Sarah Hughes Today | Golden Skate

Sarah Hughes Today

mzheng

Record Breaker
By the looking I don't see she'll ever bother to return to competetive skating. Even worse than Elena Soklova at the beginning of 2003/2004 season. Oh well she is the luckyst one in figure skating, every thing just worked out for her in time.

soogar

Record Breaker
http://www.dianesrink.com/sarah/gallery/sarahspics/04joshgroban.jpg

I'm not sure if this link works , but here's another one of Sarah Hughes. I don't like this blond hair on her.

I've gotta agree with Mzheng on this one: judging from the photos (though the dress didn't help in the first one), it looks as though Sarah has let herself go. Maybe she's gained the freshman 15? I don't think she really cares about skating anymore though.

Last edited:

Kateri

On the Ice
I don't think it's fair to say she's let herself go, exactly...she's just not the same shape she was at 16. Very many women get noticably bigger hips in their late teens, early 20s...it's just life! You can't tell what your genes will throw at you.
You'd have to be training really hard to fight it, and she has other priorities. Fair enough, I say.

kat....who wishes she had the hips she had at 16....

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That pink dress with the flounces is probably the least flattering outfit she could have chosen. I don't like the blond hair, either. It doesn't do anything for her.

But she's happy, and that's all that matters.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Sarah....

Sarah definitely has other priorities like college.

You don't need to be in great physical shape to become a college graduate.

Sarah is to be admired. At her young age, she knows what she wants and goes for it.

Dizzy

soogar

Record Breaker
Kateri:
It's kind of hard to tell in the pictures, but she looks like she has put on a lot of weight. I agree she couldn't keep the body she had when she was 16 b/c she looked like she was all of 110 pounds and at 5'5 that weight is too little. But here, looking at these shots, her weight might be as high as 150 though in other shots from the same concert she might be 130-135 which would be normal for her height. She's still a young girl and she can't let the weight pile on like that ( I should know about that). It also looks weird for an OGM to get so out of shape just two years after her win. It's almost like when that Miss Universe gained all that weight (one of those pageants) and the Donald made her go to a fat farm (I don't remember the whole story, I think they were talking about taking away her crown) b/c people expected to see a model thin woman.

I'm not saying that Sarah has to be model thin or even skater thin, but when an OGM looks so out of shape and goes to events celebrating athletic achievement, it doesn't feel right.

That said, if she was wearing a black dress with no ruffles, I think she would have looked a lot better.

She didn't look bad in this shot from January '04.
http://www.dianesrink.com/sarah/gallery/sarahspics/04stpaul2.html

Last edited:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
I don't think it's fair to say she's let herself go, exactly...she's just not the same shape she was at 16. Very many women get noticably bigger hips in their late teens, early 20s...it's just life! You can't tell what your genes will throw at you.
Are we looking at the same picture? I was so flabergasted (no pun intended) by her obviously bulging stomache that I didn't even notice that her hips had gotten wider.

Here's another one of Sarah's..ummm... "wider hips": http://www.dianesrink.com/sarah/gallery/sarahspics/04claykelly1.jpg
Seriously, I'm not trying to be mean, I myself fell victim to the "freshman 15". No judgement.

soogar

Record Breaker
Here's a full body shot:
http://www.dianesrink.com/sarah/gallery/sarahspics/04claykelly3.html

Again it's kind of hard to tell b/c the outfit isn't flattering. Her legs look pretty good. She could be one of those body types that puts on weight in the stomach area. Apple shaped people always look heavier than they are.

Here's another with her and an elephant :
http://www.dianesrink.com/sarah/gallery/sarahspics/04circus.html

She looks pretty hot there and has the Farrah thing going on with her hair.

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
ANYBODY's going to look thin standing next to an ELEPHANT!

The most recent picture of her is the one originally posted, in the horrid pink dress. I'd say Sarah is probably around 140-145 lbs, and I'll bet she's a little taller than 5'5" now. She's certainly not model-thin as she was during SLC, but remember, photographs do tend to add pounds.

She just needs someone to advise her on how to dress!

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Wow, I have to agree I probably wouldn't have recognized Sarah in these pictures! She has definitely gained a few pounds, which is fine, I guess, since she's no longer skating.

It doesn't really surprise me. Sarah was never as thin as a lot of skaters. She's big-boned and has always had wide hips (even when she was in competitive shape). Plus, she is considerably taller than many skaters. She always struck me as someone who would probably tend to put on weight if she weren't actively working out a lot.

I think she looks fine, but I don't like the blond hair. I prefer her hair the way it was at the Olympics--brunette with red and blond highlights. But she's young, so she probably wants to experiment.

Gardenkitty

Rinkside
Anyone is going to gain weight if they've been exercising for 3-4 hours a day (or more) and then stop. She is pursuing other priorities now and hasn't been skating in quite some time. I'm sure if she decides she wants to skate and starts training again, she'll get into shape quickly enough, although as someone pointed out, it won't necessarily be the same shape she had at 16.

Linny

Final Flight
Advice

Another poster suggested that she get some advice on how to dress... well, she spent a good portion of her adolescence under a microscope. I'll bet she got advice until it came out her ears. Now, she probably just wants to look like any other college student. If that means goofy hair and less than flattering outfits, well, walk around a campus lately? How about the other students posing with Kelly and Clay - were they wearing flattering outfits?

If Sarah were reading, I'd say "Sarah - you go girl! Be yourself!"

Linny

Longhornliz

Final Flight
As a college student, I can say that it is a period when almost everyone lets themselves go. Even if you dont gain weight and still remain active (which I try to do) you definately quit caring about your hair and what you are wearing. I wear PJ's to school almost everyday, its a big deal if i put mascara on. I think its just a natural way of being as grungy and rebelious as you can be before you are stuck in a suit and heels everyday till you are 60.

She looks like she could hit the gym though.... I bet its hard to maintain physical shape when she probably doesnt have much access to ice time. I bet since she was training so hard that she never really had to do other cardio, it might be hard for her to transition from sport based exercise into boring treadmill and weights.

euterpe

Medalist
Linny: "Another poster suggested that she get some advice on how to dress... well, she spent a good portion of her adolescence under a microscope. I'll bet she got advice until it came out her ears. Now, she probably just wants to look like any other college student. "

Come on, now Linny. Look at the picture in the original post. No self-respecting college student would mop the floor with that pink thing, let alone wear it! It looks like something my mother would have worn to clean house in.

soogar

Record Breaker
euterpe:
Maybe her mother made her wear that dress to cover her body. She's dressed quite sexy at the concert and for the elephant.

The other girls in the picture looked pretty respectable. What makes the outfit bad (in the concert photo) is how the shirt is gaping at her waist and the pleated skirt. I'm not one to poke fun at her weight b/c I'm not a twig either but you have to dress to match your figure and if she is heavier , she shouldn't dress in a way that accentuates her figure flaws. Sexy outfits always make a chubby girl (or bigger boned person) look like she is fatter than she really is.

The pink dress was horrible in the way it clung to her waist.

Kateri

On the Ice
soogar said:
euterpe:
Maybe her mother made her wear that dress to cover her body. She's dressed quite sexy at the concert and for the elephant.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For the elephant???

kat, feeling silly.