Polina Edmunds shows promise | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds shows promise

treeloving

Medalist
This is 2 different concepts, literal translation of a music, playing a role or dramatic emotional program

This is what I try to say when comparing Polina program to Yulia, sorry for my English.

I didn't come in here expecting to see other posters telling us about how so and so is better than Polina. Meioma could've made her point WITHOUT telling us this other particular skater is better than her. Was a direct comparison of Polina to this specific skater necessary? Can we discuss our young favorite skaters without fans of a certain other skater always telling us how their favorite is so much superior? It's really nauseating.

And if you have no problem with them bringing up another skater and making the comparison, why do you have a problem with me objecting to it?

I think there is a difference between saying I think skating to pop music would make her program has more wow factor / pop music is more popular than classical to some fan because it is so cliche and doesn't require much effort to understand. One show different preference, another put down people who have different preference.....

Meoima

Match Penalty
I didn't come in here expecting to see other posters telling us about how so and so is better than Polina. Meioma could've made her point WITHOUT telling us this other particular skater is better than her. Was a direct comparison of Polina to this specific skater necessary? Can we discuss our young favorite skaters without fans of a certain other skater always telling us how their favorite is so much superior? It's really nauseating.
Excuse me, did you read my post at all? It's NOT me who brought up Yulia first, ***. It's chuckm:

Originally Posted by chuckm
BTW, Polina landed seven clean triples at 2014 Worlds. Lipnitskaia landed 6 triples, but two were flutzes; Pogorilaya landed seven triples, but one was a lip.
The fact that Polina doesn't lip or flutz gives her an advantage, as both faults will be penalized more heavily this season.

When did I say "Yulia is better than Polina"? I said Yulia team and Russian fed have paid a lot of attention in the whole package for her.

You don't have to like her choreography, but it's memorable to most people and it's objectively true. It helps her a lot with building the reputation for the next competition.

And it's reasonable because they are still young, they need to build reputation so the judges will notice them. And wow factor program is the key. I hope USA fed will do the same for Polina, what is wrong with that???

It's objectively true that Polina has potential and it's objectively true that with a good package she can make the different. I mean seriously what is wrong with pointing out the obvious?:confused:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
treeloving , I think you still quite dont get what I meant, sorry for my poor English. What I wanna point out is that, weather a program is literal translation, or play a role or use dramatic music is a different concept from nuance. The latter is more of performance capability/musicality. you can play a role or do a dramatic music or approach a music from a literal perspective and also give a nuanced performance.

EDIT: about packaging, a perfect package can wow people once, only good skating will last. If only focus on package yourself but not improve your skating/performance/musicality, Soon, you will out of packaging choices, and people will also discover your true color.

treeloving

Medalist
treeloving , I think you still quite dont get what I meant, sorry for my poor English. What I wanna point out is that, weather a program is literal translation, or play a role or use dramatic music is a different concept from nuance. The latter is more of performance capability/musicality. you can play a role or do a dramatic music or approach a music from a literal perspective and also give a nuanced performance.

EDIT: about packaging, a perfect package can wow people once, only good skating will last. If only focus on package yourself but not improve your skating/performance/musicality, Soon, you will out of packaging choices, and people will also discover your true color.

I think I get you, when I (wrongly) use the word nuance on my first post when I means something like literal (sorry for my English again, my vocabulary is limited). Of course I acknowledge that dramatic program can be nuance too.

Now let's get back to the topic. :eek::

yyyskate

Record Breaker
back to topic, I saw improvement in dance arm use and performance variety from these 2 programs compare to last season. also, the choreography has some highlights such as that long twizzle. Very solid jumping technique, a little bit telegraph. Not a fan yet, but glad to see Polina improved a lot and like these 2 programs so far.

starlight97

Final Flight
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6h6WnUmMSE

Some may have watched it already, others may not.
Very dutiful, very mature. This has really made her appear a lot more "likable" to me, since she tends to appear a bit childish in her programs or such, but indeed a great young women!
I think we also have to remember this- Lipnitskaya,Sotnikova,Asada,Gold... they all do nothing but skating, the first two being home schooled and the second two not going to school anymore. Edmunds in the other hand has to "play on both stages" and as she says, other than Lip/Sot/Asada... skating is not even her career yet, since she thinks about college and wants good grades!
So under these aspects she indeed is a great skater and person.

Barb

Record Breaker

Some may have watched it already, others may not.
Very dutiful, very mature. This has really made her appear a lot more "likable" to me, since she tends to appear a bit childish in her programs or such, but indeed a great young women!
I think we also have to remember this- Lipnitskaya,Sotnikova,Asada,Gold... they all do nothing but skating, the first two being home schooled and the second two not going to school anymore. Edmunds in the other hand has to "play on both stages" and as she says, other than Lip/Sot/Asada... skating is not even her career yet, since she thinks about college and wants good grades!

Mao is in the university yet. And is great she wants to have a career but just remember, none successful figure skater attend full time school/university at the same time they are competing in the top level. No Yuna, Mao, Michelle, Sasha, Irina, I mean world champions, not Rachel Flatt or Christina Gao who never were so successful.

And they always can attend to the university at full time later, like Michelle and Sasha.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Mao is in the university yet. And is great she wants to have a career but just remember, none successful figure skater attend full time school/university at the same time they are competing in the top level. No Yuna, Mao, Michelle, Sasha, Irina, I mean world champions, not Rachel Flatt or Christina Gao who never were so successful.
And they always can attend to the university at full time later, like Michelle and Sasha.
Agree, and when they usually retire at 23, it's still not too late for them to pursue academic career.

hb2010

Rinkside

Mao Asada took a year off from the university for the Olympic season.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Mao Asada took a year off from the university for the Olympic season.
Yuzuru's results at season 2012-2013 also faltered a lot (placed 4th at Worlds). He couldn't put all his mind into skating at the time since he had tons of tests to finish for his final year at high school and compulsory exam for college entrance.
So yes, it's not easy to put all your mind into both skating and academic result. Focusing only on one thing at the time is a motto for most top skaters I think.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Paul Wylie was never able to achieve much success until after he graduated from college.

Amei

Record Breaker
Polina also came 2nd at her Nationals in her first year as a senior, whereas Julia was 4th in her first Russian Nationals.

I like both girls (I'll admit my fave is Yulia) - but if you are going to try and compare first appearance at Nationals, I'd like point out:

Polina was 15 years old
Yulia was 12 years old

Barb

Record Breaker
I like both girls (I'll admit my fave is Yulia) - but if you are going to try and compare first appearance at Nationals, I'd like point out:

Polina was 15 years old
Yulia was 12 years old

I am starting to like Polina more than Yulia, but I am totally agree, compare them 12 vs 15 yo is not correct.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am starting to like Polina more than Yulia, but I am totally agree, compare them 12 vs 15 yo is not correct.

They have such different approaches I find it hard to compare them even now. I think there is room for both in the world of skating.

Lets be honest.....4th place at Russian nationals could probably challenge for 1st at US Nationals these days.

unico

Final Flight
I can't think of any lady in the current field I like as much as Edmunds, regardless of her competitive results. I think her skating is so charming and graceful. Light-footed, airy, musical, beautiful soft and attentive arms, I reeeally like her.

Selene

On the Ice
They have such different approaches I find it hard to compare them even now. I think there is room for both in the world of skating.

Lets be honest.....4th place at Russian nationals could probably challenge for 1st at US Nationals these days.

Sad but true. The Russian ladies field is so deep! Honestly, the 10th placed lady at Nationals could probably beat every US lady, save Polina ;)

Meoima

Match Penalty

Polina was 15 years old
Yulia was 12 years old
You shouldn't talk about age with CSG. He even compared Yuzuru at age 15 to Kovtun at age 18. :biggrin: according to to him, age is irrelevant when you compare 2 skaters. Lol