Team Canton article (Marina Zoueva's Teams Aug 4 2014) | Golden Skate

Team Canton article (Marina Zoueva's Teams Aug 4 2014)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For those trying to keep track of Team Canton's many new dance couples, Lynn Rutherford's new IN article runs through lots of names (but does not give an exhaustive list, AFAIK). [I apologize for my original mischaracterization of the article as an overview, which it is not intended to be.]

Zoueva grooming new generation of ice dancers
Sinitsina, Katsalapov head renowned coach's restocked stable

Posted 8/4/14 by Lynn Rutherford​

snowflakebeautiful gave the link in the Programs thread :), but I thought it was worth flagging with its own thread.

Their FD has changed to "Gone With the Wind" according to this article: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/08/04/87491728

(snowflakebeautiful's post refers to Aldridge/Eaton.)

elif

Medalist
Looks like Zoueva don't know or not sure what she should give those teams, changing free dance for both A/E and S/K. What about Shibutanis?

No mention of the Shibs. The article is basically just talking about Zoueva and then only focusses on two teams: S/K and A/E. (Others are mentioned as switching to her or training there.) Granted earlier in the article it mentioned that the Shibs were away on tour.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OK, sorry ... I will edit the OP to indicate that "overview" was not the best word choice.

Although the article does not give equal attention to all couples, it does convey the sense of many couples training under the same roof.

ETA, for example: "On a recent morning, she was supervising the work of more than a dozen senior ice dance couples."​

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I have the feeling that the Shib Sibs maybe changing choreographer and maybe even coaches. No sources, just a feeling.

tulosai

Record Breaker
What happens if Davis/White comes back? They stay with Zueva?

I would certainly imagine so. In that instance I expect one or more of her 'new' couples will be tactfully 'pushed out' in just such a way that Marina comes out on top and need not pay the consequences for her questionable actions yet again.

IceVampire

Rinkside
I would certainly imagine so. In that instance I expect one or more of her 'new' couples will be tactfully 'pushed out' in just such a way that Marina comes out on top and need not pay the consequences for her questionable actions yet again.

Lmao!!!

Matt K

On the Ice

This is funny but so true :laugh::laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No mention of the Shibs. The article is basically just talking about Zoueva and then only focusses on two teams: S/K and A/E. (Others are mentioned as switching to her or training there.) Granted earlier in the article it mentioned that the Shibs were away on tour.

Another thought re the Shibutanis:
Lynn Rutherford's reporting for this article is based on a visit to the Canton rink at the time of Skate Detroit. LR understandably wanted to take make the most of her trip to Michigan -- not only attending the competition, but also pursuing unrelated skating stories.
If the Shibs had been available in Canton, I'm sure that Lynn would have been more than happy to interview them in person at length -- but her travel schedule and theirs obviously did not align. It's not as if she purposely booked a special trip to Michigan to coincide with the absence of the Shibs.​

ang709

Rinkside
Did Zueva ever work with Gordeeva and Grinkov????

Yes, though I don't remember for how long, I do remember Katia mentioning in her book about Marina working with them on their programs for the '94 Olympic year and for their exhibition based on Rodin's sculptures. Actually, the outfits Davis/White wore for their Olympic exhibition reminded me of the outfits from G&G's Rodin program.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Yes, though I don't remember for how long, I do remember Katia mentioning in her book about Marina working with them on their programs for the '94 Olympic year and for their exhibition based on Rodin's sculptures. Actually, the outfits Davis/White wore for their Olympic exhibition reminded me of the outfits from G&G's Rodin program.

Marina worked with them almost from the very beginning. She also worked with Alexander Fadeev at the end of his career. And as much as I have disliked Marina's choreography, Fadeev's Night on Bald Mountain remains one of my all-time favorite programs.

Another thought re the Shibutanis:
Lynn Rutherford's reporting for this article is based on a visit to the Canton rink at the time of Skate Detroit. LR understandably wanted to take make the most of her trip to Michigan -- not only attending the competition, but also pursuing unrelated skating stories.
If the Shibs had been available in Canton, I'm sure that Lynn would have been more than happy to interview them in person at length -- but her travel schedule and theirs obviously did not align. It's not as if she purposely booked a special trip to Michigan to coincide with the absence of the Shibs.​

Yeah, I don't think she was purposefully avoiding or not wanting to report on the Shibutanis. I was just stating that they weren't there when she was because they were on tour. I mean that stuff happens

Alba

Record Breaker
Did Zueva ever work with Gordeeva and Grinkov????

Yes she was their choreographer from 1986 or 1987. Their coach was Stanislav Leonovich

They started with Vladimir Zaharov and later, in 1985, with Stanislav Zhuk.
They raised under him and established themselves as the no. 1 pair in the world.
They were not happy though because they were very young and Zhuk was taugh and very demanding coach.
She said he put too much pressure on them. So, since they were no.1 and more powerful they asked to change the coach and went with Stanislav Leonovich, a student of Zhuk actually.

She tells the story in her docu about Sergey. This is the part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqbT6L1u2Ng