The Biellmann Spin | Golden Skate

The Biellmann Spin

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Denise Biellmann (SUI) popularized the Biellmann spin—an upright figure skating spin in which the skater executes a one-foot spin while holding the other foot extended over and behind the head.

Denise Biellmann.jpg

It should be noted that
Tamara Moskvina may have been the first to perform it in competition at the 1965 European Championships.

Who does your favorite Biellmann spin?

Last edited:

thoakun

Final Flight
I would say Yulia since she can do it perfectly vertical.
I never stop being in awe of Yulia's version of the Biellmann spin. It's like watching rhythmic gymnasts performing on the ice. The spin should be named after her.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I never stop being in awe of Yulia's version of the Biellmann spin. It's like watching rhythmic gymnasts performing on the ice. The spin should be named after her.

A person in another thread said people have been calling it the "lipa" but I personally just call it a Yulia spin because lipa is a little too close to lip for me

Krunchii

Record Breaker
You're right she didn't, but it's one of the things she's known for, Yuna didn't invent the Yuna camel but it's referred to colloquially by that name, there's nothing wrong with coining a term for Yulia too

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't Yulia's vertical spin being discussed actually a candle spin? Her Beilman is part of her exit from the flying camel spin right? Are Beilmans and Candles the same. Don't you have to hold the blade on a bielman?

thoakun

Final Flight
Yulia did not invent this spin.

I know that Yulia didn't not invent this spin, but it's undeniable that she helps popularizing it. There's the Caroline spin, but it's very possible that someone invented it way before she was born. It's hard to trace who was the first one to do a certain element, but the one who performs it regularly in A-level competitions, making it well-known to the audiences often gets noticed and is credited with it.

noskates

Record Breaker
I loathe this spin. I think it's ugly - no matter who does it!!!! And any variation of it. :disapp:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For sure, Julia's Biellmann variation is the most breathtaking. However, I love the shape of Radionova's Biellmann, and of course Miss Biellmann herself does it amazingly. Lucinda Ruh (obviously) has a nice one as well. Czisny gets fantastic speed and centering on hers too.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I would say Biellmann herself did it best. ;) But Mao's is also very nice.

Yulia's is insane but I can't compare it to the other Biellmanns. It's basically its own spin.

Imagine

Medalist
If Yulia's is an actual Biellmann then yes, I like hers the best...otherwise I'd say Asada Mao/Sotnikova's one handed versions...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If we're adding one-handed Biellmanns, I really love Jason Brown's. It's one of the few "8-revolution" spin positions I can stand to watch.