The Biellmann Spin | Page 6 | Golden Skate

The Biellmann Spin

mnm464

On the Ice
Personally, I have a mixed feeling for the Biellman because I have re-occuring back issues from trying to learn it, but if anyone did it best I think Mao Asada and Yuna Kim. Yulia-if you want to pick the most flexible. Credit to Yuzuru for trying it, too.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
I forgot if she was mentioned in this thread already, but Lucinda Ruh had great amazing spins as well, including the Biellman position.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I think I'm one of the only few people who don't find Julia's biellmann spin pretty. Impressive, yes. Pretty, no.

Off the top of my head, I liked Radionova's from GPF. I like Mao's too, whether it be the classic kind, with one hand or the half-biellman.

I thought I was the only one to not find Lipnitskaya's Biellmann/Candle spin nice to look at. Maybe it's just a personal aesthetic thing but I don't like it, although I see why others would.

As for Biellmanns I do like, Mao and Elena from the current crop and I always liked Slutskaya's double Biellmann.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought I was the only one to not find Lipnitskaya's Biellmann/Candle spin nice to look at. Maybe it's just a personal aesthetic thing but I don't like it, although I see why others would.

Far from it. People have been very vocal about their distaste for Julia and her spins ever since I can remember. Going into Sochi people around here called her gumby or the girl who puts her leg over her head. I'd say the only reason I began posting was because of all the negativity people were putting out in regards to her.

I've never tried to convince people to like her or her spins. To me it's their loss. I have made several pleas for respect. Not that I'm calling you out or anything....this is just for the sake of discussion. :)

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Far from it. People have been very vocal about their distaste for Julia and her spins ever since I can remember. Going into Sochi people around here called her gumby or the girl who puts her leg over her head. I'd say the only reason I began posting was because of all the negativity people were putting out in regards to her.

I've never tried to convince people to like her or her spins. To me it's their loss. I have made several pleas for respect. Not that I'm calling you out mind you....this is just for the sake of discussion. :)

That's cool. People shouldn't need to be convinced to like something but nor should it be considered someone's loss if they don't like it - I'm sure I like things that others don't in skating so it all balances out. As long as the distaste for an aspect of someone's skating doesn't get personally insulting, all is good! :thumbsup:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My peeve is the "look at how much I feel this music" thing that some skaters do. That's about the most I've ever posted on that. Fortunately and for the purpose of this thread....that would be pretty tough to do while performing a Biellman :laugh:

paperhearts

Final Flight
I love Adelina's, Radionova's, and Mao's! Glorious. Also Irina's and of course Denise Biellmann herself. There's been a lot of discussion about Yulia's spin being a needle/Biellmann but if it qualifies as a Biellmann, it's also one of my favorites. Also I'll pretend Mao and Yulia's half-Biellmanns are real Biellmanns, so also those two. :biggrin: Maybe it's because I haven't been a fan as long as some of you, but I really really like Biellmanns. It's one of my favorite spin positions (next to Yuna's camel.) :love:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Yulia is in the league of her own - of course, she could replicate any position of any skater with ease - then it is just funny to see the critique of her especially when alternative lists contain just non-Russian names. Other 2 best Bielmans now are from Elena and Adelina.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Lipniskaia is the best spinner ever, in terms of flexibility. She's above Cohen, Czisny, Asada, etc.

I also love Zijun Li's spins.

witcher

Match Penalty
Julia Lipnitskaya is Michael Jordan of spins, there will be no spinner like her in near future.
Phenomenal physical specimen and hard worker since childhood (she said once "three days without stretching and all [flexibility] is gone").
http://tinyurl.com/q8cwsov

All girls in Russia try to imitate her I-spin, the closest ones being Proklova and Nugumanova imo.
Liza presenting "Biellmann Lipnitskoy" (Lipnitskaya's Biellmann): :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pJBc10mtUY

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
My favorite Biellmann spin was Mao Asada's incredibly dramatic and beautiful one handed Biellmann with her hand held against her chest at the end of her Bells of Moscow LP.

Imagine

Medalist
Just a random thought....but would a "charlotte spin" be physically possible? I mean....Adelina has a nice charlotte spiral...good spins...would someone like her be able to do such a spin? Would it still technically be a Biellmann?