Ice Dance Blades vs Singles Blades | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Blades vs Singles Blades

Skategmt

On the Ice
I have read that Ice Dancer's blades are one inch shorter than single's blades so they don trip over each other. Can ice dancers do jumps in these skates, or would they need to have another pair of skates. For example, Charlie White used to compete in men's singles as a junior. Did he have two pairs of skates, one for ice dance and on for his singles career or could he just use his dance blades for both? Thanks

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Yes, Charlie would need two sets of boots and blades. The Dance Blade has smaller toe picks and the tail of the blade is much shorter to prevent the partners from stepping on the back of the blade. You can do most edge jumps (Loops, Axles) with dance blades. For Toe Jumps (Lutz, Flip) you like a little more two pick than on a dance blade.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I skated both dance and freestyle at the same time and had two sets of boots, one for freestyle with with freestyle blades the other were dance boots with dance blades.

Babbette1

On the Ice
I've been told there are competitive ice dancers who use freestyle blades. Sadly, I don't know who.

Turbo-Mom

On the Ice
Occasionally you see competitors with free style blades, but not at the Junior/Senior International Level. Its usually a function of economics. Boots cost upward of $600 plus Blades $450. Then you need to mount the blades $100. Sharpening every 3 weeks is another $27. Younger skaters particularly boys outgrow boots and blades pretty fast and the used equipment market is null. Charlie would have probably had two sets of Free Style and two sets of Ice Dance if he was doing international in Free Style. Usually top level skaters have a second pair of skates that can get shipped if main set gets lost by airline.

TangoTraumatica

On the Ice
When I competed Dance and Free Style I had a separate pair of skates. And dance blades aren't just shorter than free style blades. They have shortened toepicks and are more heavily rockered, which makes them much easier to turn in (and also makes it easier to tip right off the back end of your blade). I've seen people jump in dance blades, including axels and double flips, but I personally find it very difficult.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I have started taking ice dance lessons again. I am currently at bronze level for both freestyle and dance, working on prejuvenile/juvenile/adult gold MITF (US).

When I start focusing on the Fourteenstep in a few months, will it make a difference to my fear of that cross-behind step if I get dance blades? And if so, should I plan to have a separate pair of skates with freestyle blades for any jumping and spinning I may do?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've followed our sport for nearly 40 years, and I had no idea there were different blades for dance.

You're never too old to learn!