2014 Finlandia Trophy | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2014 Finlandia Trophy

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Is Gachinksy still going to Finlandia?

Petrov seems to have taken his place on the Finlandia web site:
http://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/Skaters/Entries.html

But he still is listed in the competitors on the ISU site (last updated 27 Sept)
http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028226.htm

Which is it? I hope he's still going...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Is Gachinksy still going to Finlandia?

Petrov seems to have taken his place on the Finlandia web site:
http://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/Skaters/Entries.html

But he still is listed in the competitors on the ISU site (last updated 27 Sept)

Which is it? I hope he's still going...

The ISU page still hasn't changed, and I haven't seen anything on VK about him withdrawing, so I hope it's just a mistake. I like Petrov, but he's got the JGP going on now...and it would be good for Artur to have a "warm up" before Skate America as he hasn't competed in awhile.

LRK

Record Breaker
The ISU page still hasn't changed, and I haven't seen anything on VK about him withdrawing, so I hope it's just a mistake. I like Petrov, but he's got the JGP going on now...and it would be good for Artur to have a "warm up" before Skate America as he hasn't competed in awhile.

Well, Petrov is done with the JGP for the moment, isn't he? I mean, until the JGPF - which is in December, I think? Anyway, can they do both senior B's and junior competitions? I don't know how that works?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, Petrov is done with the JGP for the moment, isn't he? I mean, until the JGPF - which is in December, I think? Anyway, can they do both senior B's and junior competitions? I don't know how that works?

I wasn't actually sure when the final was...I was just thinking I had seen him compete twice already in recent weeks, and Artur hasn't competed since December, with not-so-great results. While I'm fuzzy on the rules with regard to senior & junior competitions, I believe it varies by country, and Russia allows skaters to compete in both junior and senior competitions concurrently. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh, I was merely commenting on Petrov not being "busy" with the JGP at the moment - I wasn't suggesting the advisibility of "yanking" Gachinsky in his favour. I doubt they'd do that, though, and that if Petrov ends up skating instead, it would be as a sub, and that Gachinsky wasn't feeling competition ready for whatever reason. Anyway, I suppose time will tell...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

JGPF is held with the Senior GPF in December. Which I've always thought was NUTS.

Hope Artur is still competing!

LRK

Record Breaker
JGPF is held with the Senior GPF in December. Which I've always thought was NUTS.

Hope Artur is still competing!

I agree - that's a huge gap between when the skater might have competed in JGP last and the final.... It makes no sense at all.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I agree - that's a huge gap between when the skater might have competed in JGP last and the final.... It makes no sense at all.
Easier logistics and less resources needed, if they do both at the same time I guess.

And it's great if you're going to see the GPF! With so many amazing young skaters these days, junior GPF in the same trip is a huge bonus! :-D

Easier logistics and less resources needed, if they do both at the same time I guess.

And it's great if you're going to see the GPF! With so many amazing young skaters these days, junior GPF in the same trip is a huge bonus! :-D

Exactly. They used to have separate event and if I remember well, for the 2008-2009 JGPF they joined it with the seniors. More medias attention and less money. Amodio did there one of his last masterpiece... He was so good at that time.

When it was helded separately, not that much people where in the stands and it was hardly televized. I remember we had quite quickly videos after the 2005 event but most of the time it was fans recording from the crowd. When there were.

LRK

Record Breaker
I can understand that. But it also means that the skaters have to maintain peak condition from August/September and until December - the first to get to the final in the first place, and then they have to have maintained fitness all the time until then to do well in December. Maybe with a two moth gap (?) without any JGP competition in between. Maybe it's the JGPs that should be moved forward?

unico

Final Flight
I can understand that. But it also means that the skaters have to maintain peak condition from August/September and until December - the first to get to the final in the first place, and then they have to have maintained fitness all the time until then to do well in December. Maybe with a two moth gap (?) without any JGP competition in between. Maybe it's the JGPs that should be moved forward?

Do countries host their junior national championships in the time between the JGP and the JGPF? I know that for Japan, their junior nationals is sometime in November as opposed to their senior nationals near the end of December. This is my first time trying to follow the junior circuit so I don't really know the schedules at all. Even so though, that's still only one competition (and only national level at that) in a ~2 month time span.

The entries page shows it was last updated today, and Artur is still listed. Thank goodness! Only 9 entries though...kind of sad.

Thank you for the update, I look forward to seeing him compete.

russell30

Final Flight
Hi, does anyone know if Kiira Korpi was scheduled to compete in this event, hope everything is going ok with Kiira but i assume she has to enter a B Event to gain the minimum scores for euros and worlds.

LRK

Record Breaker
Last I looked, her name wasn't listed. I'd like to know what is going on with Kiira as well, and how she is doing. I hope she will come back soon. :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The last I had heard was that only 6 months ago Kiira had surgery to fix a cut achilies tendon. :eek: Not sure of her progress from that but I remember people saying she needs to get her minimum ISU scores to compete in Euros's or Worlds and I thought the plan was thru senior B's.

Golden Spin of Zagreb ??

Violetti

On the Ice
Kiira planned to compete in December at Finnish Nationals and not at Finlandia Trophy as it is too early for her.

TMC

Record Breaker
Hi, does anyone know if Kiira Korpi was scheduled to compete in this event, hope everything is going ok with Kiira but i assume she has to enter a B Event to gain the minimum scores for euros and worlds.

Last I looked, her name wasn't listed. I'd like to know what is going on with Kiira as well, and how she is doing. I hope she will come back soon. :)

She will be competing next at nationals in December, so no she won't be at FT :(

In this piece of news from June they say that she has made a full recovery and has already been able to train on ice.

In another, linked article she says that she's really excited about Worlds in Helsinki in 2017. She says she's thinking about continuing her career until then.

Violetti

On the Ice
The last I had heard was that only 6 months ago Kiira had surgery to fix a cut achilies tendon. :eek: Not sure of her progress from that but I remember people saying she needs to get her minimum ISU scores to compete in Euros's or Worlds and I thought the plan was thru senior B's.

Golden Spin of Zagreb ??

I just found out at the Finnish official figure skating website that Kiira is indeed named to compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb in December and before that at Warsaw Cup, 21.-24.11.

TMC

Record Breaker

Great news, thanks for sharing! :)