Your favorite animated films | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your favorite animated films

altuixde

On the Ice

Grave of the Fireflies is really good, but I think it's the saddest movie I've ever seen, so I can't bring myself to watch it again.

Here's my own list (in no particular order):

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
Whisper of the Heart
Ponyo
Arrietty
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Cars
Tin Toy
Jack-Jack Attack
BURN-E
Coraline
Tangled
Fantasia (1940)
Aladdin
Mulan

I might've forgotten how good some animated films are, though, so they were left off the list.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I haven't watched a lot but let's see:
- Finding Nemo
- Toy Story
- Spirited away
- Wall-e
- Howl's moving castle
- Grave of the fireflies
- oh yes Anastasia also

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Remembered 2 more:

Lady and the Tramp -- still can't eat spaghetti w/o thinking of this one!

The Sword in the Stone -- loved this as a kid, especially the sequence where Merlin begins teaching the young Arthur by turning him into various animals. Also seem to recall a scene where Merlin cleans up his workshop w/ a flick of his wand. Dang, wish I could pull that off in my apartment... :laugh:

One interesting aspect of more recent animated movies is their concentration on character development. Even if the characters are fish or machines, they seem to have an importance and an emotional heft that live-action characters often lack in modern movies. For example, I had no feeling of any character development in the Narnian movie Prince Caspian (which I mention because it's based on a favorite book of mine), whereas the monsters in Monsters, Inc. were fully dimensional beings. (And we won't even discuss all the frat-boy "comedies" that have been released lately. There are a lot of live actors onscreen in those, but no people that I can discern.)

Oh, a movie I don't think anyone has mentioned: Cars. What a great idea, and the voice actors include Paul Newman. You can't get much better than that. The quality of the animation is also stunning, with all those lovingly depicted vehicles.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I am this tempted to go all anime-nerd up in here, but I shall resist. :)

TMC

Record Breaker
this little gold nugget, just because I find it oh so funny :biggrin:

That was hilarious!!! Thank you :)

I love animated films but really haven't kept up with them over the years...

Off the top of my head, I have loved Fantasia, Cinderella, the Shrek films and also I LOVED the Asterix animations! When I was a kid, a teacher would sometimes as a treat show us one of them on VHS in class, like if it was the last day of school before summer holidays :) (Luckily no dubbing ear-bleeds since we use subtitles here!)

I remember laughing a lot when we went to see Rango, too :)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
This may not count b/c it was made for TV, but another of my animated faves is the original How the Grinch Stole Christmas. That marvelous narration by Boris Karloff! :yay: The Ron Howard version doesn't even come close for me.