Robin Williams Dies At 63 (apparent suicide) | Golden Skate

Robin Williams Dies At 63 (apparent suicide)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
He was a favorite of mine all the way back to Mork & Mindy.

He will be very much missed.

His wife Susan has asked people to focus on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions of people rather than the manner of his death, and she and the family request privacy to grieve.

Last edited:

lbc2138

On the Ice
As someone who doesn't really care for American celebrities, this news hit me hard.

I had just seen the trailer of the Night of the Museum movie that has him as Theodore Roosevelt. Given the series is probably overstretched, he was still one of my favorite characters in the series.

And he made up so much of my childhood... Aladdin, Blubber, Jumanji, and Mrs. Doubtfire to name a few.

I hope he R.I.P. and his family will be in my prayers.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
According to his Wiki, he had a bit part as Mork in Happy Days, and they spun it off into Mork and Mindy, so yes, it was his first big break.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've been reading the comments section of The Hollywood Reporter's news story of his death. Some of the comments are just beyond the pale. I think it took all of three minutes before people started posting about liberals, Obamacare, Hell fire and damnation. Lovely world we live in.

WHAT?!!!!

I am completely shocked. This is such a calamity for his family. What demons must have been eating at him to cause him to do this?

He was such a significant part of American entertainment, and deservedly so. He could be funny, he could do drama, he could play characters or just be "manic Robin." He was as riveting ad lib as he was with a good script. And, of course, he had a family, including children. He was also a good friend to Christopher Reeve at the lowest moment in Reeve's life, when he was completely immobilized by the spinal injury. I only wish he had been able to take as much pleasure from his life as he gave so many of us throughout it. God rest his soul.

BusyMom

Medalist

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
This is such sad news :(, I love many of his movies, and it's so sad that he made me smile several times but he was in a lot of pain, Rest In Peace

ayarose

On the Ice
As someone who doesn't really care for American celebrities, this news hit me hard.

And he made up so much of my childhood... Aladdin, Blubber, Jumanji, and Mrs. Doubtfire to name a few.

I hope he R.I.P. and his family will be in my prayers.

And Dead Poet Society too. I loved a lot of his films and guestings, the entertainment world lost someone great. And now I'm crying again.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Unbelievable -- I feel as if I'd lost a member of my own family.

It breaks my heart to think that a comic genius like Robin Williams, who brought so much laughter to so many, was himself in so much pain that he couldn't find a reason to go on living. Rest well, Robin. I hope your sweet soul finds peace and that your family will be comforted by memories of the good times.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
This is the first death of someone I don't know that's really, really broken my heart. I adored him growing up and can't believe we won't be seeing any more of him.

What demons must have been eating at him to cause him to do this?

He has been pretty open about his struggles with depression and substance abuse. In the midst of that, sometimes there are not easily identifiable demons, sometimes there are no particular people or events in his life to point to. Mental illnesses can be terrible, terrible diseases for people to suffer through, and both causes and treatments are complex and still being researched. I only hope that people with depression can recognize that it CAN get better - that they have some hope - and that people without a mental illness can recognize that these are real diseases that are not character flaws, moral failings, or things that people can just snap out of.

humbaba

Final Flight
I only hope that people with depression can recognize that it CAN get better - that they have some hope - and that people without a mental illness can recognize that these are real diseases that are not character flaws, moral failings, or things that people can just snap out of.

:thumbsup:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was watching Aladdin yesterday, and laughing my backside off at the Genie. He had a rare gift.

:cry:

heyang

Record Breaker
I was shocked when I saw the news. It seemed like he was on the cusp of a 2nd wave of work that would've made him more known to the current generation. He was such a talented man. May he RIP.

Alba

Record Breaker
Shock is the right word. I just could not believe it.
Two weeks ago I was watching him at Graham Norton show, on youtube. I feel really sad.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I was woken up by my mother texting me about this unfortunate news :no: When I think of how many movies I have in the living room starring him... He was a joy to watch.

alebi

Medalist
I can't believe it, it isn't true, isn't it? An artist can't die, he belongs to eternity.
One of the saddest news I've always read :cry:

this one is for your wonderful life <3

That you are here
that life exists and identity,
That the powerful play goes on,
and you may contribute a verse. (W.W.)

and this one is for this sad moment...

The ship is anchor'd safe and sound,
its voyage closed and done,
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead. (W.W.)

GF2445

Record Breaker
"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world"

Rest in peace Robin Williams and thankyou for the laughs.