are really good, no doubt about that. Just my think I guess: men and Ina Bauer. :rolleye::biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh wow. Prior to this I thought the Ina Bauer was a basic move that all skaters could do. What's Asada from doing it? Hip turnout?

Um, there's someone who's never skated... *rubs hips gingerly*

It may be on several Learn to Skate programs tests at the higher levels, but it is by no means a "basic" move. At all. Ever.

It's possible that Mao doesn't have the turnout to achieve it. Not everyone does, you know.

Really? I prefer it! I dislike the insane layback positions.

One of the best moments of Joshua's Schindler's List last season was the spreadeagle into Ina Bauer with the beautiful arm and back position. Just utterly superior.

Though I noticed in the first outing of Tristan and Iseult Jason is starting to lay back in his...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Below is a very smudgy (obviously taped off of a pre-cable TV) but splendid pas de quatre with Tai and Randy skating with Ken Shelley and JoJo Starbuck, another American pair also coached by John Nicks. They do a four-person Ina Bauer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6l8d3FLWVA

If I'm not mistaken, the British voice sharing commentary duties is John Curry himself.

Yippee! I found a clearer version, about six years later, of the same program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU_NdqwdOuA

Ken Shelley and JoJo Starbuck: I forgot all about them! and I had never seen this ... way cool. Thanks:thumbsup:

Icey

Record Breaker
I think it is possible: I would like to see a skater grab the rear ankle with one or both hands while in lay back position of the bauer.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Um, there's someone who's never skated... *rubs hips gingerly*

It may be on several Learn to Skate programs tests at the higher levels, but it is by no means a "basic" move. At all. Ever.

It's possible that Mao doesn't have the turnout to achieve it. Not everyone does, you know.

I meant a basic move for all elite skaters. At that level, they all have crazy physical strengths so I assumed they all worked at hip turnout the way they work at their flexibility.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I meant a basic move for all elite skaters. At that level, they all have crazy physical strengths so I assumed they all worked at hip turnout the way they work at their flexibility.

You cannot "work at" your hip turnout. You have the turnout you were born with. There will always be some skaters who won't be able to do the Ina Bauer (or outside spreadeagle) simply because their hips don't work that way!

Ah, I found theIna Bauer moment in Joshua's Schindler's List that I love so much. Of course, his gorgeous skid spiral is even better, but this was pretty lovely too.

jcoates

Medalist
First of all, thanks Olympia for the fabulous link to Tai and Randy and JoJo and Ken. They are ideal examples of that can happen when pairs teams stick together and with the same quality coach consistently.

Regarding men and Ina Bauers, I get some of people's discomfort. I see it as similar to people's feelings about laybacks and Beillmanns. There are good to acceptable male versions of both spins (Galindo, Petrenko, Rippon, Hanyu, Brown, etc). I think that's because too many boys are not taught that they can be both masculine and graceful. Until recently, flexibility was also not much of an emphasis. However, I thinks it is possible to meet display both qualities.

IB is a move that has to be done with conviction and commitment to be really effective musically. Hanyu, Wylie and Curry all do this.

As for turn out, it's true that many top skaters have not performed either IB's or spread eagles regularly. Slutskaya is good example.