Skaters who skate to the same music: How do they compare? | Golden Skate

Skaters who skate to the same music: How do they compare?

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Imagine how sick the judges must be of watching Tchaikovsky v.50, or Gershwin v.30. I would start docking points for using overused pieces of music if I were a judge.

On a side note, question - how do skaters avoid using the same pieces of music as each other during one season? There are so many skaters, and an annoyingly small pool of music they all like to use, that the probability of two people/teams using the same music is high.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Imagine how sick the judges must be of watching Tchaikovsky v.50, or Gershwin v.30. I would start docking points for using overused pieces of music if I were a judge.

On a side note, question - how do skaters avoid using the same pieces of music as each other during one season? There are so many skaters, and an annoyingly small pool of music they all like to use, that the probability of two people/teams using the same music is high.
They don't avoid I am afraid. Next season we will see Swan Lake version 1001, Carmen version 999 and the judges would be like: "We have lived with this for years we forgot all the melodies already!" :unsure:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Sometimes they don't. Especially with the move towards skaters enjoying the suspense and keeping their music secret until late in the off-season.

But I imagine there is often "inside" talk about things. Joshua and Max train on the same sessions regularly; they'd know each others' music from the outset, for example.

Example: If Joshua Farris hadn't sprained his ankle, there would have been two Schindlers' Lists at CoR (though in different divisions). I bet Lipnitskaya was relieved.

As for Adelina's program... Simply just wow! Saw some 'extraordinary' reviews from the the Chinese skating forums that completely :popcorn:

Reviews of Je Suis Malade gala include 'Butchier rip off version of Plushenko's program'; 'what is with those crouching tiger hands?' :eek: ... 'those Japanese food must have tasted so good'. I must admit I didn't completely get everything until I saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQnT910enHQ especially the ending pose. Intriguing intriguing, can't wait to these amazing 9s and perhaps even 10s for the so called 'sheer originally' spoke of by some, surely to pop up at Cup of Russia/Russia Championships/the European Championships from at least 2 extraordinary judges (conservative estimate). After all, it will be unbelievably hard to top the efforts last year particularly the yellow flags gala that were simply unforgettable. I learned if anyone is capable of the impossible, the Russian Champion can!!! ++ a little help from their friends... in Russia... where magical numbers happens. Especially the signature rolling on the floor choreography with such artistic merits words simply fail.

God save you Yulia...Lipa hurray all the way I pray!! Dear Liza, please come out of your siesta..real 3lz back will ya!

:rolleye::sarcasm:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Example: If Joshua Farris hadn't sprained his ankle, there would have been two Schindlers' Lists at CoR (though in different divisions). I bet Lipnitskaya was relieved.
I think Yulia version is more memorable and more awesome, Yulia didn't have to feel relieved at all. Not to mention they compete in diffeent dicipline.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Yulia version is more memorable and more awesome, Yulia didn't have to feel relieved at all. Not to mention they compete in diffeent dicipline.

Joshua's was far more emotional and musical and didn't rely on gimmicks to sell it.

Alba

Record Breaker

I suspect she doesn't even know Farris, let alone be relieved because he was not there. :laugh:

Joshua's was far more emotional and musical and didn't rely on gimmicks to sell it.

You're talking about your emotional state, Farris effect on you. That's not a fact, just your opinion and taste.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Neither were programs for 2014-15.... So......No comment :p

Oh wait...isn't Josh sticking with it again. Lol. His was nice....maybe he can get Silver at Worlds this time :p

Seriously hoping the best for him snarcasm aside:)

Meoima

Match Penalty
It's your opinion, when you go on youtube and see the view counter. Yulia got 422,494 views and 363,387 views for her LP (and hundred of thousand views from other account).
While Joshua got 3,234 views for his LP.

