Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
http://rsport.ru/figure_skating/20160511/921293951.html
Yuko has returned to the ice! :eek: According to Sasha, they have already started to skate on the ice, doing lifts, but any possible jumps and throws are excluded at this stage. Still, any specific competing plans for next season are not made yet, which will only depend on the state of Yuko's health, so that they are moving in this direction very carefully. Whether or not to appear at the Sochi Test Skate in September is still a question mark. Yesterday Yuko visited Tver, Sasha's hometown, together with him.

IMHO, both Yuko and Sasha are not in an ideal physical state to fight for the national spot next year. OK, I'd better keep my big mouth shut at this moment. Anyway, Best of Luck to them in the new season! They are real FIGHTERS! :2thumbs::cheer2:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
IMHO, both Yuko and Sasha are not in an ideal physical state to fight for the national spot next year.

I hope they eventually will be, as the season progresses. It would suck for me to miss seeing them live for the second time in a row. But naturally, health comes first... Glad to hear Yuko is feeling well enough to return to training.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Yuko and Alexander win the gold at Skate America 2014. They were magical! I hope they are able to compete again, but only if she is healthy. I felt so sad when I saw her tears (was it at the last GP Finals?). They are a wonderful team!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Any thoughts about possible song choices? I was sort of mulling Daddy Cool...
any Bony M would be fine by me
Or Rasputin in particular :laugh:

The Finn

Record Breaker
It may be just me but I think they got an excellent GP events - Skate Canada and Cup of China.

Obviously we don't know what their condition will be but I really like their chances especially since we don't know how the new chinese pairs will do.

Spiral

Final Flight
It may be just me but I think they got an excellent GP events - Skate Canada and Cup of China.

Obviously we don't know what their condition will be but I really like their chances especially since we don't know how the new chinese pairs will do.

Personally, I think TdF would have been better for them, since Savchenko/Masseau would have been easier to beat than Duhamel/Radford or Sui/Han.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Personally, I think TdF would have been better for them, since Savchenko/Masseau would have been easier to beat than Duhamel/Radford or Sui/Han.

TdF does look easier but I like the fact that T/M and Z/E are there and because of that I kind of prefer K/S not being there since they already have Skate Canada which also looks an easy event. Besides I wasn't really thinking about winning but making it to the GF final. 2nd and 2nd placement would do just that. Of course there is a chance that the new Chinese teams will do great and if that happens CoC could become the toughest event of the season.

Spiral

Final Flight
TdF does look easier but I like the fact that T/M and Z/E are there and because of that I kind of prefer K/S not being there since they already have Skate Canada which also looks an easy event. Besides I wasn't really thinking about winning but making it to the GF final. 2nd and 2nd placement would do just that. Of course there is a chance that the new Chinese teams will do great and if that happens CoC could become the toughest event of the season.

TBH, I thought their getting into GPF was practically a given. The only thing that could have stopped them would have been lack of sufficient time to prepare for the new season, but luckily it looks like this won't be a problem. My only worry now is the possibility of Yuko getting re-injured once they start doing quad throws again.

But I agree with you that Tarasova/Morozov and Zabiako/Enbert deserve their chance too (as do Astakhova/Rogonov, but unfortuately both their events look difficult).