World's highest paid female athletes 2014 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

World's highest paid female athletes 2014

starlight97

Final Flight
Ok since I posted this quote about Yuna and the president and so on:
It was simply said by someone to STRESS (by exaggerating maybe) just how popular Yuna is. And since normally the president should be the best known person in a country they jokingly said:

"In South Korea, there is Yuna.... then there's Yuna (not any singer but the same Yuna Kim again, to stress how far the distance to the second most popular person is)... and then there's the president ( a possible exaggeration to show how popular she is) "

It is a compliment to her voiced in a humorous manner. Nothing more or less, no big deal ;)

chloec

Rinkside
South Korean athletes do get prize money from the government/their olympic committee if they win olympic medals but the prizes are modest.

SK gets 30% of prize money and give 70% to skaters. Nothing else.

Krislite

Medalist
Actually if you work out the Maths, the $300k estimate is likely to be the TOTAL prize money she has ever accumulated by being the most successful COP skater ever during the whole course of her entire career - even never been off the podium. Plus approx 1/3rd goes to her federation?

Today's prize money for major competitions
A WC Gold for singles = $45k, 2nd= $27k, 3rd = $18k
Winning GPF = $25k, 2nd = $18k, 3rd = $12k

2x WC Gold = $90k
2X WC Silver = $54k
2 X WC Bronze = $36k
3 x GPF Gold = $75k
1 x GPF Silver = $18k

Together < $300k

Do they get money for winning Olympics?
Sad state of the sport isn't it?

The "prize" money apparently includes prizes from the South Korean government for her winnings, so it includes more than official ISU prizes.

chloec

Rinkside
The "prize" money apparently includes prizes from the South Korean government for her winnings, so it includes more than official ISU prizes.

There is no such thing in Korea as far as I know. KSU or KOC doesn't give anything to athletes except the official training link and travel expense for competitions. and Kim had donated her prize money since 2007.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
There is no such thing in Korea as far as I know. KSU or KOC doesn't give anything to athletes except the official training link and travel expense for competitions. and Kim had donated her prize money since 2007.

I think Ziggy probably refers to the prize money from the Korean Government not KSU. Most government reward their own athletes on Olympic achievements. (If KSU take 30% Of that... well then that seems ridiculous.)

I am just sad for the sport. What kind of message are they sending out with these sort of prize money. The prize money hasn't changed for years but has the federations got bigger? Or their contributions? Imagine 1 less employee, perm to temp can translate to $$$ to the prize pool.

Budding young skaters everywhere (exclude Singapore & Russia, $120k + apartment + Mercedes pretty ace), hang up your skate now. Why bother work your butt off, give up normal schooling, a proper childhood while break family bank in the process chasing this dream of political improbability. You are better off having a child hood, save some money, and become AN ISU SKATING OFFICIAL!!! Or work for your SKATING FEDERATION... how about become a JUDGE! I bet there are much more $$$, perks, bonuses and you will get treated better than if you are a skater.

chloec

Rinkside
I think Ziggy probably refers to the prize money from the Korean Government not KSU. Most government reward their own athletes on Olympic achievements. (If KSU take 30% Of that... well then that seems ridiculous.)

I totally forgot about Olympic prizes. My bad. Gold is $60,000 and Silver is $30,000. Athletes with Olympic gold medal gets $1,000 per month for the rest of their lives and silver worth $750 per month.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Budding young skaters everywhere (exclude Singapore & Russia, $120k + apartment + Mercedes pretty ace), hang up your skate now. Why bother work your butt off, give up normal schooling, a proper childhood while break family bank in the process chasing this dream of political improbability.

It could be worse. It was reported here that a Swiss skier who got a Gold medal recieved A PIG from the Swiss government :laugh:

Alba

Record Breaker

I am just sad for the sport. What kind of message are they sending out with these sort of prize money. The prize money hasn't changed for years but has the federations got bigger? Or their contributions? Imagine 1 less employee, perm to temp can translate to $$$ to the prize pool.

Budding young skaters everywhere (exclude Singapore & Russia, $120k + apartment + Mercedes pretty ace), hang up your skate now. Why bother work your butt off, give up normal schooling, a proper childhood while break family bank in the process chasing this dream of political improbability. You are better off having a child hood, save some money, and become AN ISU SKATING OFFICIAL!!! Or work for your SKATING FEDERATION... how about become a JUDGE! I bet there are much more $$$, perks, bonuses and you will get treated better than if you are a skater.

I agree. Although I don't think judges are paid better, on the contrary. I think some are also like volunteers?

cooper

Medalist
because figure skating doesn't have a professional league or competition when those skaters are retired from competing.. the idea of having a professional league/competition will put speedy on a paranoia alert..

nguyenghita

On the Ice
are there any other fugure skaters in the top 100??
Instead you must ask: are there any winter athlete in that top?

Look at the earning, it show our sport suck at reward :mad:

For example:

1. Floyd Mayweather – Boxing

Total Earning: 105 Million USD
Earning Via Salary/Winnings: 105 Million USD
Earning Via Endorsements: 0

Imagine the best skater win everything in the Olympic season (it's mean including Olympic, Worlds, GPs ...) how much she/he could possibly get? OMG, that $105 million :eek:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Anecdotal comparisons re tennis vs. figure skating, in terms of prize money:

Figure skating (2014 Worlds):
Winning the whole shebang (men or ladies) was worth US$ 45,000.
The entire purse for all four disciplines was $710,000. Those placing first thru twelfth receive prize money.
http://static.isu.org/media/148356/wfsc_2014_preview.pdf

Tennis (men or women at the 2014 US Open):
Reaching the first round was worth $35,754. The first round has 128 men and 128 women.
Reaching the second round was worth $60,420. The second round has 64 men and 64 women.
Reaching the semifinals is worth $730,000.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/about/history/prizemoney.html

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
^^^^^ And the reason is obvious - just look at the crowd at the recent JGP in Lyublyana, well, at the lack of the crowd - 50 or 100 people at most. Then think of 3 sportsmen per country limit. Is there such a limit at US Open? The concept is noble - bring FS to as many countries as possible. Then we have to watch Yasmina from Marocco (4 points score for her SP in Courchavel). And then we have to get ready for the different financial outcome. The alternative? Give more weight to those who not only can but also care. For example, to Russia. My family visited today Averbukh's ice show in Sochi. It runs every day since July and today after 2 months there were still thousands of spectators. FS is more and more popular in Russia, same, I guess, in Japan, Korea. A JGP event in Moscow or Sochi, for example, would surely bring thousands of people and, hence, money - there's none. Letting participate those with the highest standings without country limits would push the competion and make the events much more interesting to watch (hence, more sellable to TV). I would just leave the limit for Olympics. It could be possible to introduce regular team competions in parallel (like Davis cup in tennis) at the world level. Here the variety of skaters would be much wider. To make things more interesting one could forbid to participate top 10 skaters in the team events.

These are just some "crazy ideas". But leaving the things as they are will never make it possible for FS to start to play in the same money area as tennis.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^^^^^ And the reason is obvious - just look at the crowd at the recent JGP in Lyublyana, well, at the lack of the crowd - 50 or 100 people at most. ... The concept is noble - bring FS to as many countries as possible. Then we have to watch Yasmina from Marocco (4 points score for her SP in Courchavel). ...

Yasmina El Harim gave two of my favorite performances at JGP Courchevel. :yes: It was a privilege to watch her make history for her country. :bow:
(My other two favorites were from Edwards/Pang.)

Based on your post above, I'm wondering whether Russia would like to take a turn at hosting World Team Trophy (and bearing all of its expenses).

ETA:
I don't know whether tennis has international tournaments at the junior level.
But for U.S. tennis tournaments for 18-and-unders, would not surprise me if most of the audience consists of family and friends of competitors.​

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Yasmina El Harim gave two of my favorite performances at JGP Courchevel. :yes: It was a privilege to watch her make history for her country. :bow:
(My other two favorites were from Edwards/Pang.)

Based on your post above, I'm wondering whether Russia would like to take a turn at hosting World Team Trophy (and bearing all of its expenses).

ETA:
I don't know whether tennis has international tournaments at the junior level.
But for U.S. tennis tournaments for 18-and-unders, would not surprise me if most of the audience consists of family and friends of competitors.​

May be it was fun to watch Yasmina for the first time just "to make the history". I am not sure that the second time would be the same unless someone would just want to make some laughs.

As for my points I do not stand for any specific idea - it's just the overall direction. The most stupid but in fact the most realistic advice to counter measure "the problem with the Russian talent in ladies" is for many of them to change their nations. Would not it be easier and better for the sport to let them compete as they are - the girls from Russia, same as the boys from Japan?

I would not compare junior national tournaments to international grand prix series. I am certain that there are no spectators outside family members at the russian junior events as well.

And I cannot speak for the whole Russia and have no idea if Russia would like to bear the costs of World Team Trophy. But everyone knows we paid 50 billion dollars for the Sochi Olympics and are ready to pay god knows what for the World Cup (my best sanction against Russia would be to deprive us of this Cup). Then it is not the question of any specific event - it is the matter of overall direction.

Alba

Record Breaker
May be it was fun to watch Yasmina for the first time just "to make the history". I am not sure that the second time would be the same unless someone would just want to make some laughs.

As for my points I do not stand for any specific idea - it's just the overall direction. The most stupid but in fact the most realistic advice to counter measure "the problem with the Russian talent in ladies" is for many of them to change their nations. Would not it be easier and better for the sport to let them compete as they are - the girls from Russia, same as the boys from Japan?

I would not compare junior national tournaments to international grand prix series. I am certain that there are no spectators outside family members at the russian junior events as well.

And I cannot speak for the whole Russia and have no idea if Russia would like to bear the costs of World Team Trophy. But everyone knows we paid 50 billion dollars for the Sochi Olympics and are ready to pay god knows what for the World Cup (my best sanction against Russia would be to deprive us from this Cup). Then it is not the question of any specific event - it is the matter of overall direction.

I completely agree.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I am not sure that the second time would be the same unless someone would just want to make some laughs. ...

Makes me sad to think that any supposed fan of figure skating would laugh at anyone who is making an honest effort and advancing the sport in her/his country every time s/he takes the ice.

... A JGP event in Moscow or Sochi, for example, would surely bring thousands of people and, hence, money - there's none. ..

... Then it is not the question of any specific event - it is the matter of overall direction.

Your previous reference to the idea of a JGP in Moscow or Sochi (as an example of a specific event ;)) is what led to my question about WTT.