What Magazines Do You Read? | Golden Skate

What Magazines Do You Read?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Okay, this may be the ultimate off-season-I'm-bored thread...

What magazines do you read?

I have subscribed to Newsweek forever & recently to Vanity Fair (my non-guilty pleasure). Once a year I buy People's 50 Most Beautiful People issue (my guilty pleasure).
:D

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I subscribe to the New Yorker and the World Heritage. Sometimes, I buy Atlantic. A few times a year I buy a fashion magazine.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I was forever subscribing to mags under those "If not pleased, just write cancel on the bill and keep the first issue as our gift" offers. By the time you recieve the bill, return it marked cancel and they cut off the service, you end up with like 3 or 4 free issues.

Mags I'm mad about include:
Interview
Spy
Vanity Fair
Travel and Leisure
HG
Metropolitan Home
The Advocate
Saveur
Tetu
Time Out
Architectural Digest
Ladies Home Journal(I'm adicted to "Can this marriage be saved?")

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Southern Living- It's illegal not to read this if you live below the MD line

Martha Stewart Living-will the mag go before my subscription expires?

O- a little bit of everything

Cook's Illustarted- I love Christopher Kimball! Each issue does a Consumer's Report style evaluation of a cooking technique or food
and gives the perfect way to do it. Plus the covers are beautiful and no ads.

Country Inns- my escape

Fine Gardening and Garden Design- My favorite gardening center has these on the counter and they suck me in everytime I go

People-Read it every week at my doctor's office

Teen Vogue and Seventeen- subscribe to these for my neice that has a learning disability and hates to read, even if she just reads the ads it's something.... I end up reading them too.

My favorite magazine Victoria discontinued publishing last June instead of receiving Victoria in the mail I received a copy of Southern Accents with a note that basically said no more Victoria enjoy this instead:mad: NOT an adequate substitution IMO.

I also usually pick up craft magazines and special issues usually holiday or gardening at Krogers.

Piel

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
International Figure Skating is the only subscription I have
but I do buy People Magazine a lot... though next fall I will be stealing my Aunt's subscriptions ;) LOL

I also pick up random copies of BOI...

oh and we get World Magazine here at the house too

4dogknight

Final Flight
Surprisingly, I subscribe to the following:

Dog Fancy
Dog Watch
Whole Dog Journal
Your Dog

4dk who did subscribe at one time or another to Newsweek, D Magazine, Kipplingers, Look, Life, Ladies Home Journal, Better Homes and Gardens, McCalls, Southern Living, Travel and Leisure, Food and Wine. But the four listed above are more indicative of me than the preceding items.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Well, these are the magazines I am most inclined to buy:

Premiere - A wonderful movie magazine! It doesn't just focus
on the big-budget, Hollywood films....it also takes a look at
independent and art house films.
Time
Newsweek
National Geographic
Jane - A very clever magazine for the gals!
Playgirl - LOL! Just kidding!

guinevere

Final Flight
I have subscribed to Entertainment Weekly for several years, and I just started subscribing to Spin (I got it for free through my credit card).

Magazines that I will pick up once in a while include Rolling Stone, Bust, Girlfriends and/or Curve (formerly Deneuve, until Catherine threw a fit). I usually buy magazines just for travelling though.

guinevere

ETA I also get a free subscription to Dance Magazine through my work. I forgot to mention it but the May issue just arrived ;)

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
Skating-wise, I read Blades on Ice and Spoptlight on Skating. I can't stand IFS.

I also have subscriptions to Maclean's (It's Canadian, like Newsweek), and L'actualite (also like Newsweek, but this is a french magazine).

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I love reading "Ladies Home Journal", "McCall's", "IFS", "O",
"Peoples" and "ESPN"...........42

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I actually intensely dislike all the skating magazines... get a decent editor, get the issues out in a timely manner (worlds coverage in August? Um, no?) so the only one I still subscribe to is IFS, but it will not be renewed.

I do subscribe to Newsweek, Budget Travel, Lucky (guilty shopping trash magazine), Marie Claire. I usually pick up Utne if it looks interesting.

Laura :)

Lynn226

On the Ice
Tonichelle said:
International Figure Skating is the only subscription I have
but I do buy People Magazine a lot... though next fall I will be stealing my Aunt's subscriptions ;) LOL

I also pick up random copies of BOI...

What she said. Seriously!

I used to subscibe to History and I think I received Travel & Leisure as some sort of deal with another company. I like the LHJ column Can this Marriage be Saved?.

pairsfan

On the Ice
Blades on Ice
Spotlight on Skating
International Figure Skating
Soap Opera Digest (not renewing, I've cut back to one soap)
TV Guide (not renewing, can't stand the new format)

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
I have a subscription to IFS, Disney Magazine,
and CosmoGirl.
Occasionally I'll buy BOI from the bookstore if it's got
a skater I like on the cover. :)

--Hermione

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Texas Monthly (a true texan must subscribe!)

FHM (I KNOW!!!! This is probably a shocker! But these men came to my door once and were very pushy, so I ended up just subsribing to this so they would go away... my boyfriend steals it from me)

Tribeza (a local society mag, my biggest guilty pleasure is reading wedding and debutant ball announcements)

I love to read people, traditional home, southern accents and us weekly... the family I babysit for subscribes to all these, so I get it out of my system after the kids go to sleep.

R

Rebecca

I used to read a lot of fluff, but I've banned it from my shelves for the past couple years (you know the magazines I mean.... Cosmo, People.... crap. I could give a lecture on what I find wrong with those magazines). Now I try to limit myself to uh, less fluff ;) I occasionally get off track and buy Psychology Today, which is fluff disguised as something deeper. But it's still fluff. Then again, I'm not exactly that magazines target audience.

I also buy Tennis magazines every month. Any one that I can get my hands on. Tennis Magazine, Ace (if I can find it), Tennis Life (which sort of blows), Tennis Week (if I can find back issues to purchase)... usually I don't luck out though, and get stuck with just one of those.

I might start buying figure skating magazines, since I decided to get back into that (at least, I would hope that is what I'm here for).

The only non sports magazine that I ever buy is Scientific America, and for that it depends on what is in that months issue.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I've subscribed to many various magazines over the years but prefer reading books so at present I am down to only 2 subscriptions:"BOI" & "IFS". I did buy (yesterday) a copy of "Reality TV" because I am hooked on this type of TV. I love Amazing Race, the original Mole, The Apprentice, Nashville Star, American Idol, etc.

andrealm

Rinkside
I understand what some of you are saying about the timeliness of figure skating magazines but I still subscribe to IFS and BOI. I also get Renaissance magazine. I read People, Vanity Fair and others from time to time depending on what catches my eye. Oh and I steal my Mom's Reader Digest a lot because I love the jokes. I used to love Biography but they don't have that magazine anymore.

guinevere

Final Flight
I forgot that my mom got me a subscription to Kiplinger's for my birthday this year - it's a financial planning type magazine. Easy to forget, because I don't really read it. I appreciate the gesture, and I'd like to take advantage fo the information in this magazine, but I don't have any $$ to invest or even start an IRA with. I tried to read an article one time, and I don't even know what they're talking about! All the stock/IRA stuff have acronyms, and I literally have no clue what they're telling me!

guinevere

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Discover
Time
People

I used to subscribe to MovieLine, but they must have gone under. I started getting copies of a magazine that wasn't nearly as witchy. I miss my MovieLine.:cry: