Lunges extremely difficult | Golden Skate

Lunges extremely difficult

TheSnowQueen2013

Rinkside
Yes, all tricks are difficult when you haven't done them for long, but in my case, a lunge is not only difficult, but mainly painful. It hurts my knees and I cannot put all my weight on the skating leg without falling. Does being overweight have anything to do with it? Is it simply because I haven't done them for long? They're super hard for me but I know I need to learn them. I've noticed when I'm barefoot on regular ground I can only do it when I lift my foot on the ball of my foot (like Barbie feet?). Am I bending my leg too far forward?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's quite possible that your weight is hurting your knees. Mine do. All the time, more than I would like.

But I think possibly a potential lack of flexibility might be your bigger problem. As well, you are likely hunching over your front leg, which pushes the weight forward and is a very common problem.

hanca

Record Breaker
And if you are overweight, it is possible that it is too much strain on your knees. I don't do them exactly from that reason, although I have the skills to do them (I did them in the past). If I do them too much, my knees hurt. I have had one surgery on the right one and two surgeries on the left one. It is not worth putting too much strain on the knees if it is something that is not essential. It won't bring any extra points in competition. There is so many other moves that one can use instead...

Littlerain

Rinkside
If you do need to do them, practice lunges on the ground regularly. Perhaps any sort of off ice workout/stretching routine would help. I know even a little stretching helps me! (Eventually) lol

Babbette1

On the Ice
If your hip on the lunge side lacks flexibility that may be putting a strain on your opposite knee to keep yourself up.

wingedgiraffe

Spectator
I used to have trouble with them hurting my knees, but then my coach made me do butterfly stretches to improve turnout for spread eagles, and I have no trouble. If you don't have enough flexibility to turn out at the hip, they could be putting too much twist on your knees.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I used to have trouble with them hurting my knees, but then my coach made me do butterfly stretches to improve turnout for spread eagles, and I have no trouble. If you don't have enough flexibility to turn out at the hip, they could be putting too much twist on your knees.

So much wrong with this statement...

Turnout can't be "improved". You can only learn to use it. You're born with it. The butterfly stretch is good to loosen the muscles in there, but that doesn't increase your turnout.

And the OP was talking about the skating knee, not the dragging knee, and I can't see how turnout would help this problem at all.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Lunges put a lot of strain on the quadriceps muscles, which pull on your knee joint. It's a pretty extreme movement to do if you are carrying extra weight.