2014 Finlandia Trophy | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2014 Finlandia Trophy

Figureskaterr

Rinkside
Re Canada and Senior Bs:

Just a theory, but maybe this year is an aberration in Skate Canada's approach to Senior Bs and the new Challenger series.
The Skate Canada Autumn Classic also is new, and SC must be spending a lot of money to launch it. SC assigned many of its top skaters to compete there -- partly to establish it as a significant competition, I would think.

IIRC, Virtue/Moir entered Finlandia three times (one of which ended up as a withdrawal b/c of Scott's neck injury).

But this has been the policy of SC in previous years too, hasn't it? I may remember wrong. VM have been in Finlandia Trophy because they wanted to, not because the fed suggested to send them. At least this is the impression I got from one interview. I cannot remember where I read it :/

Does SC support financially the skaters sent to senior B's?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
But this has been the policy of SC in previous years too, hasn't it? I may remember wrong. VM have been in Finlandia Trophy because they wanted to, not because the fed suggested to send them. At least this is the impression I got from one interview. I cannot remember where I read it :/

Does SC support financially the skaters sent to senior B's?

LOL, I had better stop posting in this thread ... sorry, I think my memory has conflated USFS' and Skate Canada's previous numbers at Finlandia. :eek:hwell:

Other than Virtue/Moir more recently, I see only that Canada sent one lady and one man in 2009.

catchie

On the Ice
Nice to see the Gaile twins on the list! Have been waiting for quite some time to finally see them compete this season (with hopefully, new and fresh programs) !

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Something about Asahi TV acquiring broadcast rights to Finlandia??

Is it something new this year??

http://www.stll.fi/?x2126=4950572 (Sep 2) (in Finnish)​

via @LauraLepisto

ETA:

From the Facebook page of Finlandia Trophy Espoo:
Japanese TV Asahi has bought exclusive rights to the international figure skating competition Finlandia Trophy Espoo, to be held on 10–12 October 2014. The event is estimated to attract 10 million viewers in Japan. The exclusive right is limited to Japan, with the Finnish Broadcasting Company Yle televising the event in Finland.#fintrophy14
https://www.facebook.com/finlandiat...93597.399447143480000/678293305595381/?type=1

And BTW, single day tickets are available as of Sep 1:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yes, this is the first time.

I think it is due to Hanyu starting his season off there. But it will mean we in japan will have better coverage of the ladies and the dance and pairs as well. YAY!
I don't know if it will be live or not.

bibi1899

Rinkside
TV Asahi will not live broadcast the FT since there is time difference issue. However they will broadcast the competition in best period at their best.
Oct 12(SP)&13 (FS)7:00pm at BS Asahi(in JP locall time),which means people in jp can watch the competition just couple hours after the competition finished.
Here is the link:http:// http://www.bs-asahi.co.jp/figure_finlandia/
By the way, TV Asahi paid the big money to accquire the exclusive broadcast right in Japan. I think they know how this competition is worthy.

wishonastar

On the Ice
Hubbell and Donohue have withdrawn from the competition. US will be sending Cannuscio/McManus in their place.

unico

Final Flight
Hanyu also withdrawn from Finlandia Trophy (link to announcement):

Finlandia Trophy Espoo
We regret to inform you, that Yuzuru Hanyu from Japan has withdrawn from the competition due to the advice from his physician. We have a message from Mr. Hanyu:

"I was competing this event every year, and I always take this
opportunity very important as the first official event of the season.
However, consider the long season, I regretfully decided not to take
risks and decline my participation. I would like to express my heartfelt
sorrow that I cannot skate at my favourite country, and miss many of the figure skating fans. I will give my word that I will do my best and skate once again in Finland at near future!"

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
Why do I get the feeling that Hanyuu withdrawing from Finlandia is a JSF tactic, just like how Kanako withdrew from Nebelhorn? :think: What's up, Team Japan? :confused:

ETA: Is anyone stepping in/replacing Hanyuu on Finlandia? I've basically booked my weekends off just to watch these events and while I'm still fairly interested, it just won't be the same without any Japanese skaters (who I root for).