I don't want to dismiss Joshua, and I didn't say that he was not a good skater. I simply said Yulia's LP is more memorable and awesome. The crowd see that, too. This is not even a contest at all. One has more than a million views combining all the clips, one might not even reach 10.000 views.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I suspect she doesn't even know Farris, let alone be relieved because he was not there. :laugh:

Farris and Lipnitskaia both have medals (gold and silver) from Junior Worlds 2012 and 2013. Is it really likely that she would not know him?? :confused2:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for close to 10,000 of Yulia's views to be fair :slink:

:laugh:

Yulia is quite private and probably hardly knows Elena Radinova who she competes regularly with. I really wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't know who Josh is. She is like a cat and doesn't show interest in certain things.

Until we know her music for this year we're really getting off topic here. Although its confusing considering Schindler's List is a program for 2014-15. Comparison maybe is fair game :confused2:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well, Joshua's is. We shall see that gorgeous superior program again.
:) it's good for him to believe in it and try again. I hope he will get better recognition if he can deliver it.

I don't dismiss his effort, but for sure I can't see his Schindler list to reach the success of what Yulia has done.

And no, Yulia didn't rely on gimmicks to sell it. I heaven't seen the movie at all and I don't have to. I feel her program very much. On the other hand, I think Joshua's Schindler list was a bit cheesy. If you think it's emotional then it's your opinion only. It doesn't mean that other people would see it the same way as you. The fact is many people in the skating world don't even know about Joshua's "gorgeous superior program" as you stated.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Yulia is quite private and probably hardly knows Elena Radinova who she competes regularly with. I really wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't know who Josh is. She is like a cat and doesn't show interest in certain things. ...

Sorry to continue off topic, but what a loss for YL if she has no interest in her skating peers (from her own discipline as well as the others). A double loss, in fact: a loss not to enjoy the beauty of their skating and a loss not to enjoy the friendship of those who share her love of skating.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Yulia isn't competing against Joshua. Why on earth should either of them care what the other's program is?

The only potential awkwardness is if they performed it at the same gala.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry to continue off topic, but what a loss for YL if she has no interest in her skating peers (from her own discipline as well as the others). A double loss, in fact: a loss not to enjoy the beauty of their skating and a loss not to enjoy the friendship of those who share her love of skating.

Well I was purely speculating and maybe stretching a bit. Its not like she ignores all skaters. Like a cat she just shows interest in some and not others it would seem. I don't see anything wrong with an inward personality though. When she goes to the rink it is to compete. It's hard to argue with her results at least to this point which is why she is there. OTOH I have noticed her becoming more open to her peers as of late. Those teen years can be quite awkward for some and it isn't until later years that people skills develop. I see no reason to hold it against her. She loves Yuzuru,Carolina, and seems to be friends with Elena Ilinykh based on pics I've seen.

https://pp.vk.me/c311117/v311117213/8eb8/tNrKCg_6X_I.jpg

Honestly the same statement could be said of posters who pick and choose skaters to like. What is the difference. I agree though with the sentiment of lost opportunities when not welcoming in new people/skaters.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Why? Friends are... troublesome. :p Only Yulia knows what can keep Yulia happy.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Why? Friends are... troublesome. :p Only Yulia knows what can keep Yulia happy.
:agree: Their top priority is to skate/compete/reach the next level, it's sad but they barely have times for friends. Dai stated that he felt lonely for years because he had focused too much on FS. :cry:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
:agree: Their top priority is to skate/compete/reach the next level, it's sad but they barely have times for friends. Dai stated that he felt lonely for years because he had focused too much on FS. :cry:

Meoima you're breaking my heart here :cry: And here I was enjoying the new program updates..

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well to get back to topic I am absolutely buzzing about C/L choosing Danse Macabre:love: I think it's my favorite choice so far.

I also want to thank Doris for doing such an amazing job updating the first page. What a great resource. :bow:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Meoima you're breaking my heart here :cry: And here I was enjoying the new program updates..
Dai said he want to looked for a romantic partner just 2 months ago. If you live in Japan you can try. :love: But I am sure he will need a big conference for a "girlfriend casting event" as millions of ladies would love to apply for that role. Poor Dai! :laugh:
It is said that Mao has lived like a monk for years, no boyfriend at all. She has concentrated on FS too much. Poor lady. :eek:hwell: