Buying new figure skates | Golden Skate

Buying new figure skates

Salchow

Spectator
(Hi! Not sure if I am posting in the right section, I am a newbie :p)

But hello everyone, I am looking to buy a pair of new figure skates.

I am 15, about 5ft 1 and 111 pounds. I am looking to shift some weight:3

I have Jackson Mystiques which are beginner/ light support level 15. I have had these for almost 2 years which is remarkable! My feet are now too small and I am too advanced for this skate.

My level; Jumps: Everything up to lutz.

Spins: Scratch, sit and camel.

In my pro skate shop there is Edea, Graf, Jackson, and Risport skates.

I have a wide foot and I feel Jacksons really fit me so I think I am going to stick with this brand. They really have took to me well.

So Jackson skates sold there: Mystiques, Artistes, Classiques, Competitors, and Premieres.

I am stuck between the classiques and competitors. Credit to Jackson ultima website, Classiques are entry level, moderate support- level 45. Competitors are single jumps/axel, firm support- level 55. I do not know if these models are exactly the same as the ones in my pro shop but anyway.

Competitors seem suitable, but jumping from support of level 15 to level 55 seems daunting. I had no problem breaking my mystiques in but this seems massive. I have seen some things on the web about the high tongue or something.

Classiques seem lower but it still says the support is 45.

I'm not sure. I will ask at shop but any advice to offer with these skates?

And any past experiences with these skates are greatly appreciated

Any comment will make me happy!

Thanks a lot and happy skating
:)

Babbette1

On the Ice
I skated in Competitors for five years (non-jumper). They're a reliable boot. If you can get a pair without the blade, that will give you more options to select a blade suitable for your jumps. I know JAckson's sells the Competitor with the Aspire blade, but you can still order them without the blade.

concorde

Medalist
My understanding is Jacksons work well for people with wider feet.

Here is my advice - skip the Classiques. They have a plastic sole so however the factory mounts the blades, you are stuck with that. Also you will not be able to change the blades.

The next step are the Freestyles and they come with a factory blade that is fine for your current level. Freestyle are probably a good choice for you now.

Next up are the Competitors. The woman at my pro shop told me that the boots on the Freestyle and Competitors are essentially the same. The main difference is the Competitors do not come with a blade. So if you are planning on working on your axel, then this is probably a better choice for you.

Premiers are way too much boot for you now. If you go with too much boot, you can wind up with a broken ankle.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
What does your coach recommend? A boot can vary widely in terms of appropriateness for a skater - it depends on your height, weight, leg length proportion, etc. You should discuss your boots with your coach and ask for his/her recommendation. I have seen tiny kids break down a freestyle in 6 weeks - and heavier adults have them last easily a season, landing doubles. It all depends on the skater.

Competitors are stiffer than the Freestyle, and both can come boot only. Jackson also changed their boots 2 or 3 years ago, so the Competitors of 5 years ago are different from the ones that are out there now. I would agree that the Premiers are very stiff, and they will hamper knee bend and the soft landings that you want to have happening. They are also a large step up from the Mystique, and that will cause you some transition issues.

A further factor for you to consider is the blade. The Mystique has a low-level blade, and doesn't have a very aggressive toe pick. What are you considering for blades? That's as important a decision as the boot.

LilJen

Rinkside
Definitely consult with your coach. He or she should know what you are working toward and how 'hard' you are on your boots and should be able to help. (Blades, too--it's usually good to stick with the same radius--7 ft and 7.5 ft are most common--if that is working for you.)

sneakypie

Rinkside
I have the Classiques. I'm tiny and very light (5'1 and 85 pounds) and the fitter at the pro shop said they would easily get me to the single Axel and maybe even some doubles before needing an upgrade in support. It took me about 10 hours on the ice to break them in (plus a week of walking around the house in them for half an hour every day before wearing them on the ice for the first time).
If you are serious about jumping (i.e. doubles), I would recommend the Competitors because they have a higher support and a leather sole, which is much more shock absorbent. You should go to a good pro shop and try on the boots. If you are worried about the high tongue walk around in the skates (my fitter had me walk in them for ten minutes while bending my knees to see if they were okay).
The Competitors also come with a heat molding option, if your pro shop is equipped to do it, which can cut down the break-in time significantly.