World's highest paid female athletes 2014 | Golden Skate

World's highest paid female athletes 2014

MiRé

Match Penalty
#4 Kim Yuna
Total earnings: $16.3 million
Prize money: $300,000
Endorsements: $16 million

Kim won silver at the Sochi Olympics in February, although many felt she deserved the gold. The Olympics marked the end of Queen Yuna's competitive skating career. She never finished off the podium in a competition during her career. Kim continues to be an endorsement star and is one of the biggest celebrities in Korea. She added a deal with SK Telecom this year and has more than a dozen corporate partners.

original article

Yuna moved up from #6 to #4 in 2014. Surprised to see her prize money is just $300K, and also surprised how much money tennis players make :jaw:

Krislite

Medalist
The Sochi Olympics got her a lot of added sponsorship/partnerships, so next year's figure will probably drop quite a bit. It may sound puny, but $300,000 from such few competitions is pretty good! I didn't know she could get that much from only Sochi + Korean Nats + Golden Spin (probably includes more than the official prizes).

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I've always wondered why the top-paid female athletes are usually the tennis players.. :eek:hwell:

Crystallize

On the Ice
Tennis players are killing it! :eek: But I'm actually curious as to how accurate Forbes is. I've seen some salaries in the past that didn't quite match with other sources. Is Forbes considered the most trustworthy source?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
The Sochi Olympics got her a lot of added sponsorship/partnerships, so next year's figure will probably drop quite a bit. It may sound puny, but $300,000 from such few competitions is pretty good! I didn't know she could get that much from only Sochi + Korean Nats + Golden Spin (probably includes more than the official prizes).

Actually if you work out the Maths, the $300k estimate is likely to be the TOTAL prize money she has ever accumulated by being the most successful COP skater ever during the whole course of her entire career - even never been off the podium. Plus approx 1/3rd goes to her federation?

Today's prize money for major competitions
A WC Gold for singles = $45k, 2nd= $27k, 3rd = $18k
Winning GPF = $25k, 2nd = $18k, 3rd = $12k

2x WC Gold = $90k
2X WC Silver = $54k
2 X WC Bronze = $36k
3 x GPF Gold = $75k
1 x GPF Silver = $18k

Together < $300k

Do they get money for winning Olympics?
Sad state of the sport isn't it?

What about the money Yuna gets for her skating shows? Does that count in the $300,000 "prizes" or the 16 million in "endorsements?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
What about the money Yuna gets for her skating shows? Does that count in the $300,000 "prizes" or the 16 million in "endorsements?

There should be a third listing- business ventures :yes:

caelum

On the Ice
Tennis players are killing it! :eek: But I'm actually curious as to how accurate Forbes is. I've seen some salaries in the past that didn't quite match with other sources. Is Forbes considered the most trustworthy source?

It's hard to know how accurate these are, but if you look at their methodologies, they are, at best, ball park figures. I wouldn't be surprised to see if they were off by 20% or more.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
No doubt Yuna is the richest in skating world, but I also think she is the richest among winter athletes, not only female but male as well. Maybe Shaun White at the close second, but anyone else just far behind.

I'm not sure about prize money, it's sound high for me, lol. But endoresment deal may trustworthy, because after Olympic she has renewed ALL her contract with even higher payment (increased about 100.000$ so total over 1,2mil$ per) and signed new contract with atleast one major brand. Her sponsors now are over 10 companies.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
The Sochi Olympics got her a lot of added sponsorship/partnerships, so next year's figure will probably drop quite a bit.
Nope, actually the Olympic got her not more than her usual earning. Most of recently sponsors are with her in several yeas, not just Sochi. For example, Samsung from 2008 till now, Korea Airline from 2009 till now, Korea biggest financial group named Kookmin with her from 2007 till now ... others at least since 2011.

cooper

Medalist
i doubt this is accurate.. i'm not saying yuna earns more or less.. but i doubt FORBES' credibility.. and i don't think athletes even celebrities will allow anyone to know or disclose their financial situation.. there's always a fear of taxing authorities etc.. lol.. :laugh:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
i doubt this is accurate.. i'm not saying yuna earns more or less.. but i doubt FORBES' credibility.. and i don't think athletes even celebrities will allow anyone to know or disclose their financial situation.. there's always a fear of taxing authorities etc.. lol.. :laugh:
When I read the news I believe Forbes do quite a search from Korean outlets. They even right about SK company hired so many first rank actors to help Yuna, lol.

In Korea celebrities earning/payment are published by media and the company hired them. Of course it's may not totally true, but it's close enough.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Who do you think the second-highest-paid skater is? Mao? :think:
Mao or Plushenko. I heard somewhere that Plushenko yearly earning was around $4 million last year, and Mao was around $3 million in 2010. Not sure about now since they are not listed in any top.

In Japan, Daisuke has the biggest fanbase but I believe in general public his name is less valuable than Mao. Hanyu is still a young star. Other female skater not comparable for sure. In Russia Plushenko no doubt. Behind them probaly Carolina, Lambiel or several pro skaters.

starlight97

Final Flight
Very interesting!
Crazy.. the amount of things Yuna advertises!
Someone once said: "In South Korea there is Yuna....behind her is Yuna...and then somewhere, there comes the president" :D
Does Mao do a lot of advertisements as well? Or maybe Adelina or Yulia after winning the Olympics/ becoming Russia's darling?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very interesting!
Crazy.. the amount of things Yuna advertises!
Someone once said: "In South Korea there is Yuna....behind her is Yuna...and then somewhere, there comes the president" :D
Does Mao do a lot of advertisements as well? Or maybe Adelina or Yulia after winning the Olympics/ becoming Russia's darling?

Yulia is not even in the ballpark and its been my understanding that Russian atheletes don't get great endorsements at home. She did however have a very successful year for a 15 yr old figure skater. I think she won in the neighborhood of $75,000 from her competitions and then the Russian government gave her a check for $120,000 and helped get her a free apartment that she now owns free of charge for winning a Gold medal. Oh yeah and a Mercedes SUV. Not bad and good on Russia for suppporting their figure skaters.

As an interesting side note...Forbes put out an article in Febuary claiming that if she were to move to America to train that she would make in the neighborhood of 55million dollars. Make of that what you will. I'm not buying it but I'd love to see how they would plan to market a Russian firecracker who speaks no English and uses very short and direct Russian as little as possible. I mean sure I'd buy her stuff but I'm not a typical American in almost every way.