ETA 2: It seems Hanyuu injured his back during practice and was really advised by his physician to have a rest instead of competing.

From Yahoo! Sports JP (Source: Sankei Sports) (in Japanese, my (poor) English translation follows):
羽生、練習中に腰を痛め今季初戦を欠場/フィギュア

ソチ五輪フィギュアスケート男子金メダルの羽生結弦(19)=ANA=が、今季初戦に予定していた10月のフィンランディア杯(フィンランド・エスポー)を欠場することが23日、分かった。

日本スケート連盟の伊東秀仁フィギュア委員長(52)によると羽生は練習中に腰を痛め、「筋筋膜性腰痛症」と診断された。9月17日に診断書と辞退届を同連盟に提出した。伊東氏によるとグランプリ(GP)シリーズ第3戦中国杯(11月、上海)出場は問題ないという。

Hanyuu to miss his first event this season, injures back during practice

It has been reported (understood) that Sochi Olympics Men's Figure Skating Gold Medalist Yuzuru Hanyuu (19, ANA Skating Club) will be missing out on his first event of this season this October (Finlandia Trophy).

According to JSF's chairman (?) Hidehito Ito (52), Hanyuu has incurred a myofascial lower back pain, and has submitted his notice of withdrawal (refusal) together with a medical certificate last 17 September. Furthermore he said that this will not affect Hanyuu's appearance at the Grand Prix Series' 3rd Cup of China in November.

Poor kid :( Hope he gets well sooner.

jace93

On the Ice
Why do I get the feeling that Hanyuu withdrawing from Finlandia is a JSF tactic, just like how Kanako withdrew from Nebelhorn? :think: What's up, Team Japan? :confused:

ETA: Is anyone stepping in/replacing Hanyuu on Finlandia? I've basically booked my weekends off just to watch these events and while I'm still fairly interested, it just won't be the same without any Japanese skaters (who I root for).

ETA 2: It seems Hanyuu injured his back during practice and was really advised by his physician to have a rest instead of competing.

From Yahoo! Sports JP (Source: Sankei Sports) (in Japanese, my (poor) English translation follows):

Poor kid :( Hope he gets well sooner.

I'm so sorry to hear this... :( let's hope he will heal soon...

Something tells me that tv Asahi is going to lose money on this competition...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
ETA: Is anyone stepping in/replacing Hanyuu on Finlandia? I've basically booked my weekends off just to watch these events and while I'm still fairly interested, it just won't be the same without any Japanese skaters (who I root for)
Some skaters have (or had) substitutes listed, so when eg. Hubble/Donohue and Menshov withdrew, they were replaced. But Hanyu had no substitute entry, so maybe no-one can take his place?

See http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028226.htm

With Hanyu's withdrawal, I wonder what attendance will be like. I suspect many tickets may have been bought by Japanese Hanyu fans - but how many will still make the trip now?

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
Some skaters have (or had) substitutes listed, so when eg. Hubble/Donohue and Menshov withdrew, they were replaced. But Hanyu had no substitute entry, so maybe no-one can take his place?

I find it hard to believe that no one can, seeing as Japan has such a depth in the FS field, but yeah, they didn't list any substitute, which is a shame. More of their younger skaters could've gone and been 'tested' over there. I remember in other Challenger Series events, they list almost all the upcoming male skaters as substitute. lol.

With Hanyu's withdrawal, I wonder what attendance will be like. I suspect many tickets may have been bought by Japanese Hanyu fans - but how many will still make the trip now?

Low turnout from the japanese fans I reckon, but for the others (and for those who are on here that bought tickets!) I do hope they still go! It's their patronage that keeps these skating competitions going.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Low turnout from the japanese fans I reckon, but for the others (and for those who are on here that bought tickets!) I do hope they still go! It's their patronage that keeps these skating competitions going.
Yeah, we'll still be going, for the 3rd year in a row, travelling from the UK.

