Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Biellmann Spin

Hybrid View

The Biellmann Spin

Denise Biellmann (SUI) popularized the "Biellmann spin"—an upright figure skating spin in which the skater executes a one-foot spin while holding the other foot extended over and behind the head. According to Wiki, it was present in skating at least since the 1965 European Championships when Tamara Moskvina performed it.

Who does your favorite Biellmann spin?

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Biellmann herself.

Banned
    I would say Yulia since she can do it perfectly vertical.

Ice is slippery.
    I absolutely love those who can form a tear drop shape. I think that's the most important characteristic in a Biellmann

So beautiful

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by makaihime View Post
    I absolutely love those who can form a tear drop shape. I think that's the most important characteristic in a Biellmann

So beautiful
    I second to that. Also like Biellmann's, I like skaters who can keep skating leg straight. Many of them have their knees bend. Not so pretty to look at.

My favourite are Mao and Radionova. But Mirai's Layback combination is amazing. At least her body changed didn't effect her spins. Surprisingly Ashley has a pretty Biellman.

Custom Title
    Probably Biellmann herself, so beautiful but I also really love Mirai Nagasu's, it's very well done and I love how she doesn't lose speed

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by YLFan View Post
    I would say Yulia since she can do it perfectly vertical.
    I never stop being in awe of Yulia's version of the Biellmann spin. It's like watching rhythmic gymnasts performing on the ice. The spin should be named after her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by thoakun View Post
    I never stop being in awe of Yulia's version of the Biellmann spin. It's like watching rhythmic gymnasts performing on the ice. The spin should be named after her.
    A person in another thread said people have been calling it the "lipa" but I personally just call it a Yulia spin because lipa is a little too close to lip for me

Rinkside
    Yulia did not invent this spin.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thoakun View Post
    I personally love JuLiip's because of her flexibility. When I started skating my goal was exactly that spin, even before she was born. She must be missing a vertebra or two because no matter how diligently I stretched I was no where close to the split Biellmann. There are far too many gorgeous Biellmans to choose from now. Caroline Zhang and Nagasu are tops in my book. JuLip's should have another name. It's insane.

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I personally love JuLiip's because of her flexibility. When I started skating my goal was exactly that spin, even before she was born. She must be missing a vertebra or two because no matter how diligently I stretched I was no where close to the split Biellmann. There are far too many gorgeous Biellmans to choose from now. Caroline Zhang and Nagasu are tops in my book. JuLip's should have another name. It's insane.
    it's unreal

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    I'm probably a minority of one here but TBH, I think Bielmanns are unattractive no matter how well they're done. I appreciate the flexibility and skill needed to execute them -- just don't like 'em. Please don't throw things...

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    Biellmann herself.
    This!!! http://youtu.be/x1_QiK85KRg (4:35 mark)

Lets not forget Nathalie Kreig!!! This discussion would not be complete without her mentioned. Check out the 3:00 mark and at 4:08 :

http://youtu.be/B9dsRFarP1A

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    I'd say Mao has my favorite classic Biellmann position. I say classic because the free leg isn't over-extended nor is the back position too extreme. She gets a really beautiful classic teardrop position.

I think Mirai and Elena Radionova have really beautiful hyper-extended Biellmanns. They both achieve a more vertical position with the free leg as well as an extreme bend in their back...they basically put their head on their butt in the spin. Insane flexibility!!
    Mirai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns0mCEtuMM#t=162
    Elena: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCenVg-QIZk#t=207

Not to be outdone in the insane flexibility department, then there's Julia. I don't even consider this spin a Biellmann because unlike in the Biellmann where both hands are gripping the boot of the free leg, Julia grips her shin and pulls it straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdsHy2X7QGY#t=178. I usually call it a needle spin because it's like the needle they do in dance. Like Julia's position the free leg is extended straight and the leg is held with both hands. What makes Julia's spins so impressive is the fact that she doesn't lose speed as she transitions up into it, but actually gains speed. I've seen other needle spins but hers is by far the most impressive, even though I don't always find it that attractive. She definitely wasn't the first to do it but she is popularizing it (for those fortunate enough to be that flexible) and she does it best.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Lets not forget Nathalie Kreig!!!
    Never! Krieg was AWESOME! Her speed and centering were redonkulous as were her positions. I really want to see someone do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFJR2mBdKA#t=119. It's like a compressed Biellmann...it's still a version of it but it's something a little different than what we see now.

On the Ice
    Back to Biellmann from Butt spins. I also think that Ashley has a very good Biellmann spin.

My favorite is Mao, with both her classic teardrop position and her one handed Biellmann. I also like Irina's, Mirai's and Adelina's Biellmanns.

As many have said, I would add Julia, but her spins are in a league of their own. That girl has amazing flexibility.

I agree that the skating leg should be straight. I much more prefer that non flexible girls don't do Biellmanns, because they can't get good positions. Other variations can look so much better for them. Yes, one of my favorite skaters Yuna is in this group. I never liked her Biellmann position, it looked too laboured.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast