Lyrics in programs: Yay or Nay? Now the Season is Over | Golden Skate

Lyrics in programs: Yay or Nay? Now the Season is Over

feldmand

Spectator
I was at the Philadelphia Summer Competition this past weekend. I saw three programs that used lyrics including Ross Miner's long program. I personally found the lyrics to be distracting. I, at times, was listening to the words rather than focusing on the skating. I also found it interesting that out of all the senior ladies short and long programs and all the men's long programs, only 3 used music with lyrics out of approx. 60 programs. I wonder if skaters are holding off using lyrics until they see how it is received.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am nervous about this, too. Last year Chock and Bates' vocal music kind of overwhelmed the skating, although I got used to it a little bit by the end of the season.

Another potential problem is that the acoustics in some areas might not be good enough to support the vocals.

Icey

Record Breaker
Concerned, here. Certainly will take awhile for me to get used to . The lyrics will probably give some skaters more of an appearance that they are interpreting the music (even if they aren't lol)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm with Mathman & Icey. I think in some cases vocals could be a great thing, but I fear most could result in an illusion of artistry or having the skate be completely overshadowed by the lyrics. I think less will be more in this case. And more will be overbearingly much :no:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Agree w/ Mathman, Icey & satine94. To some extent it may depend on the piece itself -- some lyrics can be more distracting than others, depending on the singer/performance. I especially like satine's point re: "illusion of artistry." And no matter how beautiful the piece, if an arena's sound system isn't good, it can distort the lyrics (and the music itself) and otherwise ruin the effect.

That's a good point about mimicking artistry. Skaters will be tempted to act out the words instead of matching their movement to the musical phrasing.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I've spoken to skaters and they've told me that lyrics can not only be distracting to the audience but to the skater themselves too. Like if you had Whitney Houston singing one of her amazing climaxes I'd imagine it'd be quite distracting. And the point about how the arena's sound system is a good one, it's like how some pieces in the past have grated my ears due to scratchy violins.

Alba

Record Breaker
I am nervous about this, too. Last year Chock and Bates' vocal music kind of overwhelmed the skating, although I got used to it a little bit by the end of the season.

Another potential problem is that the acoustics in some areas might not be good enough to support the vocals.

This. :thumbsup:

In general I'm for nay, but you never know. It's good the skaters have the freedom to choose though.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Vocal music in theory is no more or less trite than instrumental music. It depends what selections they choose.

I am concerned about choices that draw more attention to the singer than to the skater.

Taking the option to use a few lines of vocals in several minutes worth of mostly-instrumental program will likely be the most successful approach.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still think there is a case for Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah" to be used or something like Stevie Wonder's "They Won't Go When I Go". If your not familiar with that song I strongly suggest you give it a listen. http://vimeo.com/m/26409110

The thing is some songs use the voice more as an instrument and instead capture a mood and have a way of connecting to something you are experiencing as opposed to drawing attention to the singer. I think these two selections with creative editing could be very successful songs to mold a program around.

That said I share concern that some skaters may wind up taking us to the land of "corn" and "cheese" or worse yet....as pointed out above....a land of confusion and distraction for the audience. We'll know soon enough right.

makaihime

Final Flight
I'm leaning towards Nay. I don't mind partial lyrics and I enjoy those who include background choruses but the entire piece with vocals? Eh` :eek:hwell: Maybe once the season starts my feelings about it will change.

vlaurend

Final Flight
If I were a skater I would try opera. A whole new round of Nessun Dorme's and Carmen's. :rock:

That's what I'm skating to for the 2014-15 season. It's classical, the voice is used as an instrument, and the lyrics are not in English. The benefit of opera is that it broadens the repertoire of classical music skaters can skate to without the words having to be a distraction (unless you're Italian, LOL). I'm really excited to be skating to the piece I chose because--thanks to the previous ban on lyrics and the lack of any decent instrumental version of it--it has never been skated to before.

jace93

On the Ice
I think it actually depends on the program... I can't seem to be able to find the link but Fernandez's new short has lyrics in it, but they enforce the rhythm and fill voids in the melody rather then being distracting IMO...

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I'm all for it. Some of the best contemporary dances have lyrics, and dancers have been able to cope with both the musical phrasing and the meaning of the words.

I mean, just take a look at any Mia Michaels piece on SYTYCD...

Tarpic2

Spectator
BTW, Virtue/Moir exhibition program to Buckley's "Hallelujah" is gorgeous. (I know that this thread is about competitive programs.)
Not seen it myself, I like their skating, maybe others will have been inspired & next season there'll be a dozen "Hallelujah"s on to compare.
Not trying to say lyrics can't work with skating, just that the overall effect could be reductive given how from the outside many coaches & skaters choices (>judges) can seem stale/ from narrow pickings - being treated to unexpected, apt vocal pieces would be nice...my money's Disney/ Celine Dion/ Adele or cheesy pop men singing in falsetto sort of stuff being used.
Jason Brown used that Prince tune to great effect I thought, 10 other skaters thinking 'it's OK to skate to that track now (unless you want it heard on Youtube..but anyway), I will then..' doesn't seem a good outcome to me, more that in the same vein people should be able to/ rewarded for choosing less sterile stuff.
(Have a stand alone warhorse competition so folks can get their fix elsewhere;)

vlaurend

Final Flight
Not seen it myself, I like their skating, maybe others will have been inspired & next season there'll be a dozen "Hallelujah"s on to compare.
Ugh! "Hallelujah" needs to be retired already! It is the "Carmen" of exhibition/showcase skating.