Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ladies and the quad

Ladies and the quad

Miki Ando (JPN) became the first woman to land a quadruple jump (Salchow) of any kind at the 2002-03 Junior Grand Prix Final.

In 2001, USA's Sasha Cohen landed a quad Salchow in warmup and practice at Skate America, but aborted the attempt in her long program.

Between 1989 and 1996, Surya Bonaly of France attempted several quads, but she fell on one attempt and the others were underrotated.

Who might the next (ladies discipline) be?

Didn't Surya fall after she landed her quad? I remember her celebrating when she landed, only to splat on her face immediately after. I know it's wrong, but that splat always has me when I watch it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Franklin99 View Post
    Didn't Surya fall after she landed her quad? I remember her celebrating when she landed, only to splat on her face immediately after. I know it's wrong, but that splat always has me when I watch it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mmZhBy1IXQ

How epic.

Custom Title
    How I wish Miki Ando to get out of retirement...

Didn't Surya fall after she landed her quad?
    It was underrotated.

Custom Title
    Well we all heard about the fact that Sotnikova wants to try it or that her coach believes she could do it... so maybe her, even though I don't think she's actually gonna go for it

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by starlight97 View Post
    Well we all heard about the fact that Sotnikova wants to try it or that her coach believes she could do it... so maybe her, even though I don't think she's actually gonna go for it
    Sotnikova needs to get more consistent about landing the doubles/triples in competition before she tries quads in competition.

The one thing that concerns me about a lady trying the quad in competition is that she'll become like Mao Asada and become married to the move and get to the point where she 'has' to do it and the rest of her skating/program suffer.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Yulia Lip is rumored to be practicing the quad. She loves watching guys with quads, so it's understandable that she wants one for herself.

Custom Title
    Mao's been doing the triple axel since she was a little girl. I don't think Adelina starting a quad at 17 would have the same connection with the jump as Mao did with hers. Not to mention, I don't think the triple axel was a bad thing for Mao. She made history with it, twice, at the Olympics (first woman to land 3 triple axels in one competition; first woman to land 8 triples, one of every kind, in the LP).

Speaking of Mao, to add to the OP, Mao has landed quads in practice, I believe.

My take on it: If it's decently stable in practice, by all means, go for it! It's an exciting prospect, but I don't want people splatting day in and day out. And considering the penalty for URs... I don't think anyone will attempt it. Liza and Adelina could potentially do it, if they stay injury-free and can hold their nerve.

Custom Title
    Surya was training it before the Nagano Olympics. (I remember reading that she was landing 4S but unable to land a 3F in practices at her home rink.)

Of the active ladies, I would think Adelina has the height but not the technique to land it. While she jumps big, her 3T is often leaning in the air. She is able to land it, but I think adding another rotation would throw her off. Perhaps Julia could do the 4S because she rotates so fast.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Mao's been doing the triple axel since she was a little girl. I don't think Adelina starting a quad at 17 would have the same connection with the jump as Mao did with hers. Not to mention, I don't think the triple axel was a bad thing for Mao. She made history with it, twice, at the Olympics (first woman to land 3 triple axels in one competition; first woman to land 8 triples, one of every kind, in the LP).

Speaking of Mao, to add to the OP, Mao has landed quads in practice, I believe.

My take on it: If it's decently stable in practice, by all means, go for it! It's an exciting prospect, but I don't want people splatting day in and day out. And considering the penalty for URs... I don't think anyone will attempt it. Liza and Adelina could potentially do it, if they stay injury-free and can hold their nerve.
    There are videos of Mao as a young girl attempting the quad salchow but I guess she never quite got it

Looking at the girls right now maybe Adelina since her jumps are big but personally I think she's only going to be doing it in practice, too risky for her.

Custom Title
    ^I think Mao has spoken about wanting to a quad after Vancouver, but between reworking her jump technique and everything, I don't think she could've had enough energy left to get a quad too...

Custom Title
    the ladies with potential for a 4T in my opinion are: Sotnikova, Meite (she attempts 3A in run through in Euros and Oly), and Osmond.. all three girls 3T are HUGE and so potent! maybe Murakami, but she needs to fix her URs

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisRollerArg View Post
    the ladies with potential for a 4T in my opinion are: Sotnikova, Meite (she attempts 3A in run through in Euros and Oly), and Osmond.. all three girls 3T are HUGE and so potent! maybe Murakami, but she needs to fix her URs
    If it's Meite, then I would jump with joy! I love her style!

Custom Title
    Here's a relevant video, ladies' 3-3s, 3A, and quad collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-IT72GWrWE

Seems to have omitted lots of people from the older era (Yamaguchi, Ito, Harding), but it's still worth a watch. The Japanese ladies seem to really be bringing it with the tech content, between Mao, Shizuka, and Miki! Any chance one of them could bring the quad or 3A to competition, especially if they feel like they need it to challenge the Russians? (Outside of the obvious choice of Mao herself, who absolutely refuses to compete without 3A ).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast