Amazing Race Australia vs. New Zealand | Golden Skate

Amazing Race Australia vs. New Zealand

TMC

Record Breaker
YAY! Huge AR fan here - we're just watching the Canadian edition now :biggrin:

GF2445

Record Breaker
The canadian edition is really good. The fact they did a a couple of legs outside Canada was a great change. They had great episodes in Hong Kong and Macau.
Apparently, they will be doing another international leg soon.

About this new season, many aussies have been going 'finally its back'. Last year they replaced amazing race australia with a revamped version of the mole which fell flat from day one so its great that its back.
Also since its a very clear australia vs. new zealand battle it makes it very interesting and it plays on a classic rivalry between the two nations.
Also, the race is longer, distance wise- 90,000km which is about 55,000+ miles so its a big race.

There are only 10 teams this season but it will mean more time flr character development and i dont think they are reducing the episodes. Fingers crossed someone posts videos on watchitseries .com site so people overseas can watch. If it gets on youtube you have to be fast as it will be blocked as quick as the ioc has blocked EVERY SINGLE skating video from the olympics.

TMC

Record Breaker
Thanks for the info GF2445!

This Canadian season is definitely a huge improvement to the first one. Mr TMC and I still laugh about that silly story-telling Road Block..."Amaaaaaahhhhhh--zzzinnnng!" :laugh:

GF2445

Record Breaker
The story telling one in the newfoundland leg? That was hilarious.
The tasks are certainly a step up.

I am secretly waiting for the day the race has a skating challenge. There was ashort track speed skating challenge in a past american season which was so funny to watch but a skatong challenge would be fantastic.

Also, the first episode last night (tonight for new zealanders) was so great.

TMC

Record Breaker
Loving this season already!!!

The "newlyweds" are sooo getting on my nerves as are the "feisty friends". Love the "fitness mums" and the male nurses. Did anyone else notice a pretty great strategic move in this last episode? At first we thought it was really stupid to give the count-the-monks answer away to one of the feisties, but then we realised that it's actually pretty clever to try and keep the teams that don't pose a threat so that another, more threatening team will be eliminated instead in that leg. Never seen that before in AR, at least this early, and to be fair I'm not sure if that even was the thought process behind that move. :biggrin:

Every AR season me and hubby play a little game to make it even more interesting: At the beginning we each pick the team we think is going to win. Then for each episode each has to guess 1) which team will win that episode and 2) which team will be eliminated. Twice every season you can guess that it's going to be either a non-elimination or an episode that continues on to the next one without elimination (the latter being very rare).

It's so much fun cheering for "your" team, but in addition you win a point for every correct guess. We then use those points to buy favours from the other - for one point you'd get something small, like "do the dishes". But then we can accumulate the points, and for three I could ask for a three-course dinner and 10 points (guessing the winner right gets you an automatic 10) - well that's a weekend away at least :laugh:

I've already won 6 points from the Canadian season (I picked the hockey girls to win two back-to-back episodes plus the whole thing) but just two from the Australia/NZ season (I picked the beauty queens to be eliminated first). I picked the male nurses to win the season, while husband is going with the NZ best friends team. Their mistake of not paying their ride before the pit stop cost me a point as I'd picked them to win this episode :no: but I got one anyway as I guessed that the mom/son team would go home :yes:

GF2445

Record Breaker
Yeah the strategy of befriending weaker teams to get rid of stronger teams is sort of a favourite in the Aussie version. It creates an us vs. the enemy feel.