The first year, I must admit Hanyu was the main reason to go, although Korpi, Lipnitskaia, Nagasu, Weir, Fernandez, Bobrova/Soloviev, Virtue/Moir (although they didn't make it), etc had something to do with it too :-D And we discovered the irrepressible Misha Ge there too.

But we liked it so much, now we want to go each year, no matter who is competing (not that the list of competitors has ever been lacking, even after high-profile withdrawals). The venue is good - with seating right up to the ice, and excellent lighting for photos/videos. Finland is beautiful, the food is great, the people are generally friendly and they mostly speak English better than British people haha!

We even made a Finnish friend there, we've kept in touch ever since, and we meet them at other skating competitions too.

juuryokunashi

On the Ice
Yeah, we'll still be going, for the 3rd year in a row, travelling from the UK.

The first year, I must admit Hanyu was the main reason to go, although Korpi, Lipnitskaia, Nagasu, Weir, Fernandez, Bobrova/Soloviev, Virtue/Moir (although they didn't make it), etc had something to do with it too :-D And we discovered the irrepressible Misha Ge there too.

But we liked it so much, now we want to go each year, no matter who is competing (not that the list of competitors has ever been lacking, even after high-profile withdrawals). The venue is good - with seating right up to the ice, and excellent lighting for photos/videos. Finland is beautiful, the food is great, the people are generally friendly and they mostly speak English better than British people haha!

We even made a Finnish friend there, we've kept in touch ever since, and we meet them at other skating competitions too.

That's nice! I'd love to go if I had the means (I want to go to Europe! Never been to anywhere near there) and sadly where I am is just too far from Finland, so I'm afraid I'd have to make do with the cut-throat competition for FS tickets here (I can't even watch Japan Open because it's far from where I am right now!). I will be going to NHK Trophy though, and am planning to watch WTT in Tokyo next year.

If i had tickets to Finlandia even if Hanyuu withdrew I'd still go. It'd be nice to see other skaters' performances live and up close, too. :) (Which is why I'm still watching the stream for the event! Hehe)

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
I had been worried about Yuzuru getting injured when I learned of his programs for this season. Luckily it doesn't seem that serious and I really hope he takes his time in resting.

Meanwhile I am excited to watch this event and discover the talents of other amazing skaters. (I'm still pretty new, after all. Hehe.)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It's quite disappointing that Hanyu is out, but better for him to withdraw now than at the last minute with a Plushy-in-Sochi kind of situation. I just hope Gachinski, Rippon and Voronov put on good performances now (and the other guys, too, of course).

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
It's quite disappointing that Hanyu is out, but better for him to withdraw now than at the last minute with a Plushy-in-Sochi kind of situation. I just hope Gachinski, Rippon and Voronov put on good performances now (and the other guys, too, of course).
I'm sure it will be an enjoyable competition. If nothing else, Misha Ge always puts on a good performance! (ie. He never fails to entertain! :-D)

darazam

On the Ice
http://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/nw/9557/webstream+on+sporttv.fi.html

SportTV.fi broadcasts the Finlandia Trophy Espoo live from Barona Arena on October 10-12, 2014.

With the event pass you can watch the whole 3-day competition including synchronized skating, ice dance, ladies and men. In addition to the competition there'll be interviews of skaters. You can send your questions live through the chat!

The broadcast is worldwide - but Japan is excluded due to there being local TV contracts.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Interesting...so it's 15 Euros for a 3 day pass, hmm. http://sporttv.fi/finlandiatrophy
Wow, they are charging to watch the TV streams this year?

Maybe they were expecting overload, and turned to a commercial service?
Or did they simply smell the money?

Either way, perhaps things will not be quite what they expected, now that Hanyu withdrew.

Japan is excluded from that service too (presumably geoblocked), since TV Asahi bought the exclusive rights. Which might be bad for Japanese fans, if TV Asahi (or the companies paying for advert airtime) decide viewing figures will be too greatly reduced by Hanyu's withdrawal... they might reduce their coverage.