Boyang Jin 4Lz | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Boyang Jin 4Lz

Meoima

Match Penalty
But then again, I hope he has a more consistent 3A on the offshoot that he does continue to perform quads since that can still be a downfall later.
You can see his 3A here in this performance. I have to say maybe a not good 3A led to his obsession with quad: http://youtu.be/XDhjlDoYs50
The quad Lutz in his practice was much more impressive than the quads in his performance, though. Maybe because of nerve?

unico

Final Flight
You can see his 3A here in this performance. I have to say maybe a not good 3A led to his obsession with quad: http://youtu.be/XDhjlDoYs50
The quad Lutz in his practice was much more impressive than the quads in his performance, though. Maybe because of nerve?

Certainly an incredibly talented rotator, but I feel like it's a bit of quantity over quality. Doesn't really rack up the GOEs.

Still, three quads! Not bad at all for a 16 year old junior.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Very impressive jump. Probably wont be integrated into a lp or anything but skaters try stuff all the time.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Certainly an incredibly talented rotator, but I feel like it's a bit of quantity over quality. Doesn't really rack up the GOEs.

Pretty soon a lot of sixteen-year-olds are going to be pulling different quads, who knows :p

mercury

Rinkside
I am now seriously concerned for his safety.

We know the Chinese officials don't care, but I do - I want to see his body survive through to Seniors...they're doing this through his growing phase too which increases the chance of injury.

I think his case is more about his coaching than the fed though. He is a jump genius but there are a number of areas he needs to work on his skate.

The quality and quantity issues, well a can of worms just not worthwhile to open it....

The young guns are all going to have at least one quad. The markings encourage it, not only in TES but also in PCS.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
i think figure skating latent mostly are born, hardwork can only push you to a certain level if without the perfect innate talent including body-type, musicality etc. Boyong has a very similar body-type to Yuzuru at least for the moment. Quads jump may be easier and not that detrimental to them.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
i think figure skating latent mostly are born, hardwork can only push you to a certain level if without the perfect innate talent including body-type, musicality etc. Boyong has a very similar body-type to Yuzuru at least for the moment. Quads jump may be easier and not that detrimental to them.

Sorry but that body-type junk is rubbish. A quad has the same impact on everybody. Boyang is sixteen and not done growing yet - he could seriously damage himself. I think Yuzuru's lack of body mass is going to catch up with him sooner or later. I think it already does, in a way, since he seems incapable of finishing a long program without being totally dead at the end of it.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru's lack of body mass is going to catch up with him sooner or later. I think it already does, in a way, since he seems incapable of finishing a long program without being totally dead at the end of it.

I think Yuzuru is currently working on gaining some more muscles as he talked recently somewhere. I don't think he can do too much about loosing power at thend of LP. I think it is because of his asthma as he is loosing oxygen faster, but anyway his stamina improved hugely over last season.

Anyway coming back to Boyang. As much as I am fan of quads and jumps, this time I got somewhat like afraid feeling rather than wow. As Karne mentioned he is just 16. I can understand quad sal, quad toe. It is somewhat standard currently, but quad lutzes already at this age. I don't know. It was very hard landing. I hope they will not "worn" him out until he turns to senior, really..

jkun

Final Flight
can someone clarify something for me. Is that very loud thump noise that occurs at landing his coach thumping on the boards or is that just a ridiculously horrendous landing sound...

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
can someone clarify something for me. Is that very loud thump noise that occurs at landing his coach thumping on the boards or is that just a ridiculously horrendous landing sound...

I just rewatched. Sounds to me like it's from the landing, coupled with the coach's reaction noise, then comes the board-smacking afterwards. Quad landings in practice are surprisingly loud w/o the music and commentators you'd hear during a competition (at least they are to me, sounding like they must have just broken their leg), but his 4Lz here is really loud imo, especially when you take into account that he is pretty petite.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
In any kinda sports, body type always plays a huge role, there are certain body-type that is the best fit for certain sports or skills. imagine a obese people do a quad, then, a skinny muscling guy do a quad, which has more impact and damage on the body.
I am all for protect young skaters, hate that fed/parents/coaches pushes young skater regardless their health. but cannot deny, some people are more gifted.

jkun

Final Flight
I just rewatched. Sounds to me like it's from the landing, coupled with the coach's reaction noise, then comes the board-smacking afterwards. Quad landings in practice are surprisingly loud w/o the music and commentators you'd hear during a competition (at least they are to me, sounding like they must have just broken their leg), but his 4Lz here is really loud imo, especially when you take into account that he is pretty petite.

