World's highest paid female athletes 2014 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

World's highest paid female athletes 2014

nguyenghita

On the Ice
As an interesting side note...Forbes put out an article in Febuary claiming that if she were to move to America to train that she would make in the neighborhood of 55million dollars. Make of that what you will. I'm not buying it but I'd love to see how they would plan to market a Russian firecracker who speaks no English and uses very short and direct Russian as little as possible. I mean sure I'd buy her stuff but I'm not a typical American in almost every way.
It's fun, lol.

But Yulia was really one of the biggest phenom going to the Sochi, so that kind of hype article not totally nonsense anyway. Imagine how big Yuna is if she's American, lol :laugh:

starlight97

Final Flight
$75,000?? Wow, I think this really isn't a lot! In the normal world yes, but considering that she won Euros, won her GPevents, second in GPF and nationals. .. Gold in team event...I would have thought it was much more.
I think that's because it's public knowledge here that EVERY(the ones on the bench too) player who was part of the football world cup team got 300,000€ for winning the world cup(€ also being worth more than $) PLUS their normal yearly earnings of about 10million €....
And considering this and what other athletes in other sports earn.. I think money made in figure skating only, without advertisements and so on, is a lot of money on it's own, but it isn't in comparison to other sports

unico

Final Flight
I think I agree with either Asada and Plushenko as being 2nd/3rd. Didn't Plushenko have a fancy pants wrist watch named after him?

Kurt Browning always mentions the "Find Mao" game he plays in Japan with other skaters in which they would go into any store of any kind and the first one to find a product/picture of Asada would win. He says they would, without fail, always manage to find her. :laugh:

BusyMom

Medalist
Singapore award their athletes who win them gold medals in OG USD1million each. Might be a good option for skaters who think about changing country.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Mao or Plushenko. I heard somewhere that Plushenko yearly earning was around $4 million last year..

too much..

Plushenko is on the Forbes's list since 2007: http://www.forbes.ru/rating/50-zvezd/2007

2007: 1,4 million $
2008: 1,3 million $
2009: 1 million
2010: 1,6 million
2011: 1,4 million
2012: 1,5 million
2013: 2,5 million
2014: 2,8 million

Plus Sasha-Plushy's son- is "the face" of R.O.C.S. company. Total fee for the whole family is around a million dollar. 18 month-old Sasha Plushenko will be the first child in Russia with international advertising contract. They finished the shooting yesterday.

Not bad, I think. I'd give more money for all skaters. They really deserve it.

Alain

Match Penalty
then the Russian government gave her a check for $120,000 and helped get her a free apartment that she now owns free of charge for winning a Gold medal.
:confused: Are you sure it was the Russian government? Did all Olympc champions get a check for $120,000 and a free apartment to own? That would be strange to see the government to be so selective.

As for being rich or poor by Forbes, it often comes not just to the sport but to the country and what its laws allow.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I heard that too but I think the second Yuna is Yoona from SNSD. http://pic.pimg.tw/jojoj7789/1355679921-2552258439.jpg
First, Yoona is an idol singer, the lowest level while Yuna on the top level in Korea entertaiment industry. She is beautiful, has good personality, bright/clean image, well mannered, good dancer, average singer/actress, that's it. Compare her to Yuna is nothing but laughable.

And second, Yoona is not second Yuna, simply because she also passed her peak popularity anyway, she was much more popular in 2009-2010 years, not now.

unico

Final Flight
Not bad, I think. I'd give more money for all skaters. They really deserve it.

It's disheartening that the market has really dried up everywhere besides Japan, unless if you reach super stardom like Kim or Plushenko in your home country.

I happened to catch a professional dart competition yesterday, and no offense to anyone here who likes professional darts (darting?), but the unexpectedly MASSIVE size of the audience made me feel a bit sad. FS really is suffering from a bit of cultural irrelevance.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
It's disheartening that the market has really dried up everywhere besides Japan, unless if you reach super stardom like Kim or Plushenko in your home country.

I happened to catch a professional dart competition yesterday, and no offense to anyone here who likes professional darts (darting?), but the unexpectedly MASSIVE size of the audience made me feel a bit sad. FS really is suffering from a bit of cultural irrelevance.

Yes, I also think the problem is the unpopularity of the FS. If any sport is popular it has great stars...great stars-good advertising contracts.

BusyMom

Medalist
First, Yoona is an idol singer, the lowest level while Yuna on the top level in Korea entertaiment industry. She is beautiful, has good personality, bright/clean image, well mannered, good dancer, average singer/actress, that's it. Compare her to Yuna is nothing but laughable.

And second, Yoona is not second Yuna, simply because she also passed her peak popularity anyway, she was much more popular in 2009-2010 years, not now.
First of all, I'm not a K-Pop fan. I said I heard from someone who happen to be Korean kid skating at my rink. I guess since she worships Yuna Kim I believe your laughable is questionable. Anyway this quote is not at all the comparison between those two. It shows how big Yuna is in Korea. And also Yoona is just there to emphasis the unpopularity of the President.

I believe half of the Koreans would have a different opinion on Yoona being the lowest of them all too.

Yuna Kim is a Legend already. You don't have to be sensitive about everything news around her. It won't change her status. She is untouchable just being herself(beauty/good character and kind heart).

nguyenghita

On the Ice
First of all, I'm not a K-Pop fan. I said I heard from someone who happen to be Korean kid skating at my rink. I guess since she worships Yuna Kim I believe your laughable is questionable. Anyway this quote is not at all the comparison between those two. It shows how big Yuna is in Korea. And also Yoona is just there to emphasis the unpopularity of the President.

I believe half of the Koreans would have a different opinion on Yoona being the lowest of them all too.

Yuna Kim is a Legend already. You don't have to be sensitive about everything news around her. It won't change her status. She is untouchable just being herself(beauty/good character and kind heart).
Hm, I didn't say you are Kpop fan, I'm Kpop fan.

And nope, I just happend to follow Kpop/Kbiz (even more than skating) so I know about that "level" thing, I just simply stated the fact, not sensitive anyway. Believe it or not, the "level" judge is super strong there, you don't need to bold my sentences.

Yoona is very famous, I didn't say she is the lowest, I said idol singer is the lowest level. She is the top among them for sure. The "level" works like this, usually people will praised you, but if you do something wrong, even just a small mistake, they will bash you like a trash. Or if you dating an actors/actress/famous athletes who they consider on "higher level", you are dead meat.

cooper

Medalist
nguyenghita.. just calm down..

tennis is the most popular sport for women.. golf is probably second.. figure skating is not a sport according to the mainstream audience/media..

BusyMom

Medalist
you don't need to bold my sentences.
I DID need to but not in a bad way, just to relate my answer. ;) Your post is pretty wrong but I don't want to cut it short it's interesting POV.

Anyway, your view on the level thing is exactly why I said that the whole point is to degrade the President not degrade Yuna Kim.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Anyway, your view on the level thing is exactly why I said that the whole point is to degrade the President not degrade Yuna Kim.
I don't understand your "president" point? It's totally exaggerated comparison if you or anyone said Yuna is bigger/more famous ... than the president. I'm probaly sensitive about Yuna but not that blind love, lol.

BusyMom

Medalist
I don't understand your "president" point? It's totally exaggerated comparison if you or anyone said Yuna is bigger/more famous ... than the president. I'm probaly sensitive about Yuna but not that blind love, lol.
I guess we even here. I don't get your point either. :biggrin:

chloec

Rinkside
I guess no one here why Kim became so rich although she is a figure skater not tennis player. 1) She has a huge fandom and many of them spent a lot of years watching Kim grown up. One of her fan drew a fan pic about Truman Show's last scene as Kim an actress not Jim Carrey LINK 2) She is a very humble person. This is a kind of key for everyone to be famous in Korea. 3) She spent wise. She and her agency supports a lot of athletes from minor fields such as Bobsleigh and figure skating of course. This should be a job for KSU but as people all know there is only one sports union in Korea who support their own athletes and that is Korea Archery Association. and she donates a lot as we all know.

Don't get me wrong. Kim also has quite a lot of haters but they usually have no grounds and that somehow makes more people want to be Kim's fan. LOL

chloepoco

Medalist

No, really? Whodathunkit?

Do they get money for winning Olympics?

South Korean athletes do get prize money from the government/their olympic committee if they win olympic medals but the prizes are modest.

In 2010, they got $35k for gold, $17k for silver and $10k for bronze so less than most other developed countries gave out.

:confused: Are you sure it was the Russian government? Did all Olympc champions get a check for $120,000 and a free apartment to own? That would be strange to see the government to be so selective.

At 2014 Olympics, Russia had the highest prize money total given out of all countries. There were countries which had higher cash prizes but they didn't have anywhere as many medallists (as noted before, Singapore offered 1 million dollars for a gold medal but it hasn't won one yet). I found somewhere that Georgia had the highest prizes with their gold medallist getting 1,2 million dollars, but couldn't confirm that anywhere (it's possible given the current president of Georgia is a multi-millionaire).

Russian gold medallists got $120k each and a Mercedes GL SUV, silver medallists $76k and a Mercedes ML and bronze medallists got $52k and a Mercedes GLK.

As for the apartments, high level Russian skaters usually get an apartment (to live in for free, not to own) from their local authority.