Adelina Sotnikova: I want to show I deserved to be Olympic champion | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova: I want to show I deserved to be Olympic champion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taan

On the Ice
:):cool::):clap:
http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/31/adelina-sotnikova-russia-sochi-olympic-figure-skating/
“After the Olympics I grew up,” Sotnikova told RIA Novosti. “I feel that my perspective not only on sport, but on life in general has changed. I look differently at my skating now. I want to show people that I deserved to be an Olympic champion, that it was not a coincidence, that I’ve got a gold medal for a reason!”

Sotnikova won gold under controversial circumstances, over 2010 Olympic champion Yuna Kim of South Korea. The Korea Skating Union filed two complaints in the spring over the judging in Sochi, which were rejected by the International Skating Union.

The complaints specifically mentioned Sochi Olympic judge Alla Shekhovtseva, who made headlines in the aftermath of the women’s free skate as being married to a top Russian figure skating federation official and was seen hugging Sotnikova shortly after she won gold.

Outside of the judging, Sotnikova’s gold was peculiar because she had finished ninth in her only World Championships appearance, the previous year.

Sotnikova, who turned 18 on July 1, became the first woman to win individual Olympic figure skating gold with no prior World Championships medals.

Amei

Record Breaker
Good for her. I just hope that someone on her team is telling her that there will always be haters and that she doesn't have to prove anything to anyone except herself.

I want to show people that I deserved to be an Olympic champion, that it was not a coincidence, that I’ve got a gold medal for a reason!”

This worries me that she might be trying to 'prove' something vs. going out and skating as well as she can and cause her to lose focus.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I wish her the best of luck. Regardless of who should've won, she did skate incredibly well and I hope she becomes more consistent in the future.

titatovenaar

Rinkside
Well she needs something to motivate herself. This can be as good as anything. The bigger danger would be to feel there is no reason to continue skating, having already won the ultimate prize.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Not going to talk about the gold but she is a very deserving medalist and skated very well that night, I remember she said that she still wants a Worlds and Europeans title so hopefully she'll be more consistent in the future now.

skateluver

Rinkside
No doubt she had great skates at Olympics and she is a wonderful skater. I don't think she deserved to win, but on the other hand I also think that Yuna's winning margin in Vancouver was ridiculous. Judging will never please everyone. I am glad she will continue and look forward to seeing some more mature performances from her. I do like her skating very much and hope she will medal at Worlds and Europeans. Go girl!!

cooper

Medalist
No doubt she had great skates at Olympics and she is a wonderful skater. I don't think she deserved to win, but on the other hand I also think that Yuna's winning margin in Vancouver was ridiculous. Judging will never please everyone. I am glad she will continue and look forward to seeing some more mature performances from her. I do like her skating very much and hope she will medal at Worlds and Europeans. Go girl!!

well.. there is a debate about her scores in vancouver but there was no debate who won that night... unlike in sochi..

as for adelina.. hopefully she will win all the gold.. after all she was vocal about it after winning the ogm in sochi..

russians will dominate ladies fs just like in rhythmic gymnastics.. i don't see anyone can challenge them.. not even gracie gold..

creaturelover

On the Ice

I agree, I really want to see maturity from Adelina, she really is a lovely skater.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think it unfortunate she feels the need to show people she deserved to be the Olympic champion. For starters, it is a task doomed to fail, as there are some who will never believe that no matter what.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I think it unfortunate she feels the need to show people she deserved to be the Olympic champion. For starters, it is an task doomed to fail, as there are some who will never believe that no matter what.
This

I don't understand how her future has anything to do with that OGM. Till the end of the world I will believe that she didn't deserve to be an Olympic champion THAT night, no matter how many gold medal she will win from now on.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't understand how her future has anything to do with that OGM. Till the end of the world I will believe that she didn't deserve to be an Olympic champion THAT night, no matter how many gold medal she will win from now on.

I think her perspective is that she wants to show that she didn't just have one great competition but that she is able to peak at other big events. She will face a lot of pressure because she is going to be the favorite in every competition she enters this season, as Mao, Caro, and Yuna won't be competing.

ManLady

On the Ice
Its funny that adelina was motivated to win ogm by russian federation snubbing her, and now she has a new fire in her belly as a result of that. maybe she'll never be happy lol. either way this is shaping up to be an exciting season and a good time to be a ladies figure skating fan.

Barb

Record Breaker
This

true, i think she deserved her gold medal even if she lost all the others competitions. If the olympic gold was to who deserve it more because their carers it would be for michelle, irina and mao.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
true, i think she deserved her gold medal even if she lost all the others competitions.
True, that's how I mean I don't understand how she think she need to prove anything if she herself believe that she deserved that title. She not going to change any mind no matter what.
If the olympic gold was to who deserve it more because their carers it would be for michelle, irina and mao.
And it's not because of anyone's career so just don't start that pointless :p
Did Adelina speak English and those were her direct words?
No, it's translated

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
As much as we'd all like to say that what happens in the future doesn't matter... it does. If Adelina wins three World titles and skates clean with at least a medal in the next Olympics, people will look at her original OGM differently. History is, after all, written by the winners. The more stuff Adelina wins (uncontroversially) in the future, the better her original win will look. Maybe that's not "right," but it's the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.