If it is indeed the landing it sounds ridiculously painful and awful. Feel bad for him. He should honestly work on other parts of his performance. He won't get anywhere just by having lots of quads, even if he is able to land all of them. (i.e. Brandon M, Kevin R).

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I think Yuzuru's lack of body mass is going to catch up with him sooner or later. I think it already does, in a way, since he seems incapable of finishing a long program without being totally dead at the end of it.
Yuzu has trouble finishing the LP because his LP is so. Physically. Demanding. Two quads + 8 triples, with two triple axels and all jump combinations in the second half. Any of his competitors who tried to skate his program would also look dead by the end. His asthma can't help either, not to mention he often starts his program with a fall thanks to the stupid salchow.

Yeah, I wish he wouldn't look so exhausted near the end of his programs (it's one of my pet peeves for all skaters, and imo it negatively affects performance and interpretation). But Yuzu's body type has nothing to do with his LP troubles.

elee63

Final Flight
If it is indeed the landing it sounds ridiculously painful and awful. Feel bad for him. He should honestly work on other parts of his performance. He won't get anywhere just by having lots of quads, even if he is able to land all of them. (i.e. Brandon M, Kevin R).

Kevin Reynolds, eh. I was thinking about him after I read the comment a couple lines up about quantity vs quantity. One may get the rotation, but not the GOEs, prime example right there.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Kevin Reynolds, eh. I was thinking about him after I read the comment a couple lines up about quantity vs quantity. One may get the rotation, but not the GOEs, prime example right there.
Kevin often doesn't get the rotation either--which also impacts the GOEs. ;) Not to mention his other jumps outside of the quads (not very good) and his PCS (not very good either... though maybe they'll get better now that he's Canada #1 barring a Chan return?)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzu has trouble finishing the LP because his LP is so. Physically. Demanding. Two quads + 8 triples, with two triple axels and all jump combinations in the second half. Any of his competitors who tried to skate his program would also look dead by the end. His asthma can't help either, not to mention he often starts his program with a fall thanks to the stupid salchow.

Max Aaron does two quads and two triple Axels but does a 2-6 layout with all of his triples including axels and combinations in the second half. He isn't dead by the end; he actually gets stronger.

And can Hanyu's fans please stop using the asthma as an excuse? Joshua Farris has asthma too and I've never seen HIM collapse on the ice.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Max Aaron does two quads and two triple Axels but does a 2-6 layout with all of his triples including axels and combinations in the second half. He isn't dead by the end; he actually gets stronger.

And can Hanyu's fans please stop using the asthma as an excuse? Joshua Farris has asthma too and I've never seen HIM collapse on the ice.
And is Max's layout "easy" for him? Can he skate it clean with little trouble? Plenty of skaters, with all body types, struggle with the physical demands of the LP--I don't see why you should single out Yuzuru in particular.

Yuzu backloads both 3As and pretty much hits them all season. Like you, I wish he didn't look so obviously exhausted, but he's basically okay with the program. It's what he does afterwards (the collapsing on the ice), which shouldn't have any bearing on how his performance is scored.

Asthma isn't an excuse--it's a reason. No one's saying Yuzu should be excused if he misses jumps because of his asthma.

lbc2138

On the Ice
And is Max's layout "easy" for him? Can he skate it clean with little trouble? Plenty of skaters, with all body types, struggle with the physical demands of the LP--I don't see why you should single out Yuzuru in particular.

Yuzu backloads both 3As and pretty much hits them all season. Like you, I wish he didn't look so obviously exhausted, but he's basically okay with the program. It's what he does afterwards (the collapsing on the ice), which shouldn't have any bearing on how his performance is scored.

Asthma isn't an excuse--it's a reason. No one's saying Yuzu should be excused if he misses jumps because of his asthma.

:clap:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yuzu has trouble finishing the LP because his LP is so. Physically. Demanding. Two quads + 8 triples, with two triple axels and all jump combinations in the second half.

It's true that he has a really physically demanding layout, but of the two quads, he can practically never land one of them properly in competition anyway (not a secret; really, it's not). In terms of jumps only, I think Javier might have a comparable layout with three quads (two of them salchows and one of the salchows usually in a 4-3 in a combination) and seven triples; I haven't done the CoP math, so I don't know if it's higher, but I'd estimate it to be within a very close range.

Last edited: