World's highest paid female athletes 2014 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World's highest paid female athletes 2014

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
^^^^^That was not my point to ridicule Yasmine. But following up the tennis analogue you would not expect a person who just took a tennis racket a couple of months or even years ago to participate on ATP tour. Then it makes sometimes fun to watch even the games between seeds and ready to give it all qualifiers. If we have competitive sports and want the best of the best to participate like it happens in tennis - this is one situation. If we continue to support what I would name "we are the world - we are the children" - it is another one. In the second situation there will be never comparable money - there is always more money in the capitalism than in the communism.

I just made the example of Lyubljana as of much less obvious choice for JGP than Moscow. I bet that hosting this event in the country which cares for FS would make more sense than in an arbitrary one - at least in terms of much bigger crowd. And TV follows the crowds and the money follows TV. As for WTT, it takes place in Japan - then I see no point to discuss it further - it would be if the location were in Morocco.

Alba

Record Breaker
Makes me sad to think that any supposed fan of figure skating would laugh at anyone who is making an honest effort and advancing the sport in her/his country every time s/he takes the ice.

Might not sound politically correct but it's simply the truth.
No one said that we would laugh, simply not care about it. I appreciate her efforts, and she is entitled to her dreams, but it's not that I love FS - as a competitive sport - watching her, or anyone else, who's that weak.
This goes for all kind of competitive sports, not just FS.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
So many of the skaters are doing so little to advance their sport. It is no wonder there is relatively little in the way of money.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
May be it was fun to watch Yasmina for the first time just "to make the history". I am not sure that the second time would be the same unless someone would just want to make some laughs. ...

Might not sound politically correct but it's simply the truth.
No one said that we would laugh ....

For the record, samkrut's post above used the word "laughs" ... that is why my subsequent post did too.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
No doubt Yuna is the richest in skating world, but I also think she is the richest among winter athletes, not only female but male as well. Maybe Shaun White at the close second, but anyone else just far behind.

I'm not sure about prize money, it's sound high for me, lol. But endoresment deal may trustworthy, because after Olympic she has renewed ALL her contract with even higher payment (increased about 100.000$ so total over 1,2mil$ per) and signed new contract with atleast one major brand. Her sponsors now are over 10 companies.
what about hockey players????

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mao or Plushenko. I heard somewhere that Plushenko yearly earning was around $4 million last year, and Mao was around $3 million in 2010. Not sure about now since they are not listed in any top.

In Japan, Daisuke has the biggest fanbase but I believe in general public his name is less valuable than Mao. Hanyu is still a young star. Other female skater not comparable for sure. In Russia Plushenko no doubt. Behind them probaly Carolina, Lambiel or several pro skaters.

In skating, women are valued more than men. A lot more interest in women's singles skating than men's. Right or wrong, i was reading the stigma of men in skating makes it harder to sell them for the macho image ie cigarettes, liquor, men' personal grooming items. As one, marketing expert says there are only so many men who will wear fur coats ala Johnny Weir. I do think that is harsh and one wouldhope we are a more mature society. But I guess people are people.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Another thing is that unlike, say, tennis too much power rests with federations. And federations do not need stars-millionaires. I withdraw my idea to place as many international competitions in Russia as possible. Not until we have someone like Averbukh as the head of the russian federation. And he will not make it - too many powerful enemies. The reason of my skepticism is simple. We still have an impulse from the Olympics - people watch FS. I was at the show in Moscow - no empty seats - yesterday the show in Sochi - thousands of spectators and the tickets are not cheap. We have a megastar Yulia, olympic champ Adelina, double junior champ Elena - all meeting each other for the first time after they received their trophies at the Russian nationals. With Pogo and kicking serious butt youngsters we have there arguably one of the main events of the season in ladies. Such an opportunity to make a lot of noize and....the federation places the competition in Saransk - a small city about 700 km from Moscow known best for our champs in walking. Why do the do it? I guess, they either do not care or think it's been too much hype already.

Alba

Record Breaker
For the record, samkrut's post above used the word "laughs" ... that is why my subsequent post did too.

I thought it was clear that was not meant literally. Although you never know. People might do that as well, but that's not the point anyway.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I thought it was clear that was not meant literally. Although you never know. People might do that as well, but that's not the point anyway.

Hmmm ... did I miss a memo that establishes that your interpretation of a post that you did not write is always the only reasonable interpretation? ;)

Alba

Record Breaker
Hmmm ... did I miss a memo that establishes that your interpretation of a post that you did not write is always the only reasonable interpretation? ;)

I said nothing about my interpretation as being the only one reasonable, or memos. I said: "I thought", meaning that IMO that was clear enough, and he/she cleared that already.
So, there is no need to be on the defensive and use cheap sarcasm, really.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I said nothing about my interpretation as being the only one reasonable, or memos. I said: "I thought", meaning that IMO that was clear enough, and he/she cleared that already.
So, there is no need to be on the defensive and use cheap sarcasm, really.

Is there any need for you to persist in going on the offen- ...... oh, never mind. ;)

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Sorry, if I hurt Yasmina's fans feelings. I might be wrong - it is possible that no one will laugh. I will not for sure - I just will not watch her skate again - see no reason. But my point stays: if we are talking about competitive sports the best sportsmen should compete with much more generous seeding. Others should fight through qualification rounds. This is one of the conditions to how skaters can start earning money. And I am not against promoting FS in less obvious countries like Marocco. But I think that the best venue for this is Olympics because of its reach - not quite technical Grand Prix tour with 100 spectators and about a 1000 "crazy FS online fans".

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry, if I hurt Yasmina's fans feelings. I might be wrong - it is possible that no one will laugh. I will not for sure - I just will not watch her skate again - see no reason. But my point stays: if we are talking about competitive sports the best sportsmen should compete with much more generous seeding. Others should fight through qualification rounds. This is one of the conditions to how skaters can start earning money. And I am not against promoting FS in less obvious countries like Marocco. But I think that the best venue for this is Olympics because of its reach - not quite technical Grand Prix tour with 100 spectators and about a 1000 "crazy FS online fans".

Thx, samkrut. From your previous post, I did and do understand (and appreciate :)) that you yourself would not be laughing at Yasmina. And it certainly is your choice to make whether or not to watch her skate again.
(Not sure whether you are saying that it is detrimental to the sport to have included her as one of 23 junior ladies at Courchevel. In any case, to me, it is not detrimental. If a JGP spectator had zero interest in her programs, does not seem like such a terrible hardship to endure or ignore her seven minutes of skating -- and to focus instead on enjoying the 22 other junior ladies.)

Alba

Record Breaker
Is there any need for you to persist in going on the offen- ...... oh, never mind. ;)

Going on the offen? I don't understand.
I was not persisting on anything, on the contrary. You were the one who felt somehow "attacked", and gave me that reply.
It's ridiculous because I was not attacking you, and I certainly di not offend you in any way. I was not ironic or sarcastic towards you.
I actually like you.
You are one of the most gentle and educated users here, which is precious. So, I really don't get it.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Alba, some of the words in your post above are very kind :), and I sincerely thank you for them. And I do appreciate the many instances of your neighborliness on GS in general. :bow:
As for this thread: I obviously do not agree with your perspective on how our conversation unfolded. I am entitled to my perspective, and you are entitled to yours. Any attempt to explain my perspective further will make me vulnerable to another labeling as defensive, so I will avoid that no-win situation and end this post here ... except to say that I do hope and believe that you and I can make a fresh start next time, whenever that may be. :yes:

Alba

Record Breaker
Alba, some of the words in your post above are very kind :), and I sincerely thank you for them. And I do appreciate the many instances of your neighborliness on GS in general. :bow:
As for this thread: I obviously do not agree with your perspective on how our conversation unfolded. I am entitled to my perspective, and you are entitled to yours. Any attempt to explain my perspective further will make me vulnerable to another labeling as defensive, so I will avoid that no-win situation and end this post here ... except to say that I do hope and believe that you and I can make a fresh start next time, whenever that may be. :yes:

Don't worry. Nothing happened. We're good.:)