The Biellmann Spin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Biellmann Spin

TheCzar

On the Ice
I'd say Asada's single-handed Biellmann in Bells of Moscow. It's probably one of the more impactful ones I've seen. Apart from that, I don't find Yulia's aesthetically pleasing at all. I LOVE Mirai's as well. Denise's is obviously a given. It's become a bit of a diamond dozen these days and they're all pretty meh.

I will say I like a Biellmann that has speed and a pleasing tear-drop shape. A beautiful arched back is also a must.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think I'm one of the only few people who don't find Julia's biellmann spin pretty. Impressive, yes. Pretty, no.

Off the top of my head, I liked Radionova's from GPF. I like Mao's too, whether it be the classic kind, with one hand or the half-biellman.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Polina has a nice Beillman too:)

Radinova probably has the best one of any current skater.

desertskates

Medalist
Most definitely Mirai, imo. One thing that ruins this spin for me with a lot of skaters is the loss of speed, but not her at all. It's gorgeous.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Most definitely Mirai, imo. One thing that ruins this spin for me with a lot of skaters is the loss of speed, but not her at all. It's gorgeous.

Yeah, the loss of speed and also wrenching the foot above their head in order to get the level. I also prefer both hands on the blade (unless of course it's Julia's).

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I never stop being in awe of Yulia's version of the Biellmann spin. It's like watching rhythmic gymnasts performing on the ice. The spin should be named after her.

I personally love JuLiip's because of her flexibility. When I started skating my goal was exactly that spin, even before she was born. She must be missing a vertebra or two because no matter how diligently I stretched I was no where close to the split Biellmann. There are far too many gorgeous Biellmans to choose from now. Caroline Zhang and Nagasu are tops in my book. JuLip's should have another name. It's insane.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I personally love JuLiip's because of her flexibility. When I started skating my goal was exactly that spin, even before she was born. She must be missing a vertebra or two because no matter how diligently I stretched I was no where close to the split Biellmann. There are far too many gorgeous Biellmans to choose from now. Caroline Zhang and Nagasu are tops in my book. JuLip's should have another name. It's insane.

:thumbsup: it's unreal :clap:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm probably a minority of one here but TBH, I think Bielmanns are unattractive no matter how well they're done. I appreciate the flexibility and skill needed to execute them -- just don't like 'em. Please don't throw things... :slink:

noskates

Record Breaker
Thank you Skatedreamer. I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I, too, appreciate the flexibility, etc. but I just think it's an ugly position for anyone to be in.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I'm probably a minority of one here but TBH, I think Bielmanns are unattractive no matter how well they're done. I appreciate the flexibility and skill needed to execute them -- just don't like 'em. Please don't throw things... :slink:

It's okay, skatedreamer. There are plenty of spins I don't like ;)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Yeah, when it first appeared (I can't remember who it was..) wasn't it referred to as a butt spin for some time? :laugh:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Appreciate the support on Bielmanns, guys. Much thanks! :love:

Agree re: the A-spin. It's not just that it isn't pretty -- it's also just kind of meh, which is worse. Whatever else Bielmanns are, they ain't boring! :biggrin:

Just took a look @ the pic of Oda. Oh dear. Not exactly his best angle, is it?

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'd say Mao has my favorite classic Biellmann position. I say classic because the free leg isn't over-extended nor is the back position too extreme. She gets a really beautiful classic teardrop position.

I think Mirai and Elena Radionova have really beautiful hyper-extended Biellmanns. They both achieve a more vertical position with the free leg as well as an extreme bend in their back...they basically put their head on their butt in the spin. Insane flexibility!!
Mirai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ns0mCEtuMM#t=162
Elena: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCenVg-QIZk#t=207

Not to be outdone in the insane flexibility department, then there's Julia. I don't even consider this spin a Biellmann because unlike in the Biellmann where both hands are gripping the boot of the free leg, Julia grips her shin and pulls it straight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdsHy2X7QGY#t=178. I usually call it a needle spin because it's like the needle they do in dance. Like Julia's position the free leg is extended straight and the leg is held with both hands. What makes Julia's spins so impressive is the fact that she doesn't lose speed as she transitions up into it, but actually gains speed. I've seen other needle spins but hers is by far the most impressive, even though I don't always find it that attractive. She definitely wasn't the first to do it but she is popularizing it (for those fortunate enough to be that flexible) and she does it best.

Lets not forget Nathalie Kreig!!!

Never! Krieg was AWESOME! Her speed and centering were redonkulous as were her positions. I really want to see someone do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCFJR2mBdKA#t=119. It's like a compressed Biellmann...it's still a version of it but it's something a little different than what we see now.