Russian Test Skates 2014 | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Russian Test Skates 2014

shine

Record Breaker
She took so many moves directly from Kostner's program! :eek: Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, I guess.

darazam

On the Ice
I am sure Saransk is a nice place but I am not sure that a lot of people would go there even to see the main intrigue of the season - ladies' competition. The train logistics is awfull especially the return. 10hour trip with the arrival at 6 a.m. Moreover, the departure time is 20:40 - can miss a part of competition or have to stay another day. What's wrong with Sochi? More than a dozen flights every day at any time, Iceberg is 15 minutes from the airport, a lot of accomodation. I am coming.
I would totally go to Saransk cause it's way more cheaper. Sochi? No thanks.
And that "dozen flights" is from Moscow. Not every city has airport, while for many people in Central Russia and even at the Urals Saransk would be an easy place to get to by train.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I would totally go to Saransk cause it's way more cheaper. Sochi? No thanks.
And that "dozen flights" is from Moscow. Not every city has airport, while for many people in Central Russia and even at the Urals Saransk would be an easy place to get to by train.

I absolutely agree and I'm going too. It's just 1.5 hours from me. I don't even have to unpack my stuff in the train :)

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Makes me wonder how that entire Olympic complex is being utilized, and to what extent there is sufficient local interest for events to still be hosted at places like the Iceberg. It is further a cost to get the athletes there. Why not Moscow? Larger potential pool of fans and lower cost I would think, though I could be wrong.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Sochi, Iceberg is gonna be half-empty at best :laugh:

Iceberg has 12000 seats so that I would argue that 6000 would be half-full rather than half-empty. Saransk btw has only 3000 seats. Judging by the attendance of Averbukh's show people go to Iceberg eagerly. Yes, now it is still the summer season. But end of December will be the ski season already plus people will come for the New Year.

So, I think it is not a bad idea after all, and Iceberg should definitely be half-full at least for the ladies. But, of course, Moscow would be a better choice, for me for sure. I guess, they want to utilize at least Iceberg. Other facilities are basically idle.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Makes me wonder how that entire Olympic complex is being utilized, and to what extent there is sufficient local interest for events to still be hosted at places like the Iceberg. It is further a cost to get the athletes there. Why not Moscow? Larger potential pool of fans and lower cost I would think, though I could be wrong.

Formula 1 Sochi Grand Prix is on 10-12 October.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Yes, and I forgot that today I heard on the radio that Russia has new coaches for curling. They have arranged 2 top ladies teams at the same time. One is based on the Olympic team and the other is brand new. The base for them is Sochi so that the curling facility is utilized.

The main question is about Fisht - the 40000 seat arena for ceremonies and big events. Its maintenance will cost a lot of money. But to demolish it, I guess, is also a bad idea.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Could it be turned into a soccer stadium or something? That's what we did with Stadium Australia (now ANZ Stadium) - it's now a grass surface used for rugby league/rugby union/soccer. I think the old Olympic running track is still there, but it's not used often.

Rhodium

On the Ice
Could it be turned into a soccer stadium or something? That's what we did with Stadium Australia (now ANZ Stadium) - it's now a grass surface used for rugby league/rugby union/soccer. I think the old Olympic running track is still there, but it's not used often.

Initially they projected to convert the arena into a cycling velodrome, but now there is no info about it.

HR4

On the Ice
Fisht is built huge to be one of the stadiums for the Soccer World Championships 2018. Moreover they now try to make up a local soccer team in Sochi, so it has hypothetical perspectives to be used. The Iceberg were supposed to become cycling arena, but I haven't heard anything of it since Olympics.