2014 Finlandia Trophy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2014 Finlandia Trophy

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Some recent news from the Finlandia Farcebook page:

... Better order that book "how to knit, for absolute beginners" real quick, they could soon be sold out at Amazon... ;-D ...

^ You think anyone will notice if they're crocheted instead? :biggrin: because I really don't want buy that book

Farcebook - intentional? In any case :laugh:

Official addendum from Farcebook ;):
Finlandia Trophy Espoo
Yes, any kind of mittens are okay and appreciated as long as they are selfmade :)
August 18 at 4:32am
https://www.facebook.com/finlandiat...y_comment_id=671565479601497&total_comments=1

And if anyone really plans to get to work with needle(s) and yarn:
Feel free to choose the model and color.
http://www.stll.fi/finlandia_trophy/?x2830320=4920284

[Good news ... 'cuz I don't think the Amazon book for beginners would teach decorative patterns as detailed as the one in the FB photo. :laugh:)]​

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
^
Wow, tht was fast!

I'll make a pair as well in due time. Wonder what they will do with all the leftovers?

TMC

Record Breaker
^
Wow, tht was fast!

I'll make a pair as well in due time. Wonder what they will do with all the leftovers?

Well she found out about the competition in April on Farcebook, I think - it was there but only in Finnish. She started working on them in May and finished in July :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Well she found out about the competition in April on Farcebook, I think - it was there but only in Finnish. She started working on them in May and finished in July :laugh:
Your mum is living in England with you? Wow she is awesome! :love:

TMC

Record Breaker
Oh, Good luck to your mom. How wonderful. Such a lovely competition. :love:

Don't think she'll win - the design is a lot simpler than the others - but I hope she gets something! She's so shy anyway she's horrified by the idea of "having to meet some skater" :biggrin:

Figureskaterr

Rinkside
Has anyone noticed that Adelina Sotnikova is not listed in the other challenger series events? Came to my mind that there could a possibility she will participate in Finlandia trophy. It would be a little bit surprising if she doesn't go to any senior B before her first GP, taking into account her long break. Would be interesting if both Olympic gold medallists compete there (yuzu and adelina).

bibi1899

Rinkside
Finlandia Trophy 2014

Men
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Justus STRID DEN 1
2 Tomi PULKKINEN FIN 2
3 Matthias VERSLUIS FIN 2
4 Valtter VIRTANEN FIN 2
5 Viktor ZUBIK FIN 2
Bela PAPP FIN 2 S
6 Franz STREUBEL GER 3
7 Yuzuru HANYU JPN 4
8 Artur DMITRIEV RUS 5
9 Konstantin MENSHOV RUS 5
10 Sergei VORONOV RUS 5
Alexander PETRO RUS 5 S
11 Adam RIPPON USA 6
Grant HOCHSTEIN USA 6 S
Jordan MOELLER USA 6 S
12 Misha GE UZB 7

S - Substitute Entry
---------------------------------------------------------
Ladies

Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE 1
2 Helery HÄLVIN EST 2
3 Svetlana ISSAKOVA EST 2
Gerli LIINAMÄE EST 2 S
4 Liubov EFIMENKO FIN 3
5 Rosaliina KUPARINEN FIN 3
6 Jenni SAARINEN FIN 3
7 Juulia TURKKILA FIN 3
Emilia TOIKKANEN FIN 3 S
8 Carol BRESSANUTTI ITA 4
9 Rika HONGO JPN 5
10 Ieva GAILE LAT 6
11 Kristine GAILE LAT 6
12 Fleur MAXWELL LUX 7
13 Camilla GJERSEM NOR 8
14 Anine RABE NOR 8
15 Alisson Krystle PERTICHETO PHI 9
16 Maria ARTEMIEVA RUS 10
17 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS 10
Nikol GOSVIANI RUS 10 S
Alena LEONOVA RUS 10 S
18 Joshi HELGESSON SWE 11
19 Isabelle OLSSON SWE 11
20 Samantha CESARIO USA 12
Mariah BELL USA 12 S
Hannah MILLER USA 12 S
---------------------------------------------

Ice Dance
Entries
No. Name Nation
1 Olesia KARMI / Max LINDHOLM FIN 1
2 Henna LINDHOLM / Ossi KANERVO FIN 1
3 Cecilia TÖRN / Jussiville PARTANEN FIN 1
4 Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI GER 2
5 Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO / Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO MEX 3
6 Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV RUS 4
7 Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN RUS 4
8 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR TUR 5
9 Anastasia GALYETA / Avidan BROWN UKR 6
10 Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE USA 7
Anastasia CANNUSCIO / Colin MCMANUS USA 7 S

TMC

Record Breaker
Yay for Adam Rippon, too bad Jordan is only a sub :(

So many Russian men! (D'oh)

Sammi Cesario!
Camilla Gjersem!
Tuktamysheva!

Looking forward to seeing new ID names (to me) as well as Bobrova/Soloviev, Agafonova/Ucar & Hubell/Donohue live.

And a Mexican team!!!

I hope Henna & Ossi have kept their long from last season...

Oh and my mum is gonna looooove Nelli&Alex :laugh: She'll have to knit another pair of mittens in case they win her favour at the event so that Alex gets his, too!

And she's going to gush over all of the Russian skaters, she loves anything Russian. It'll make me feel like I'm live watching here with you guys, with all the Russians gushing over all the Russians :biggrin:

.....Yeah on second thought the mittens are definitely going to a Russian skater :rofl:

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Erm... she's only a sub?

Sad that Kiira couldn't compete, but looking forward to Tuktamysheva (I'm hoping for a return to form)... Rika Hongo, who will also make her GP debut later this year... and Cesario. Also hoping to see improvements in some of the skaters who've competed at Finlandia in previous years, and some new faces.

The men's competition has a good field - Hanyu of course... Voronov, I wonder if he will contine the momentum of last year... "big jumps" Menshov... the always-entertaining Misha Ge... Adam Rippon... and hoping for improvements from my favourite of the Finnish men, Virtanen.

Love Bobrova/Soliviev and Zhiganshina/Gazsi, and glad to see Hubble/Donohue competing too...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yay for Adam Rippon, too bad Jordan is only a sub :(

So many Russian men! (D'oh)

Sammi Cesario!
Camilla Gjersem!
Tuktamysheva!

Looking forward to seeing new ID names (to me) as well as Bobrova/Soloviev, Agafonova/Ucar & Hubell/Donohue live.

And a Mexican team!!!

I hope Henna & Ossi have kept their long from last season...

Oh and my mum is gonna looooove Nelli&Alex She'll have to knit another pair of mittens in case they win her favour at the event so that Alex gets his, too!

And she's going to gush over all of the Russian skaters, she loves anything Russian. It'll make me feel like I'm live watching here with you guys, with all the Russians gushing over all the Russians

.....Yeah on second thought the mittens are definitely going to a Russian skater

I would like to believe that it's a good sign that Jordan Moeller, Mariah Bell, and Hannah Miller [ETA, and Hochstein] are subs. I hope that eventually Mariah will get her first Challenger assignment, and that Jordan and Hannah each will get a second (after SLC and Lombardia, respectively). [ETA, hope also that Hochstein will get a second (after Lombardia as well).]
[ETA, I now realize that I am being too optimistic. See post #40 below.]​
[ETA, my mistake: I am happy to now see (thx to Mrs. P :)) that Mariah Bell already had been assigned to Nebelhorn. :)]​

Mexico's ice dancers, the Maekawa Moreno siblings, are members of the Team Canton gang, which has been well represented at Finlandia in past years.

Thx to bibi for posting the entry lists.

Last but definitely not least -- on the topic of the mittens :
Very cool that TMC's mum has made a pair (with more to come??). :bow:
This pair is my favorite from the federation's Facebook page:

Last edited by a moderator:

Figureskaterr

Rinkside
I would like to believe that it's a good sign that Jordan Moeller, Mariah Bell, and Hannah Miller are subs. I hope that Mariah eventually will get her first Challenger assignment, and that Jordan and Hannah each will get a second (after SLC and Lombardia, respectively). Finlandia is Hochstein's second.

Mexico's ice dancers, the Maekawa Moreno siblings, are members of the Team Canton gang, which has been well represented at Finlandia in past years.

Thx to bibi for posting the entry lists.

Last but definitely not least -- on the topic of the mittens :yay::
Very cool that TMC's mum has made a pair (with more to come??). :bow:
This pair is my favorite from the federation's Facebook page:

It's a pity the US isn't sending 2 ladies and 2 men like in previous years. Would be really nice to see Hochstein and Bell in Finlandia Trophy too. Wondering why usfsa decided to send only 1...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's a pity the US isn't sending 2 ladies and 2 men like in previous years. Would be really nice to see Hochstein and Bell in Finlandia Trophy too. Wondering why usfsa decided to send only 1...

Ooops, I misread the list re Hochstein ... overlooked that he is only a sub for Finlandia. I will fix my post above.

Because of the Challenger series (or so it would seem), USFS is sending skaters to a greater number of Senior Bs this year ... so maybe it is spreading out assignments over the greater number of events??
[ETA, never mind ... sorry, I take this comment back. See post #40 below.]​

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Why?
Anyway, as always great entries!!

I think Kiira isn't ready yet. She recovered finally from her injury in the beginning of June so she is still practising. If I remember right she told that she will compete in the end of the year - probably in Finland's nationals which are in December. I haven't heard any special news from her since then except her new web page and the musics and choreographics of the programs.

Figureskaterr

Rinkside
Ooops, I misread the list re Hochstein ... overlooked that he is only a sub for Finlandia. I will fix my post above.

Because of the Challenger series (or so it would seem), USFS is sending skaters to a greater number of Senior Bs this year ... so maybe it is spreading out assignments over the greater number of events??

That is true, they're sending lots of skater to the Canadian and US senior B's and to 2 of the European events. The rest they send only 1 skater/team per discipline. It's still much better than what for example Canada does. They send very few skaters to senior B's (anyone knows why???) except what comes to their own B event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That is true, they're sending lots of skater to the Canadian and US senior B's and to 2 of the European events. The rest they send only 1 skater/team per discipline. It's still much better than what for example Canada does. They send very few skaters to senior B's (anyone knows why???).

Re Canada and Senior Bs:

Just a theory, but maybe this year is an aberration in Skate Canada's approach to Senior Bs and the new Challenger series.
The Skate Canada Autumn Classic also is new, and SC must be spending a lot of money to launch it. SC assigned many of its top skaters to compete there -- partly to establish it as a significant competition, I would think.

IIRC, Virtue/Moir entered Finlandia three times (one of which ended up as a withdrawal b/c of Scott's neck injury).​

Re USFS:

Sorry, please forget the conjecture in my post above re spreading out assignments.
Ice Challenge in Graz in November would appear to be the only remaining Challenger event to which USFS will send skaters (other than Challenger events for which entries already have been announced).